Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, I am simply saying the law is clear at this time. Decriminalizing drugs will have widespread results, many positive. But there will still be burglars, rapists, gangbangers and the like.

Yes! And those are the types that we need to focus on with harsher sentencing and consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then I guess it pays to be responsible and abide by the laws. Of course it does. But people are human and make mistakes. Persecuting someone for life for a non-violent offense is ridiculous.

There is nothing that bars them from conducting their job search in another country. Oh sure, because it's that easy to go live in another country.

I say they should pay for the rest of their life. Part of the reason that you have crime is because you tolerate it. Wow. What if it was one of your family members? You're part of the problem not the solution!

The moment you adopt a Zero-Tolerance Policy you will see crimes decrease drastically. I agree. I'm all for a zero tolerance policy for violent offenders such as murderers, rapists, pedophiles, scam artists that rob people of their fortune...ect. Once convicted a bullet to the back of the head would be true justice as opposed to us taxpayers having to foot the bill for 3 hots and a cot for the next several years while we wait for the appeal process runs out. Sign me up!

Again, they are free to start their job search in another country. They are also free to employ themselves.

There was a guy in Dayton, Ohio who would park his car full of type-writer parts in the trunk and then go pound pavement all day long. He would go into a business and offer to repair their type-writers, and if they didn't need to be repaired, then he would offer products for sale, and if they didn't need those, he would offer to clean their type-writers --- for free.

He made the rounds on each business once a month and eventually they started buying his products and paying him to repair their type-writers and he eventually parlayed that into Smith Corona Office Typewriters and then later sold copier and fax machines and repaired them, and sold the parts, ink and toner and paper.

And then he sold it to IKRON for $17.8 Million.

Not everyone will be so lucky, but it does show that if you have a plan and you work it, you can be successful to some degree.

Perhaps you *******s should stop teaching people to rely on government for everything and teach people how to be self-reliant and make their own way in life, without government involvement. Not a liberal here, so this I also agree with. It starts at home for the most part, but again people do dumb things. And most non-violent offenses are just that. How about the government staying out of our personal lives, and let parents be parents again!

That would go a long way to help at least some convicts.

Good. Since you are willing to tolerate crime and there is no long any shame in crime, it is like a badge of honor worthy of government protection. You employ them if you want. You can let them live in your home too, to keep them off the streets.

Wrong answer.

That's absolutely correct.

There's no evidence to support that. They commit crimes because they are criminals. That's what they do.

I'm sure we can tax the "rich" for that.

No, I support warehousing 2nd Offenders on Devil's Island, the former French Penal Colony.

For 3rd time offenders, I support stripping them of their US Citizenship, handing them a brown bag lunch, $10, a parachute and then kicking their goat-smelling asses out of the back of a C-130 over Myanmar, or Somalia, or Zimbabwe, or Afghanistan.

Since they are such bad-asses, I'm sure they'll do so well.
Sure. If we're not going to execute the violent offenders, then that is the perfect life sentence.

He never has one.

That's because you're ignorant of reality. As a former police officer, detective sergeant and private investigator who did background checks and consulted on hiring, bad credit leads to problems and problem employees. Oh give me a break!

I would of course, never recommend blatantly discriminating merely because of bad credit. Each individual instance must be examined, but in 90% of the cases bad credit indicates an employee who cannot exercise good judgment, who has high absentee rates and how has a propensity to engage in fraud and theft. Yes it is a case by case thing. But there are a lot of good people out there that are within one job loss of filing bankruptcy! So, we go ahead and keep persecuting these people and denying them employment because of bad credit, and therefore this person could become desperate to the point of committing a criminal act. I guess being an ex-cop that is OK by you to potentially create more criminals, because it keeps your colleagues employed.

You ever see what an employee looks like with a fork-lift prong through his head? That's what happens when you hire drug addicts. Not all of those that partake recreationally are drug addicts. There is a thing called moderation! What I or anyone else does in my own home when I'm harming nobody else is not the business of an employer, or the government! Now, if someone is suspected of being under the influence on the clock, then by all means, test away! I support that. If not, then there really is no need. Most people who drink or smoke pot aren't that irresponsible to come to work when they're drunk or high. Common sense, DUH!

I would say that is something you need to explain to an employer, and a most excellent reason to contact your State legislator to help you get your license back.

Probably because the smoke detectors in the bathrooms will go off every time they smoke their meth (or crack or whatever).

My responses are in red. Look I respect the hell out of most police officers, but the current system is not working. And again, I realize not everyone can be saved. But those that are working to better themselves, and move forward should be looked at with consideration. It is case by case. Someone who gets a DUI for example should not have to live with that for the rest of their lives. Especially if they've taken steps to better themselves. Sorry, I'm a little more compassionate than that, because I do realize people make mistakes. If someone can get themself right with God, then why not here on Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies