Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The right are hilarious in this thread with all the lies they believe
The teachers in that state who have masters and grad school degrees make on average about 25k a year to start and the veteran teachers around 47K which is just national average wages. Those greedy union thugs
Now that you have quoted those numbers from the union how about telling us how much they get at retirement and how much they paid into the system to get that money. It is taking all the retirement money from taxpayers and so little from the union members that is causing the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Looks like ol' Scotty doesn't have much longer in office, the people standing for liberty are still fired up

Protesters out in force at Devil

The boats at the beginning are great, also when he gets punked at 2:35 "You ought to be ashamed of yourself"

YouTube - ‪A Day At Devil's Lake With Scott Walker 6-25-11‬‏
I think there may have been more Tea Partiers there than union thugs but surely the thugs chanted well, just like they practiced. There weren't many people there but sure not all of them were in on the chants.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
lol,Wisconsin voters aren't stupid. I am sure they recognize these protests for what they are. Unions versus tax payers............
"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half"- Railroad magnet Jay Gould

Shorebaby, you and others like you are EXACTLY who Gould had in mind.

Somewhere, the Koch Bros are reading your posts, and laughing their asses off.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,724,746 times
Default No complaints but underskilled and grossly overpaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Or for those whose labor has little value, but want to be grossly overpaid at someone else's expense - and given benefits way beyond what their skillsets would normally earn them.
Hey thanks for that assessment of me. And it is a hugely over generalized one at that. I currently work for the State of California (Department of Health Care Services). I am there because I can combine my financial background with an interest in health care. I have worked around 30 years in the accounting field, with a few in private industry, a few in public accounting. I have a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration and am a CPA. With 20 plus years of experience, I make less than $80k, now getting three weeks of vacation (after 15 years of service). I have friends with the same skill set and relative experience. Bear in mind that it is a difficult comparison because our respective types of work are quite unique. Almost without exception, the ones in private industry all make 20 to 35% more than I do. Some even more than that. Good for them. If they can take the heat / risk, they deserve the pay.

I will get a pension...maybe...60% of my salary (average of the last three years) at age 55...maybe...

If I live 20 years past retirement (actuarials say I won't), I will earn an additional $900,000 in that time frame. If I averaged $65k for the 30 years I worked...that averages out at about $90k or so per year for 30 years. That is about the same as my private pay cohorts that average about $90 to $95k over 30 years.

So am I overpaid? Underqualified? Maybe. But Joe Public, who has no shortage of opinions on the matter, is not qualified to say so. He or she has no real idea of what I do or whether there are tangible benefits of my service. to make such blanket statements is a disservice to those who provide real and valued services.

I say this to the powers that be. Put a value on what I do and pay it to me...just like anywhere else. If you do not value the service I provide, then stop providing it and don't pay me. Period. Otherwise shut the f**k up! And quit comparing us, the oranges, to the apples of private industry.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Unions are for high school dropouts and people too stupid to negotiate the value of their own labor.

WORD!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

89,070 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
The right are hilarious in this thread with all the lies they believe
The teachers in that state who have masters and grad school degrees make on average about 25k a year to start and the veteran teachers around 47K which is just national average wages. Those greedy union thugs
Hmmm... with all those 'graduate teaching degrees' why can't they educate even half the state's students to bare-minimum grade-level proficiency levels?

Quote:
WI isn't that much better.

Let's look at WI's reported state test proficiency level vs. the NAEP* proficiency level (to see how honest WI is about providing an adequate education). Other states are listed, too:
NAEP Researchcenter - NAEP and State Equivalent Percent Table
For each grade level, the first column lists the percentage of students scoring as proficient (meets or exceeds state standards) on the state test; the second column lists the percentage of students scoring as proficient on the NAEP (National Assessment).

* National Assessment of Educational Progress

Hmmm... only about 1/3 of WI students can meet even basic grade-level proficiency standards.
Most of those heavily 'degreed' teachers sure are doing a **** poor job.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now that you have quoted those numbers from the union how about telling us how much they get at retirement and how much they paid into the system to get that money. It is taking all the retirement money from taxpayers and so little from the union members that is causing the problem.
rsb...can you explain this further? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

89,070 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
If you do not value the service I provide, then stop providing it and don't pay me. Period. Otherwise shut the f**k up!
Um... yeah. That's what Walker and the majority of the voters are trying to do in WI.

But union thugs are squealing like stuck pigs.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,466,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Hey thanks for that assessment of me. And it is a hugely over generalized one at that. I currently work for the State of California (Department of Health Care Services). I am there because I can combine my financial background with an interest in health care. I have worked around 30 years in the accounting field, with a few in private industry, a few in public accounting. I have a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration and am a CPA. With 20 plus years of experience, I make less than $80k, now getting three weeks of vacation (after 15 years of service). I have friends with the same skill set and relative experience. Bear in mind that it is a difficult comparison because our respective types of work are quite unique. Almost without exception, the ones in private industry all make 20 to 35% more than I do. Some even more than that. Good for them. If they can take the heat / risk, they deserve the pay.

I will get a pension...maybe...60% of my salary (average of the last three years) at age 55...maybe...

If I live 20 years past retirement (actuarials say I won't), I will earn an additional $900,000 in that time frame. If I averaged $65k for the 30 years I worked...that averages out at about $90k or so per year for 30 years. That is about the same as my private pay cohorts that average about $90 to $95k over 30 years.

So am I overpaid? Underqualified? Maybe. But Joe Public, who has no shortage of opinions on the matter, is not qualified to say so. He or she has no real idea of what I do or whether there are tangible benefits of my service. to make such blanket statements is a disservice to those who provide real and valued services.

I say this to the powers that be. Put a value on what I do and pay it to me...just like anywhere else. If you do not value the service I provide, then stop providing it and don't pay me. Period. Otherwise shut the f**k up! And quit comparing us, the oranges, to the apples of private industry.
Mr. Floyd, if you do indeed work for the state of Cali. then you know as well as I do that there are people in your agency and the others as well that have floated to the top spots and are complete idiots who couldn't manage their way out of a damn paper bag. I work for the state of NJ and see it every single day, week after week, year after year. Some kiss azz weakling gets a promotion only to have to have ANOTHER person hired to do their job because they just can't do it. Be happy you're not one of those, I'm not either. I'm under paid, working OUT OF TITLE, have been for 6 1/2 years and our union says, "I know, they are F'd up, they do what they want".

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... with all those 'graduate teaching degrees' why can't they educate even half the state's students to bare-minimum grade-level proficiency levels?

Most of those heavily 'degreed' teachers sure are doing a **** poor job.
Lets get the opinions of educators as to the reasons for why passing rates are where they are. The rest of us who are not in the profession, or studying it, have no real ideas of our own as to the reasons for the state of education being where it is. So to avoid sounding stupid and closed minded, we ought to keep our opinions to a minimum.

I do a fair amount of reading on the subject and am married to an educator. Does this qualify me to assess education? Not really. But it does make me believe that putting all the blame on the teacher for the decline in American education is short sighted at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies