Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

I actually would like to see pictures of scarred livers and Jacqueline Saburido on containers of alcohol if they're gonna do it with cigarettes. I've said this plenty of times on this forum but I sincerely think alcohol is far worse for society than cigarettes (and yet I don't support banning alcohol).

Doesn't really matter though, I usually use a cigarette case so I'll see the box for a grand total of about 10 seconds before tossing it. I also hear that in countries where they've been doing this for a while they sell these little sleeves to put on the packs so you can't see them.

Sorry FDA, you can't win this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
You know what - there are always going to be people in the world who will put a cat in a microwave oven, take 4 tylenol instead of 1, shower and blow dry their hair at the same time etc. When will the government figure out that it cannot save us from ourselves!

All this fuss over cigarettes and you just TRY to put a warning label on a handgun or shotgun! (Do not use when angry! Or during the commission of a crime!) THAT will NEVER happen!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Ahhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!! That is too funny.

Remember back in the 70's, (yes I am older than dirt) we had these things called "wacky packages", there were detergents, candy, cigarettes all kinds of household stuff with wacky names and crazy packaging. We bought them off the ice cream man, and they came with candy or gum.....

Your right a box of Marlboros will have one pic, Newports will have another, they might even become collectors items.

I'll take the non breathing baby for 2 Alex....
i remember those

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

218 posts, read 148,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
get a load of this one

is there a single person in the whole country who doesn't already know that smoking can be bad for one's health?
Young kids would benefit from seeing the pictures, the visual may kill their desire to start smoking. Old folks, of course, are going to be too jaded to be influenced by photos...and far too addicted.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not a problem. I hike circles around my non-smoking buddies while puffing on my cigarettes. I get outside all the time, while they sit indoors on their fat flabby asses. Sure, they have great lungs, but no muscle.

It is very obvious that you know absolutely nothing about smoking or tobacco or its effects, other than the government propaganda that you are being fed. More is the pity, but as P.T. Barnum once said, "there is a sucker born every minute." Apparently the government has found theirs in you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have smoked for a long time. My daughter and I used to go to a park with places to climb and trails that went up and down hills. She got WAY more tired than me..had to stop and rest much more often than me. She was about 10 or 11 years old at the time and I was a 25-year smoker (and still smoke).

Ex-smokers are the most rabid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Is it?If you ingest a rat poison, is there a CHANCE you will become ill or is it a certainty?

Well it is not actually a poison like that at all and people 'walk away' all the time.My wife just up and quite a few years ago,never smoked again.

Well because it isn't the government's business whether you smoke or not,or drink or not,or skydive or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So why bother with a double better warning?
Cite please.How is it people quit every day if smokers '' have to not because they want to thanks to all the addictive additives they put in ''

So...they have to smoke and if they want to smoke they will but a stronger warning might stop them....

That makes little sense but does sound like you care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So? Are you suggesting that the end justifies the means?

Then let's put pictures of drowned kids on swimming pool ads.

Let's put pictures of obese kids on packages of french fries.

Let's put pictures of mangled bodies on car ads.....

there are always exceptions to the rule, sure some smokers can do physical things and do the better then "someone" else. that does not mean that smoking is not harmful to their bodies. the lungs are not designed to take in anything but air. hard to truly believe that you smokers truly think it is not harming you at all because you can walk a mile.

I could truly care less if people smoked. I loved smoking and did it heavily for decades. I am far from rabid. I do however know how difficult it is for most smokers to quit. sure people quit everyday, how many quit for good? some people can and do quit the first time out and don't have a hard time doing so. that is not the norm. most smokers quit multiple times before they can quit, and a good deal can't do it cold turkey and need nicotine replacement to step down and quit.

until a smoker tries to quit for the long haul will they know how addicted they really are and how much the addiction effects their thinking. junkie thinking is responsible for more people being unable to overcome the addiction than the physical withdrawal. don't believe it I don't care. if it wasn't so addictive why do smokers have to smoke, some every 15 to 20 mins, every waking hour of every waking day?

as to the pictures, the more graphic they are the more the real dangers to all us regular folks may get the idea it can kill ya, unlike the super people in this thread who are so positive it won't.

if you smokers had any nads you would try to quit but then your addiction tells you "you don't really want to quit" after all "you enjoy it"

been there done that. detox is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM

218 posts, read 148,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there are always exceptions to the rule, sure some smokers can do physical things and do the better then "someone" else. that does not mean that smoking is not harmful to their bodies. the lungs are not designed to take in anything but air. hard to truly believe that you smokers truly think it is not harming you at all because you can walk a mile.

I could truly care less if people smoked. I loved smoking and did it heavily for decades. I am far from rabid. I do however know how difficult it is for most smokers to quit. sure people quit everyday, how many quit for good? some people can and do quit the first time out and don't have a hard time doing so. that is not the norm. most smokers quit multiple times before they can quit, and a good deal can't do it cold turkey and need nicotine replacement to step down and quit.

until a smoker tries to quit for the long haul will they know how addicted they really are and how much the addiction effects their thinking. junkie thinking is responsible for more people being unable to overcome the addiction than the physical withdrawal. don't believe it I don't care. if it wasn't so addictive why do smokers have to smoke, some every 15 to 20 mins, every waking hour of every waking day?

as to the pictures, the more graphic they are the more the real dangers to all us regular folks may get the idea it can kill ya, unlike the super people in this thread who are so positive it won't.

if you smokers had any nads you would try to quit but then your addiction tells you "you don't really want to quit" after all "you enjoy it"

been there done that. detox is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy
Common sense does not seem to be in abundance in people with strong addictions. Denial rules the day.....usually until the day the disease overcomes them.

Hopefully the pictures will have an effect on kids who are considering becoming smokers. Also, does anyone deny that there are many people in the U.S who CANNOT READ? Pictures speak a thousand words, as they say.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Sieg heil to the nanny state then? You say common sense is not in abundance in addicts... okay... how about in the general population? Unless you believe in predestination and that some people are just fated to take that first puff.

Was it stupid of me to ever try one cigarette? Of course. But I was completely informed of the health risks and made a conscious adult decision to try one.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Yeah the old warning labels were in English,thats just racist

Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwithpain View Post
Young kids would benefit from seeing the pictures, the visual may kill their desire to start smoking. Old folks, of course, are going to be too jaded to be influenced by photos...and far too addicted.
i'm not so sure; adolescents generally think they're immortal. or that they can start now and quit later.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwithpain View Post
Common sense does not seem to be in abundance in people with strong addictions. Denial rules the day.....usually until the day the disease overcomes them.

Hopefully the pictures will have an effect on kids who are considering becoming smokers. Also, does anyone deny that there are many people in the U.S who CANNOT READ? Pictures speak a thousand words, as they say.

what a great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies