Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
So...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,879 times
I can GUARANTEE you that if Laura Bush, or Barbara Bush, or Nancy Reagan did the same thing, many people on this board (including the OP) would not have a problem with it.

There's a real ugliness that is just below the surface here...

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I can GUARANTEE you that if Laura Bush, or Barbara Bush, or Nancy Reagan did the same thing, many people on this board (including the OP) would not have a problem with it.

It is hard to say.

Things in my lifetime has never been this down.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:

You said it, AllenSJC.

The way in which the right goes after Michelle Obama is just disgusting. So she's been on "vacation" for a total of 42 days. Are you all privy to her schedule? You know what phone calls, meetings, and other business she's conducted during those trips outside the field of camera lenses? Or is she just laying in spa mud with sliced cucumbers over her eyelids? If she's been doing only the latter for those 42 days...well, I'm jealous and so are you.

Our First Lady dressing in Land's End and decorating the White House in Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrell certainly reflects how elite she is.

Hard to be proud of your fellow Americans when one reads all the rabid and irrational comments (non-political) aimed at the Obama family.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times
Everyone needs to leave Michele and the daughters alone, and out of the BS.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:05 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,029 times
and John bohener has his own private jet and when senators go on vacation,they have protection as well.
and she pays for her own hotel and food,the only time she uses tax payer transportation
because she is the 1st lady. All first ladies do this. Liberal didnt say one mean thing about Laura Bush.

and the SS are on salary anyway so they get paid either way

Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Liberal didnt say one mean thing about Laura Bush.
What? She was chastised damn near as much as her husband

Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
I can GUARANTEE you that if Laura Bush, or Barbara Bush, or Nancy Reagan did the same thing, many people on this board (including the OP) would not have a problem with it. There's a real ugliness that is just below the surface here...
Does anyone really believe that Obama and his arrogant wife have done nothing wrong by going on endless expensive vacations while the nation and economy collapse, and are only being criticized because of their race? Or is this just the standard liberal response, because we should not be able to criticize ANYONE of this adored race, for anything?

I'm disgusted with ANY politician, or politician's wife, who lives the high life on taxpayer's money, while our nation and economy have been bankrupted, as well as structurally gutted to the point that recovery is impossible. And I think the same goes for every thinking American who is sick of paying for the lavish lifestyles of the political upper class, a group that is systematically reducing us to poverty, in obedience to their corporate owners.

This idea that every criticism of Obama or his wife is race-based, is ridiculous to the extreme. Yes, jerks like Reagan and Bush flaunted their wealth and leisure, but they weren't presenting themselves as champions of the "little guy" either. It is particularly abhorrent that someone who rode to power on overwhelming discontent with the rising consolidation of wealth at the very top, should be so arrogant and insensitive as to take countless long and expensive vacations, as the average citizen either works insane hours while slowly going broke, or can't find a job at all.

It is so far beyond arrogant to take multiple expensive vacations while our economy continues into its third year of Depression, that the English language doesn't have words to describe it.

I wouldn't do it; nobody I know with any integrity would do it; and frankly the least professional person at any of the large companies I deal with wouldn't think of taking vacation while the company is working through a crisis. In fact, at our corporation when the plants go down for outages (a minimum 4 weeks, usually twice a year), the work days are a minimum of 16 hours, there is NO time off allowed, including weekends or holidays. Most workers don't get a penny of overtime pay for the thousands of extra hours they work, and they don't get salaries that are enough to let them retire early, either.

Modern corporate America expects the average worker to dedicate every minute of their lives for a job that pays barely enough to survive.

I find it absurd that we have virtually no standards of behavior for those we have given infinite wealth and power, and that average citizen would defend behavior that is equivalent to spitting in the face of the American working class taxpayer. Remember, in different times, the attitude of "Let them eat cake" brought the aristocrat in front of a guillotine.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM

306 posts, read 355,407 times
Default Does that make it better sweetheart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Perhaps she was consulting her astrologer.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
I am a bit confused here. Are people saying that other first ladies deserved the SS protection they had during their husband's term and afterwards for life, but MO doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies