Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
It's apparent you do this for comedic value!, or you are simply delusional!

America has the most pro active policing on this planet or any other, that's part of the problem, people in Indonesia simply do not get arrested for DUI
Unless they kill someone.Law enforcement here is a business thats hurting
Draining society for the benefit of a few, it's all politically based and greed based.All you need is fear!!, any irrational fear will do!! This is an American
Phenomenon, see Prisoners per Capita then tell me I'm wrong
You lost me on this one, lol.

See "prisoners per capita?" Yeah? And what does that show other than we have a lot of thugs in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
It's apparent you do this for comedic value!, or you are simply delusional!

America has the most pro active policing on this planet or any other, that's part of the problem, people in Indonesia simply do not get arrested for DUI
Unless they kill someone.Law enforcement here is a business thats hurting
Draining society for the benefit of a few, it's all politically based and greed based.All you need is fear!!, any irrational fear will do!! This is an American
Phenomenon, see Prisoners per Capita then tell me I'm wrong
The libs want a nanny government and this is what we got like it or not.

Not wearing your seat belt is a crime.
Selling a Happy Meal toy in San Fran is a crime.

That's not a problem..that is what the people want.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Not wearing a seat belt IMO should be a choice, not a crime! And don't get me started on the Happy Meal thing!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 AM

455 posts, read 633,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Well, it needs to be looked at as a fiscal problem, prison costs are not far behind medicare costs.If you add police pensions, etc, it's unsustainable just like everything else in this country.The system needs reform, if not for humanitarian reasons, find fiscal ones.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Well, it needs to be looked at as a fiscal problem, prison costs are not far behind medicare costs.If you add police pensions, etc, it's unsustainable just like everything else in this country.The system needs reform, if not for humanitarian reasons, find fiscal ones.
Absolutely agree that we have been forced to spend too much money on these things, but the answer is . . . LESS THUGS COMMITTING CRIME - and that is something none of us has control over, except in our homes. Don't raise thugs, lol.

Cretins who prefer robbing our homes and holding up gas stations are the problem. That is a PARENTING problem.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Where I work they do not hire convicts. If you have a felony you dont get hired. I am glad for that. I dont wwant to work with a convicted rapist, car thief, drug dealer,pedophile or killer who got a plea bargain.
Consequences for our actions.
The majority of us dont seem to have a problem obeying the law. I dont care what motivated the rapist. i dont care what motivated the car thief.
Yes its possible that a stranger will do these things. 100% the convict already has.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Absolutely agree that we have been forced to spend too much money on these things, but the answer is . . . LESS THUGS COMMITTING CRIME - and that is something none of us has control over, except in our homes. Don't raise thugs, lol.

Cretins who prefer robbing our homes and holding up gas stations are the problem. That is a PARENTING problem.

And you hit the nail on the head! PARENTING! It really does start at home.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Where I work they do not hire convicts. If you have a felony you dont get hired. I am glad for that. I dont wwant to work with a convicted rapist, car thief, drug dealer,pedophile or killer who got a plea bargain.

How do convicts earn a living?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And you hit the nail on the head! PARENTING! It really does start at home.
That is what I have come to believe based on the crime I see here in Charlotte, NC, where I live. We have repeat offenders, who have been given every chance in the world to get back on track . . . meaning . . . DAs continually plea bargain . . . even put ankle bracelets on 'em . . . and they get out (or get the bracelet off) and literally, within hours, they have committed another robbery, assault, etc. And what is so sickening, most of these thugs are under 25 y/o. Many are not even 18 and already have a long rap sheet.

We have done everything possible to mitigate the situation by throwing money at it. The bulk of our lottery education money goes to "at risk" children. Yet, these kids drop out of school cause their parent(s) don't care whether they attend school or not . . . we have GED programs . . . we subsidize them to go to the community college. We have "get back on your feet" programs for felons when they get out of prison.

Yet, they choose to re-offend. And their mommas get on TV and cry about what a "good boy" they really are, even if they were caught red-handed shooting someone in their own neighborhood.

Obviously, if their own mothers are gonna uphold their crappy behavior, nothing is gonna change w/ these folks. In their own neighborhoods, people are afraid of retaliation and so people won't come forward out of fear. And then, of course, there is a gangsta wannabe element out there - it is "cool" to be a criminal.

I say - if it is so cool to be a criminal, suffer the consequences of that lifestyle decision. Society can't "make up" for lousy parenting when a kid has been taught that being a thug is an acceptable lifestyle choice.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do convicts earn a living?
Many start their own business, such as gutter repair/replacement, lawn service, roofing . . . and I know a felon who was incarcerated for IRS tax evasion . . . and he is now a money fund manager. Yep, for some strange reason, money managers can get licensed, lol. A felony will mean you are barred from most professions, from teaching to real estate to nursing, but believe it or not, you can become a money manager even if you were in prison for tax evasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies