Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well there's always somewhat of a gamble involved. You gamble every time you step outside of your house. The fundamental point here is that government is increasing the risk substantially, and obviously, when you increase risk, the risk to reward ratio goes down, and businesses don't take as much action as they otherwise would.
If you cannot calculate future costs within a certain interval level, it's too dangerous to bother expanding. Wait until the storm calms down a bit would be the prudent approach and enjoy being mildly successful and flying under the radar screen. Take some time off and see the world and throttle down the business a bit. You can always hire back the employees when you return since the government is out of money to hire them and they won't be finding work in a contracted economy anyway. They'll be there when you come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Well there's always somewhat of a gamble involved. You gamble every time you step outside of your house. The fundamental point here is that government is increasing the risk substantially, and obviously, when you increase risk, the risk to reward ratio goes down, and businesses don't take as much action as they otherwise would.
Oh, I took action.

With the exception of my business account, I took all of my money out of banks.

It was not earning enough interest to bother anyway.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Yup..especially when they change the rules of the game with the swipe of a pen.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you cannot calculate future costs within a certain interval level, it's too dangerous to bother expanding. Wait until the storm calms down a bit would be the prudent approach and enjoy being mildly successful and flying under the radar screen. Take some time off and see the world and throttle down the business a bit. You can always hire back the employees when you return.
Exactly. What is uncertainty though? It's just more risk - you're gambling on what the government may or may not do in the future. Risk to reward ratio drops even more.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
“How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”

Just do them like you did yesterday... lay them off!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Again, I ask: Please be explicit about which of Obama's policies has raised the cost of doing business for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tax increases signed by Obama into law
$17B new taxes for those who do not purchase health insurance
$52B new taxes for those who fail to comply with government insurance mandates
$32B in a new 40% exercise tax on high cost health plans
$5B cost of new ban on over the counter drugs using money from FSAs, HSAs, HRA's.
$210.2B Increased medicare taxes on wages and self employed income by .9% and imposes a 3.8% surtax on other investment income.
$15.2B cost due to an increase from 7.5% to 10% of income in threahold after which individuals can deduct out of pocket medical expenses
$13B due to a $2,500 annual cap on FSA contributions
$60.1B in new taxes on health insurances
$27B annual tax on brand name pharmaceuticals
$20B tax from a 2.3% excise tax on medical devices
$2.7B tax from a 10% tax on tanning services
$2.6B tax on insured and self insured health plans
$1.4B penalty tax on non qualified HSA distributions
$4.5B tax due to the elimination of a deduction for expenses allocatable to Medicare Part D subsidy
$600M tax due to limited deductions for compensation to officers, employers and directors of health insurance providers
$17.1B to require information reporting on payments to corporations.
$400M to impose additional requirements for section 501(c)(3) for hospitals
$23.6B tax credit removed a "black liquor" needed for cellulosic biofuel producer.
$4.5B Codify economic substance doctrine and impose penalties for underpayments.
$65.5B tax hikes in the SCHIP bill
$6.97B tax hike in the stimulus bill to repeal guidance allowing taxpayers to claim losses from acquired corporations
$2.578B tax hike in unemployment benefits law creating a surcharge tax extension through 6/11
$20.123B cost to delay the rules to reduce the double taxation of american employers until 2018.

Total tax hikes so far under Obama $670.341 BILLION, many of which hits EVERYONE.

Ignoring the tax increases while celebrating the cuts is a foolish thing to do.
Shall we discuss the unfunded mandates passed onto the states which increase state costs as well, the reduction in the value of the dollar, the skyrocketing commodities and others?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
“How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”

Just do them like you did yesterday... lay them off!
That's what will happen in many cases. Don't worry though, we can always blame the republicans.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
The Krugman Keynesian Klan has an idea: just start another public works project to hire them back. Reduce competition to help increase prices and prevent a depression. That's the ticket!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Shall we discuss the unfunded mandates passed onto the states which increase state costs as well, the reduction in the value of the dollar, the skyrocketing commodities and others?
Please provide a link for your diatribe, with dates these taxes were enacted, and dates when they go into effect. It looks like a cut and paste to me, with the source left off for some reason.

Please specify which unfunded mandates you're talking about.

Please show the decline in the value of the dollar since Obama took office.

Please show specifics about "skyrocketing" commodities, and explain what "others" you are talking about.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide a link for your diatribe, with dates these taxes were enacted, and dates when they go into effect. It looks like a cut and paste to me, with the source left off for some reason.

Please specify which unfunded mandates you're talking about.

Please show the decline in the value of the dollar since Obama took office.

Please show specifics about "skyrocketing" commodities, and explain what "others" you are talking about.
Even if this was all pure fantasy on the part of us business owners, the fact still remains that uncertainty is a huge part of the problem.

Are you going to deny that there is uncertainty in this economy with the massive growth of government being pushed by the current administration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies