Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does this board lean politically
I lean more to the left and feel this board leans more to the left 9 3.98%
I lean more to the left and feel this board leans more to the right 112 49.56%
I lean more to the right and feel this board leans more to the right 25 11.06%
I lean more to the right and feel this board leans more to the left 80 35.40%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If you combine all answers, about 65% of all people responding say this board is to the right, while 35% say it is to the left
And your position would be placing the "opinion" of those polling above what the data eludes to.

For instance, 57.41% (93 people) of those who were polled are left while 42.59% (69 people) are right.

Of the left minority opinion, only 3% (5 people) think the board leans left. Of the right minority opinion, 11.11% (18 people) think the board leans right.

Of the rest, they voted to their respective sides of opinion (left thinks it is a right leaning board (54.32%, 88 people), right thinks it is a left leaning board, 31.48%, 51 people)

Even if all minorities of both sides (left and right) were to side with the those of the right as the board leaning left, they could not match the numbers of the left claiming it is a right oriented board.

This brings about an interesting question. Is partisanship driving the issue? It makes sense, the right are going to think the left spam and push the position to such and the left are going to think the right spam and push position to such. Who knows, may be... may not... but it is not unreasonable to suggest and if it is the case, then the simple majority of a side will force the result of the poll.

One could then make such a position that due to such, the board is actually left as if the numbers of responders to the poll is to sample the representation of the forum, then the left outnumber the right and it would be absurd to state that this is a right leaning board as it is mostly left that post on it.

That is the irony in the representation of the data is that the left are weighting the position to their favor, which is why your smug and cheerful analysis is comical and extremely ignorant concerning statistical analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is not easy to come to a conclusion, actually impossible. One would need independent judges who are not involved with this board...
No, one would need to analyze the initial position of a poster (left or right), then analyze all of their responses and assess their comments and positions according to political leaning in the spectrum. That would tell you the leaning of the board and it would be entirely quantifiable.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Yes, it is not easy to come to a conclusion, actually impossible. One would need independent judges who are not involved with this board...
I don't know, you don't really need to make judgement calls here. Just looking at the hard data, it's apparent (to me) that the board is overwhelmingly liberal based on number of liberal posters (not respective to the number of posts/day/user). The only posters who were correct in their summation were the ones who felt the board leans left.... 31.48% of the righties compared to only 3% of the lefties. The right leaning posters were ten times more likely to correctly identify that this board leans left than the lefties. 74% of the right leaners were correct, yet only 5% of the lefties were correct. I think these findings are fascinating.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And your position would be placing the "opinion" of those polling above what the data eludes to.

For instance, 57.41% (93 people) of those who were polled are left while 42.59% (69 people) are right.

Of the left minority opinion, only 3% (5 people) think the board leans left. Of the right minority opinion, 11.11% (18 people) think the board leans right.

Of the rest, they voted to their respective sides of opinion (left thinks it is a right leaning board (54.32%, 88 people), right thinks it is a left leaning board, 31.48%, 51 people)

Even if all minorities of both sides (left and right) were to side with the those of the right as the board leaning left, they could not match the numbers of the left claiming it is a right oriented board.

This brings about an interesting question. Is partisanship driving the issue? It makes sense, the right are going to think the left spam and push the position to such and the left are going to think the right spam and push position to such. Who knows, may be... may not... but it is not unreasonable to suggest and if it is the case, then the simple majority of a side will force the result of the poll.

One could then make such a position that due to such, the board is actually left as if the numbers of responders to the poll is to sample the representation of the forum, then the left outnumber the right and it would be absurd to state that this is a right leaning board as it is mostly left that post on it.

That is the irony in the representation of the data is that the left are weighting the position to their favor, which is why your smug and cheerful analysis is comical and extremely ignorant concerning statistical analysis.
Nah, you ignore the simple fact that the poll questions does not ask how far to the right or left posters think they are...
I think the rather high percentage of right posters thinking this board is to the right (more than 1 in 3) says a lot, especially when compared with the corresponding percentage among leftist posters.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I don't know, you don't really need to make judgement calls here. Just looking at the hard data, it's apparent (to me) that the board is overwhelmingly liberal based on number of liberal posters (not respective to the number of posts/day/user). The only posters who were correct in their summation were the ones who felt the board leans left.... 31.48% of the righties compared to only 3% of the lefties. The right leaning posters were ten times more likely to correctly identify that this board leans left than the lefties. 74% of the right leaners were correct, yet only 5% of the lefties were correct. I think these findings are fascinating.
Several issues. This forum's (not board's, the music forum is certainly quite different from this forum) overall orientation and bias is not the same as the political orientation of the majority of its members. The number and aggression of posts can more than compensate for such differences, obviously.

Thus your statement in bold and everything that follows is not substantiated. It is just your opinion/interpretation, which is fine with me, but don't expect people to buy into it.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of the posts on this board are either right wing or extreme right wing. There are relativly few posters in the center or to the left. I usuall feel like a leftist voice in a right wing wilderness.
You are correct! This board leans very heavily towards the right wing! I'm not even sure if the Conservatives here realize it themselves!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Nah, you ignore the simple fact that the poll questions does not ask how far to the right or left posters think they are...
I think the rather high percentage of right posters thinking this board is to the right (more than 1 in 3) says a lot, especially when compared with the corresponding percentage among leftist posters.
Ok, if we are going to throw down the subjective dismissal approach, then maybe those right posters claiming it leans right are actually left posters claiming so!

Statistics is so much more fun than real math, you get to make up things as you like! Fun!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And yet, only 43% identify themselves as right leaning in comparison to the 57% who identify as left leaning. There is a serious disconnect. The liberals outnumber the conservatives, but they feel that the forum leans right?? Crazy.
2 problems with your assumptions. 1) You're assuming that an equal number of posters from each side have participated. I see more regular liberals voting in this poll, whereas I see several vocal conservatives who have not. 2) A forum can have more members of one side, but still be fundamentally leaning to the opposite side. Conservatives are far more vocal on this board, which is why most threads end up being Obama/Liberal bash fests, even if there are more total liberals. As long as your side continues to be the more immature, vocally obnoxious side of the forum, it will lean to the right. 3) The fact that 21 right wingers voted that this board leans right is telling.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok, if we are going to throw down the subjective dismissal approach, then maybe those right posters claiming it leans right are actually left posters claiming so!

Statistics is so much more fun than real math, you get to make up things as you like! Fun!
Yeah, not to mention all those right posters answering they are leftist
The poll should not have been done anonymously...

Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, not to mention all those right posters answering they are leftist
The poll should not have been done anonymously...
Bingo!!!

Now you are seeing how drawing any major conclusions on this polling is pointless. Especially when we apply your assumptions in the manner you were.

It is not anonymous. You can look up the posters, one of them I notice right off in the "I am right--->board leans right" is a major leftists. Haven't checked if the same is in the others, but I don't need to in order to prove my point that this poll is worthless and counter to what you were attempting to suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies