Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
No wonder you have a miserable attitude.

Police officers are not above the law, whether it's something as trivial as a traffic infraction or more serious things like Fuhrman.
And this has what to do with the fact you a liar? You said the police officer was going to arrest you for disorderly conduct. In California, such a charge DOES NOT EXIST. Therefore, your entire premise is nothing but a lie. A complete, total lie you fabricated.

You have no clue what you are talking about and no idea what criminal law is, in the state of California.

You want to attack me and my profession. Feel free to do so. However, there are plenty of bad cops out there and their deeds to attack. DO NOT lie and fabricate BS, to bolster your point.

You got called out on a lie and lost. Live with it...It appears that is what your future will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And this has what to do with the fact you a liar? You said the police officer was going to arrest you for disorderly conduct. In California, such a charge DOES NOT EXIST. Therefore, your entire premise is nothing but a lie. A complete, total lie you fabricated.

You have no clue what you are talking about and no idea what criminal law is, in the state of California.

You want to attack me and my profession. Feel free to do so. However, there are plenty of bad cops out there and their deeds to attack. DO NOT lie and fabricate BS, to bolster your point.

You got called out on a lie and lost. Live with it...It appears that is what your future will be.
I never ever said he was going to arrest me for disorderly conduct. I said they often threaten such a charge in general. Disturbing the peace, obstruction, all kinds of stuff.

I'm not attacking you, I don't know you. I don't know where you work, where you don't work.

My observations of the police in Socal are what I've seen and what I've heard. I admit, not scientific, but there has to be some shred of evidence regarding the problems with law enforcement down here.

And no, I've never been arrested. I've never received more than a traffic citation. I'm an educated professional, as are many of my friends. And they share the same sentiments.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
If you're a cop you know a cop can pretty much arrest anybody for any reason and then say they attempted assault and/or were resisting arrest. They can charge them with anything, whether the charges stick or are dropped is another matter. Also when it comes down to the word of the cop vs. the word of the suspect who are the courts going to believe?

Why would an officer lie?

I would have believed that premise too, until being on the recieiving end of a liar behind a gun and a badge.

Yea, I lost my faith in the system and our domestic law enforcement at the same time. Suddenly all the people and stories you take with a grain of salt, you stop and go well, I'm not so sure anymore.

Then you start looking on the internet and seeing video of cops acting like schoolyard bullies, beating people down, slamming kids into walls - gunning citizens down in cold blood in broad daylight. SWAT teams banging down peoples doors and shooting em, 20, 30 times. Or dragging them out of their homes for delinquent school loans!!

What in Gods has happened to our country or has it always been like this and now the internet and technology just make it more visible?

When I was a kid I trusted cops. I was taught if you're in trouble look for a policemen or a firemen. That's not exactly what I teach my children today.
You make some true points and I, am NOT condoning bad behavior on the part of police officers. In fact, the exact opposite. I've put other police officers, more then once, in state prison, for their actions.

At the sametime, like it or not, the acts of "bad police officers," are few and far between. MOST police officers do their jobs to the best of their abilities and, moreover, within the confines of the law. Yes, the law YOU pass. Police officers don't pass laws; they enforce the laws the community want enforced.

For community X, the political winds are enforcing say domestic violence. For community Y, the political winds are enforcing drunk driving. That is what drives police agencies; not the police officers themselves. Understand, I can only arrest for A CRIME. Yes, can that crime be made worse? Yes, of course, however, again, that is few and far between and, like it or not, in this day and age, it is rare. VERY RARE. I started at a time when it was common place and believe me, the winds of tides have changed and so have the people who have come into police work.

My issue was with the person who said the officer, in California, threatened to arrest him for, "disorderly conduct." There is NO SUCH CRIME in California. And he/she/it LIED. They flat out lied, to bolster their point of view; probably, from the fact they couldn't be a police officer themself. I've seen it; time and time again.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I never ever said he was going to arrest me for disorderly conduct. I said they often threaten such a charge in general. Disturbing the peace, obstruction, all kinds of stuff.

I'm not attacking you, I don't know you. I don't know where you work, where you don't work.

My observations of the police in Socal are what I've seen and what I've heard. I admit, not scientific, but there has to be some shred of evidence regarding the problems with law enforcement down here.

And no, I've never been arrested. I've never received more than a traffic citation. I'm an educated professional, as are many of my friends. And they share the same sentiments.
Uh, yes you did. You flat out lied. A police officer in California can't arrest someone for "disturbing the peace." You flat out said: "DISORDERLY CONDUCT." You are a liar and I could care less who, what, where, you come from.

You want to attack the police, attack it. But be prepared for the truth. Something, you are highly lacking in.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM

I hear any number of those charges threatened ALL the time. Just because they can't do it doesn't mean they won't. Let's face, the LAPD and LASD are not known to always play by the rules.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,724 times
Quote:
I hear any number of those charges threatened ALL the time. Just because they can't do it doesn't mean they won't. Let's face, the LAPD and LASD are not known to always play by the rules.
You can't be arrested for a crime that doesn't exist. No cop, corrupt or otherwise is going to risk their career or subject themselves to disciplinary action or a false arrest lawsuit to put you in jail for a few hours for a non-existent crime.

If you're hearing those charges threatened all the time perhaps you should reevaluate your own behavior. The vast majority of people are able to get through life with no negative interactions with law enforcement. Many of those in that majority are not even "educated professionals" so avoiding the negative encounters must not be all that difficult.

I've found the policy of avoiding foolish behavior in foolish places with foolish people has worked well at minimizing any confrontations with cops.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
You can't be arrested for a crime that doesn't exist. No cop, corrupt or otherwise is going to risk their career or subject themselves to disciplinary action or a false arrest lawsuit to put you in jail for a few hours for a non-existent crime.

If you're hearing those charges threatened all the time perhaps you should reevaluate your own behavior. The vast majority of people are able to get through life with no negative interactions with law enforcement. Many of those in that majority are not even "educated professionals" so avoiding the negative encounters must not be all that difficult.

I've found the policy of avoiding foolish behavior in foolish places with foolish people has worked well at minimizing any confrontations with cops.
See but foolish doesn't equal criminal.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,227,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

You can certainly be arrested for a crime that does not exist. Happens all the time. Google on the arrests of the videographers in Las Vegas and Rochester NY...it is now pretty much agreed there was no law violated yet they were arrested. There is a similar case in Chicago.

So your basic thesis is obviously incorrect. LEOs will arrest for "dissing a cop"...and it is nothing new has always been true.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Uh, yes you did. You flat out lied. A police officer in California can't arrest someone for "disturbing the peace." You flat out said: "DISORDERLY CONDUCT." You are a liar and I could care less who, what, where, you come from.

You want to attack the police, attack it. But be prepared for the truth. Something, you are highly lacking in.

Disorderly conduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
States like California that have common law have disorderly conduct mentioned in different codes. California Penal Code § 415 which is similar to the Model Penal Code reiteration above actually concerns disturbing the peace. However, in California disorderly conduct (California Penal Code § 647) lists what acts constitute disorderly conduct. Section 647: Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor (a) Who solicits anyone to engage in or who engages in lewd or dissolute conduct in any public place or in any place open to the public or exposed to public view. (b) Who solicits or who agrees to engage in or who engages in any act of prostitution. A person agrees to engage in an act of prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, they manifest an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to so engage, regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person who also possessed the specific intent to engage in prostitution. No agreement to engage in an act of prostitution shall constitute a violation of this subdivision unless some act, in addition to the agreement, is done within this state in furtherance of the commission of an act of prostitution by the person agreeing to engage in that act. As used in this subdivision, "prostitution" includes any lewd act between persons for money or other consideration. (c) Who accosts other persons in any public place or in any place open to the public for the purpose of begging or soliciting alms. (d) Who loiters in or about any toilet open to the public for the purpose of engaging in or soliciting any lewd or lascivious or any unlawful act. (e) Who lodges in any building, structure, vehicle, or place,whether public or private, without the permission of the owner or person entitled to the possession or in control of it. (f) Who is found in any public place under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, controlled substance, or toluene, in a condition that they are unable to exercise care for their own safety or the safety of others, or by reason of their being under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, or toluene, interferes with or obstructs or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way. (h) Who loiters, prowls, or wanders upon the private property of another, at any time, without visible or lawful business with the owner or occupant. As used in this subdivision, "loiter" means to delay or linger without a lawful purpose for being on the property and for the purpose of committing a crime as opportunity may be discovered. (i) Who, while loitering, prowling, or wandering upon the private property of another, at any time, peeks in the door or window of any inhabited building or structure, without visible or lawful business with the owner or occupant. (j) (1) Any person who looks through a hole or opening, into, or otherwise views, by means of any instrumentality, including, but not limited to, a periscope, telescope, binoculars, camera, motion picture camera, or camcorder, the interior of a bedroom, bathroom, changing room, fitting room, dressing room, or tanning booth, or the interior of any other area in which the occupant has a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the intent to invade the privacy of a person or persons inside. This subdivision shall not apply to those areas of a private business used to count currency or other negotiable instruments.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You can certainly be arrested for a crime that does not exist. Happens all the time. Google on the arrests of the videographers in Las Vegas and Rochester NY...it is now pretty much agreed there was no law violated yet they were arrested. There is a similar case in Chicago.

So your basic thesis is obviously incorrect. LEOs will arrest for "dissing a cop"...and it is nothing new has always been true.
My basic thesis is fine. The charges against Emily Good were dismissed. The videographer in Las Vegas was released with no charges filed.

Both individuals are able to pursue damages for unlawful detention. The officers involved have opened themselves up to a world of grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies