Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,900,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The "poor" in the USA don't know what poor really means.

Our poor sit in air-conditioned homes, watching their nice cable big screen televisions, chowing down on more food than they should be eating and feel ever so sorry for themselves. They really don't know what poverty is.

The majority of "poor" in the USA have at least one television, at least one car, all the food they can eat, more food in fact than people who work for a living, most have cell phones, air-conditioning and plenty of heat in the winter. What more could someone want?

Stop that. You're making it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So, I actually was in a coma yesterday.. having dreams, right?
When I was 16-17 and I worked for a year at a cash register and saw this .. this never happened, right?
I said, we've all heard a lot of these stories. I don't understand how so many people see this happening every other day, and yet some of us don't see it once a year. Of course, your experience as a cashier puts you in a different position.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Well with our rating decreased Congress will now have to do something.
Watch for cutbacks and when those cuts come then you will see "anger take to the streets"

Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,394,179 times
Quote:
Alright, I can't wait to hear the excuses people come up with for this situation.

We went food shopping at our local supermarket. We were behind this -- what appeared to be -- a mother and teenage daughter. They had 2 shopping carts FILLED to the brim (as well as filled underneath the cart). It was filled with at least 10 12 packs of sodas, WAY too many "Banquet" TV dinners, chips and other snacks, a bunch of "just add water" meals/sides, frozen chicken wings (already cooked in BBQ sauce) and just other things that arent really food. We laughed because we did not see one fruit or vegetable there at all. Their total was somewhere over $200 and when the cashier asked how ill you pay she said food stamps (i thought that was kinda awkward), and swiped her card and they left.. lol

Oh, by the way. The entire time of just standing there never bagging one bit of their groceries (a pet peeve of me personally, but then again I didn't expect people like this to ever lift a finger), they were both playing around on their iPhones.

So tell me: Is this a prime example of poverty or what?
You were in line behind people who spend their benefit money foolishly on junk and have expensive cell phones....what was the confusion about that?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I said, we've all heard a lot of these stories. I don't understand how so many people see this happening every other day, and yet some of us don't see it once a year. Of course, your experience as a cashier puts you in a different position.
What's really bad is that the super market I worked at in Philly was in a so called bad neighborhood. So, we then assume "poverty" when we think of bad 'hoods. I don't think I ever saw one person that truly looked like they lived in what is called "poverty". I think the significant confusion that both sides of this argument is how we determine the words. Some people will say that the lady in front of me in line was "living in poverty" because she was on the stamps.. but others will say no, and most likely abusing the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You were in line behind people who spend their benefit money foolishly on junk and have expensive cell phones....what was the confusion about that?
The confusion is that people tend to never acknowledge these situations. People will just cry "poverty!" and not realize that these people are in no way living in poverty. 2 cart fulls of "food" + an expensive phone is no where near poverty

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The confusion is that people tend to never acknowledge these situations. People will just cry "poverty!" and not realize that these people are in no way living in poverty. 2 cart fulls of "food" + an expensive phone is no where near poverty
I see people on these threads acknowledge these situations all the time. What I don't see is people saying that those people represent the majority of the people on assistance, which is what seems to be the mindset here.

Maybe the reason you see more people scamming the system is because the ones who are really in need aren't as obvious.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I see people on these threads acknowledge these situations all the time. What I don't see is people saying that those people represent the majority of the people on assistance, which is what seems to be the mindset here.

Maybe the reason you see more people scamming the system is because the ones who are really in need aren't as obvious.
I never once thought it was the majority. Maybe in certain cities/towns, yes.. (I really think the area I worked in when I was a teen was full of it, honestly).

With that being said, what if 25% of all welfare recipients are abusing the program. Some of you look at it and go "ohhhh it's only 25%!".. but that's still 25% of OUR MONEY that can be spent elsewhere.

Reform needs to happen.
Those who need help, get help
Those who want help, get laughed at.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I never once thought it was the majority. Maybe in certain cities/towns, yes.. (I really think the area I worked in when I was a teen was full of it, honestly).

With that being said, what if 25% of all welfare recipients are abusing the program. Some of you look at it and go "ohhhh it's only 25%!".. but that's still 25% of OUR MONEY that can be spent elsewhere.

Reform needs to happen.
Those who need help, get help
Those who want help, get laughed at.
Agree with you BUT in order to reform and monitor the program in order to reduce fraud (it can never completely be eliminated) they would need more workers, which would mean more government jobs.

Don't know about your state but those jobs were among the first to go in Florida.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,764,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
If you are sitting here arguing over "poor" people having VCR's then obviously you do not know what is going around around you. Because you've bought into the deception of being distracted while things that REALLY impact your life, decrease your standard of living, and take away your freedoms move right along because you are stuck in the trap that was set for you.
Too bad that you have no idea what you are talking about because, I have know for quite some time now how the government is out to destroy the middle class and it all started way before Obama.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,400,082 times
It seems to me, many here know a lot about "handouts". Where do I get in line for these supposed "handouts"? The one "handout" I feel blessed to recieve is a fuel voucher from Citizen's energy each winter. For the past two years I've recieved a 100 gallon fuel voucher compliments of Venezuela. It seems as though there are some that believe that the poorest of Americans should be living on rice and beans, without a phone, internet access or shoes.
I have a dvd player, a Christmas gist from our kids a few years ago that's mainly used when the grandkids come to visit and bring their movies. Is that a luxery item that "poor people" aren't supposed to have?
Those that seem to think that private charity groups should be where the poor, the elderly and the disabled seek support are somewhat misguided. Most charitable foundations are also struggling. Some posters have suggested that they will contribute when and where they want to but, a very small segment of the population is actually contributing in a significant way. It seems to me that some would prefer workhouses and orphanages to "public safety nets".
Let's all remember that most of us are one job loss, illness or catastrophy away from being in "their shoes". "There but for the grace of God go I."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies