Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I say he deserves his fate. If he starves thats his own fault.There are plenty of lowend jobs for such as him. Let the family that spawned him assume ownership.
How many tickets? In Pa quite a few depending how severe.
Once again he chose his fate. Its not like he had no choice.
I do know there are many that dont involve high speed chase. I also know that many do.
It should be an employers choice to hire a con or not. I know That I wouldn't not even to sweep the floors.
Exactly it should be the business that decides if they hire a felon or not. The government should not mandate the hiring of anyone. That in and of itself is unethical.

Yes there is lowend jobs they can get, and there is also some high end jobs that they can sometimes get. but you said they should starve to death, not that they can get a low end job.

and in Illinois 3 moving violations will get a suspension on the license. and for teenagers it is even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
darwinism at its best.
A teenager pulled over on a suspended license? Well speaking volumes about his character. Suspended for what?
He fled leading to a police chase that could result in injuries and death. The fact it didnt is luck.
No he deserves his fate.

Hey I've got a great suspended license story. I spent two months in the hospital with my car at the end of the driveway (furthest from the street past the back line of the house), with another car behind it closer to the street, and by the time I got out of the hospital, my car had a bunch of tickets because the tags were expired, the tickets had defaulted, and my license was suspended for the unpaid tickets.

What did that say about my character?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,148 times
Our criminal system is set up to create career criminals and an economic underclass.

We put mostly men in jail, do not protect them from violence, racism or rape and the ndisenfranchise them from being productive members of society.

The question is not what is wrong with the system, the question is what is right with it? Franky I think very little if anything.

We have violent cops, out of control courts and legislation driven by emotion, pet peeves and personal agenda/vendettas, not reasoned action. Our politicians actively flount their status as "above the law" in many instances.

This is a police state and those who have not either experienced it first hand or witnessed it happen to someone close to them have a hard time realizing much less understanding how immoral and oppressive our judicial system is.

Especially to minorities.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hey I've got a great suspended license story. I spent two months in the hospital with my car at the end of the driveway (furthest from the street past the back line of the house), with another car behind it closer to the street, and by the time I got out of the hospital, my car had a bunch of tickets because the tags were expired, the tickets had defaulted, and my license was suspended for the unpaid tickets.

What did that say about my character?

Unpaid parking tickets? Tags expired? Suspended license? OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WITH YER HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sarcasm)

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Our criminal system is set up to create career criminals and an economic underclass.

We put mostly men in jail, do not protect them from violence, racism or rape and the ndisenfranchise them from being productive members of society.

The question is not what is wrong with the system, the question is what is right with it? Franky I think very little if anything.

We have violent cops, out of control courts and legislation driven by emotion, pet peeves and personal agenda/vendettas, not reasoned action. Our politicians actively flount their status as "above the law" in many instances.

This is a police state and those who have not either experienced it first hand or witnessed it happen to someone close to them have a hard time realizing much less understanding how immoral and oppressive our judicial system is.

Especially to minorities.

As they say... money talks and.... well you know the rest.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As they say... money talks and.... well you know the rest.

When I was a kid, I didn't know the rest. There was a big men's clothing retailer in NYC that ran these radio commercials: Money Talks, Nobody Walks.

Made no sense to me until I did know the rest.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
One thing the libbies seem to miss is that these guys and gals are most likely not skilled enough for most jobs. There is a high correlation between being an ex-con and a high school dropout.

Also everyday I drive through some of the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. I often see young men hanging around doing god knows what. Most of these men are black. Yet when I arrive at my office and look around the manicured lawns at my office. I notice all of the landscapers maintaining the lawns are Hispanic. The construction crew putting up the new Hospital is almost entirely Hispanic. My positive interactions with some of them reveal most do not speak English well which would indicate they are immigrants.

Yet somehow these men quietly go about their business providing for their families the best they can. Why is t difficult for the black men I see hanging around before and after work to do the same?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One thing the libbies seem to miss is that these guys and gals are most likely not skilled enough for most jobs. There is a high correlation between being an ex-con and a high school dropout.

Also everyday I drive through some of the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. I often see young men hanging around doing god knows what. Most of these men are black. Yet when I arrive to my office and look around the manicured lawns at my office. I notice all of the landscapers maintaining the lawns are Hispanic. The construction crew putting up the new Hospital is almost entirely Hispanic. My positive interactions with some of them reveal most do not speak English well which would indicate they are immigrants.

Yet somehow these men quietly go about their business providing for their families the best they can. Why is t difficult for the black men I see hanging around before and after work to do the same?

Good point. Ask their parents. Of course when you have parents who are having kids as early as 12 years old and have multiple fathers, sitting on welfare living off of the rest of us taxpayers who bust their a** to make ends meet, I think you will find your answer. How can anyone obtain any moral values from that situation, when kids are having kids. This where if the crime is committed by a minor, the parents should be held fully liable for their kid's actions!

Trust me. I see both sides of the coin with this issue about hiring ex-cons. Some people can't be saved, and that is the nature of the beast. However; there are some who want to, and can be, which is why I tend to take a case by case approach to everything. You have to.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Also everyday I drive through some of the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. I often see young men hanging around doing god knows what. Most of these men are black. Yet when I arrive to my office and look around the manicured lawns at my office. I notice all of the landscapers maintaining the lawns are Hispanic. The construction crew putting up the new Hospital is almost entirely Hispanic. My positive interactions with some of them reveal most do not speak English well which would indicate they are immigrants.

and how many of those hispanics are here legally??

you can't say one is better than the other...loiterers and illegals are both lame in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
case-by-case is the best solution. you can catch a felony for a DUI at .08 in some places. do you know how drunk .08 is? not very. for some people it can be a beer on an empty stomach; for others it's an entire bottle of wine throughout the night.

i couldn't see not hiring a person who caught a DUI when they were still in college, just because they have a felony. the same goes with mandatory minimums. I remember a story about a woman (I forgot her name) who got locked up for something crazy like 15 years in prison for being caught in the same house as her boyfriend who had drugs in the house. she went on to become a lawyer, etc. but only after her story caught on with the citizens who were outraged that she was charged with a felony that carried such a stiff sentence.

it's funny, everyday before getting on the metro at king street (alexandria, va), people see a sign that reads:

"welcome to america. home to 5% of the world's people and 25% of the world's prisoners."

makes you think about this country's rabid desire to punish and incarcerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies