Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,090,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How many of the millions of poor are elderly?
what does that matter?

If they are elderly and poor, then they can receive handouts just like the younger poor can. It is not age based to determine eligibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

353 posts, read 907,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Why don't you tell us? There are many people who can actually play on the computer and also know what is going on around them.
If you are sitting here arguing over "poor" people having VCR's then obviously you do not know what is going around around you. Because you've bought into the deception of being distracted while things that REALLY impact your life, decrease your standard of living, and take away your freedoms move right along because you are stuck in the trap that was set for you.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,915,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
what does that matter?

If they are elderly and poor, then they can receive handouts just like the younger poor can. It is not age based to determine eligibility.
You missed the point of my question.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You missed the point of my question.
the point is, your question had no relevance to my post which was in response to another persons post.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,903,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Right make assumptions. You are just showing you know nothing about the poor.
Make assumptions? Did you not see what I posted prior to that? I saw what looked like a mother and daughter (the only assumption I made).. they had 2 carts full of CRAPPY "food". Lots of sodas, chips, snacks etc etc. No fruits, no vegetables...

When asked how will you pay she said "food stamps". Swiped her card and the 2 of them left.

The whole time the cashier was ringing them up, they BOTH were playing on their iPhones.

So I ask: How is this lady "POOR" and in need of "HELP"? If, because of handouts, she can afford an iPhone for herself and daughter (and who knows who else), then clearly the system failed as we are giving too much. You really think people who don't lift a finger to help themselves deserve a HIGH standard of living? That lady was a prime example of what I used to see DAILY when I worked at a Super Market.

YOU are the one making assumptions. Maybe YOU had some tough times in your life, collected the stamps, and are just taking general offense to this whole thread. If you received help and you are no longer on the stamps, then the YOU used the system for what it's for. A lot of other people that I have seen in line, as well as rung them up while I was a cashier at a super market.. hardly appear to look like they are living in "POVERTY"

Quote:
what does that matter?

You are absolutely right. It's not age based to determine eligibility, it's your ability to know how to work the system.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Make assumptions? Did you not see what I posted prior to that? I saw what looked like a mother and daughter (the only assumption I made).. they had 2 carts full of CRAPPY "food". Lots of sodas, chips, snacks etc etc. No fruits, no vegetables...

When asked how will you pay she said "food stamps". Swiped her card and the 2 of them left.

The whole time the cashier was ringing them up, they BOTH were playing on their iPhones.

So I ask: How is this lady "POOR" and in need of "HELP"? If, because of handouts, she can afford an iPhone for herself and daughter (and who knows who else), then clearly the system failed as we are giving too much. You really think people who don't lift a finger to help themselves deserve a HIGH standard of living? That lady was a prime example of what I used to see DAILY when I worked at a Super Market.

YOU are the one making assumptions. Maybe YOU had some tough times in your life, collected the stamps, and are just taking general offense to this whole thread. If you received help and you are no longer on the stamps, then the YOU used the system for what it's for. A lot of other people that I have seen in line, as well as rung them up while I was a cashier at a super market.. hardly appear to look like they are living in "POVERTY"

You are absolutely right. It's not age based to determine eligibility, it's your ability to know how to work the system.
So you are saying that if my family had no income at all we couldnt get foodstamps and all unless we knew how to work the system? That is not correct. It is dependent on income and assets. If a person is truly poor, they do not need to work the system to receive assistance, it is those that are not truly poor that work the system to get it.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that if my family had no income at all we couldnt get foodstamps and all unless we knew how to work the system? That is not correct. It is dependent on income and assets. If a person is truly poor, they do not need to work the system to receive assistance, it is those that are not truly poor that work the system to get it.
Your right. The truly poor. But the minute you pull out your iPhone....that label of "poor" doesn't work anymore.

Funny how everyone ignores what I posted what I saw yesterday at the super market. I guess if we ignore it, it never happened.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,086,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Your right. The truly poor. But the minute you pull out your iPhone....that label of "poor" doesn't work anymore.

Funny how everyone ignores what I posted what I saw yesterday at the super market. I guess if we ignore it, it never happened.
We've heard way too many of these stories, most of them made up.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We've heard way too many of these stories, most of them made up.
So, I actually was in a coma yesterday.. having dreams, right?
When I was 16-17 and I worked for a year at a cash register and saw this .. this never happened, right?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Right make assumptions. You are just showing you know nothing about the poor.
The "poor" in the USA don't know what poor really means.

Our poor sit in air-conditioned homes, watching their nice cable big screen televisions, chowing down on more food than they should be eating and feel ever so sorry for themselves. They really don't know what poverty is.

The majority of "poor" in the USA have at least one television, at least one car, all the food they can eat, more food in fact than people who work for a living, most have cell phones, air-conditioning and plenty of heat in the winter. What more could someone want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies