Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Whole Foods went "corporate" quite some time ago.

Your best bet are Farmer Markets and/or direct sales from farms.
I'm truly lucky here in Texas that we have both farms and Farmer Markets all over.
Lots of small farms and ranches that do both markets and direct sales.

Here's a good link to see what's in your area..Farmer Markets, CSA, farms

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

The below..on the left is a "Choose your state" pulldown to see what's specific to your state.
Organic Consumers Association

Whole Foods has been publicly held for a long time. Their ticker symbol was WFMI. I used to trade them and hadn't in a long while I guess since they changed their symbol to WFM in January which must have been when they got taken over by Monsanto GRR.

I remember going into the first original Whole Foods Market in Austin when it wasn't much more than a typical neighborhood health food store. Then they expanded and bought up a lot of the successful regional chains Wellspring Market (I think) in NC; Harry's in GA; Bread & Circus in New England and others. I used to shop at Bread and Circus for years before Whole Foods took over and then kept shopping there when it was Whole Foods.

I'm on the mailing lists of all the organic/food safety organizations and always write my elected officials whenever
I'm alerted about something through an action alert. If you guys care about food safety you might want to take advantage of the Organic Consumers Assn.

Jeffrey Smith has for a long time been the premier expert and watch dog on genetic engineering of food.

I'm just mad this development slipped by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
GMO's have been around for over 20 years now. With more demand than supply, global food sources will be depleted without more resistant crops.

What would you suggest?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
A good degree of irony in this. Even more irony from the conservatives/libertarians who see the dangers of GMO. This is what happens when corporations run amock.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
A good degree of irony in this. Even more irony from the conservatives/libertarians who see the dangers of GMO. This is what happens when corporations run amock.
How lets these corporations run amuck? The government. That is irony

Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,526 times
The fact of the matter here is that the USDA did not offer an option that included outright blocking/banning of GMO seed such as Monsanto's RoundUp Ready seed. So don't pin the blame on Whole Foods. This new law isn't their fault and they certainly did not support it in the form that it is in. They attempted to do what they could with what they had and even that was apparently not enough.

As found on their blog at: http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/201...ns-ge-alfalfa/

"The USDA had been considering two potential decisions on this issue – either full deregulation or deregulation with restrictions. The latter would have set rules to protect non-GE crops from contamination. While Whole Foods Market and other advocates for non-GE and organic foods feel the USDA’s deregulation decision is a setback, we will continue the fight for the protection of non-GE food, as we have ever since genetically engineered crops first appeared in the marketplace."

You can also see evidence of misleading advertising/letters being put into use to spread Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt (FUD) here:
http://www.stonyfield.com/blog/2011/...ght-opponents/

As for GMO ingredients being in products in Whole Foods' stores: This is not news at all either. Whole Foods started allowing that many years ago. They have historically done a pretty good job at choosing to carry products that list the ingredients in use.

In the end, it's up to the consumer to be as careful as possible since government has failed us when it comes to topics like GMO'd seed/produce such as those nasty RoundUp Ready seeds.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
GMO's have been around for over 20 years now. With more demand than supply, global food sources will be depleted without more resistant crops.

What would you suggest?

Starvation or poison?

That's a tough one.

http://www.villagefarms.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Those are both interesting concepts.

The big issue at the moment, and the majority of development in GMO's, is the huge need for drought-resistant seeds (as witnessed in Somalia).

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I for one couldn't care less whether my food has GMO's HMO's or GBT's in it.
Call us when you sprout a third ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Whole Foods went "corporate" quite some time ago.
Right about the time of the hostile takeover of Wild Oats, no doubt.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Who gives an F about Whole Foods

There should be some Mexican store around to get tomatoes for 90 cents

Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

What would you suggest?
That is a total crock. How can organic farmers manage then? If what you are saying is true than nothing could be grown that wasn't genetically engineered.

Besides what good is it to eat food that is going to make you sick anyway?

Also for right now the only things that are genetically engineered are corn and soy and some squash. The problem is there are so many by rpoducts made with those things but worse is the fact that laws are being created to allow Monsanto to bully farmers to FORCE them to by genetically engineered seeds.There are natural ways to control pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies