Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So you own two businesses, work a full time job, and are also pursuing your Master's degree? Riiiiiiiight. What's your new business venture going to be once you graduate? A Speech Language Pathology private practice? LOL. You might want to check into what is happening with Medicare provider reimbursements under both Obamacare and this new debt ceiling agreement and then get back to us on how Obama isn't negatively affecting businesses.
Don't make fun of what Speech Language Pathologists make. They do rather well and it IS a profession that working mothers can do out of their home, if they want to set up a private practice. It's also a career where there the need is greater than the number of people who are trained to do that kind of work.

Speech Language Pathologist Salary | Indeed.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And you should take your own advice. My businesses are making money. But I am happy for you if you are more comfortable on the sidelines until a man with an (R) behind his name has the presidency
Maybe you should look around and find that Obama should be followed by the letters, PD. You know progressive Democrat?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Over the last 18 months I have worked diligently on my next business venture, putting blood, sweat, and tears into the business plan. I have identified what I believe is a glaring gap in the market segment into which I seek to operate, and I am confident that I will be successful.

What i'm not confident about is the business climate in this nation. This, of course, is not unique to me, as it as been stated quite clearly since Barack Obama took office that this Administration is a roadblock to business creation, and subsequently the jobs that accommodate business growth.

Here's why I am holding out:

1) I have no confidence in the economic policies of this Administration. I shouldn't have to elaborate on this point, as we all know the disaster that has evolved in the White House over the past 2.5 years. Any President who specifically states that he plans to bankrupt a private industry is not a supporter of business. There's no other conclusion that can be drawn.

2) Capital expenditures are too risky. Why should I purchase and/or expand facilities when the return on investment is far from calculable? Why should I purchase inventory and equipment when expectations for future sales and growth are far from certain?

3) If my competitors are liquidating, thats an indicator that revenues are down and profits are in jeopardy. I don't mind taking risks, but if the writing is on the wall, then I don't intentionally go and bang my head on that wall and expect to come away with a different outcome.

4) Inflation. The weak economy is putting downward pressures on prices while inflation begins to soar. Profit margins are too thin. It's business suicide.

5) Credit. Access to the capital markets is very limited, to say the least. What has this government done to make sure that us business owners have what we need to succeed? Nothing to speak of, which could hinder my ability to expand.

If this Administration had an inkling of business experience, it would know that it needs to get out of the way and let the engine of this economy (small businesses) take over. But instead we have a complete and total Loss of Confidence, which is all it takes to crush business aspiration.

My business plan will stay on the back burner until this President and his anti-business minions are gone for good. I surmise that i'm not the only one with this plan.
Ah, spoken by a "true" Businessman. Give us a break, please.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Sitting on the sidelines when business is viewed as the enemy by DC is 100% sensible.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Over the last 18 months I have worked diligently on my next business venture, putting blood, sweat, and tears into the business plan. I have identified what I believe is a glaring gap in the market segment into which I seek to operate, and I am confident that I will be successful.

What i'm not confident about is the business climate in this nation. This, of course, is not unique to me, as it as been stated quite clearly since Barack Obama took office that this Administration is a roadblock to business creation, and subsequently the jobs that accommodate business growth.

Here's why I am holding out:

1) I have no confidence in the economic policies of this Administration. I shouldn't have to elaborate on this point, as we all know the disaster that has evolved in the White House over the past 2.5 years. Any President who specifically states that he plans to bankrupt a private industry is not a supporter of business. There's no other conclusion that can be drawn.

2) Capital expenditures are too risky. Why should I purchase and/or expand facilities when the return on investment is far from calculable? Why should I purchase inventory and equipment when expectations for future sales and growth are far from certain?

3) If my competitors are liquidating, thats an indicator that revenues are down and profits are in jeopardy. I don't mind taking risks, but if the writing is on the wall, then I don't intentionally go and bang my head on that wall and expect to come away with a different outcome.

4) Inflation. The weak economy is putting downward pressures on prices while inflation begins to soar. Profit margins are too thin. It's business suicide.

5) Credit. Access to the capital markets is very limited, to say the least. What has this government done to make sure that us business owners have what we need to succeed? Nothing to speak of, which could hinder my ability to expand.

If this Administration had an inkling of business experience, it would know that it needs to get out of the way and let the engine of this economy (small businesses) take over. But instead we have a complete and total Loss of Confidence, which is all it takes to crush business aspiration.

My business plan will stay on the back burner until this President and his anti-business minions are gone for good. I surmise that i'm not the only one with this plan.

Not surprising. People like you just want to put your boot on the working mans neck. Share croppers had jobs all their lives.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Not surprising. People like you just want to put your boot on the working mans neck. Share croppers had jobs all their lives.
Oh, the boot on the working man's neck again! Thank you for reviving a classic! You win the "Over The Top" award for this week.

I bought a pair of jeans today, some groceries, and gasoline. With each purchase, I believed I was improving my position. I wanted the goods more than I wanted the money they cost. Nobody in any of these businesses had their foot on my neck. Do you think the original poster's plan involves anything different than that?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
And, just think, you people have been squealing about business men not wanting to take a chance with expansion with this group in charge. They do whatever they do to make money and Obama has promised he will redistribute what they make. I would sure wait a while to see what is happening.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
So are you telling us that eighteen months ago you didn't know that President Obama was going to be in office at least through 2012?

Anyone who thinks he can determine that the success of an investment is "a foregone conclusion" is a fool, no matter what the investment.

You'd better hope that nobody else gets the idea before you decide to put it into practice.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Don't make fun of what Speech Language Pathologists make. They do rather well and it IS a profession that working mothers can do out of their home, if they want to set up a private practice. It's also a career where there the need is greater than the number of people who are trained to do that kind of work.

Speech Language Pathologist Salary | Indeed.com
I'm in no way making fun of SLP's. Lighten up. I am laughing at the poster's claims that Obama hasn't had a negative impact on business, and so I gave a specific example even pertaining to her career choice. It is a good profession for now, but who's to say what will happen with health care reform and the cuts to medicare/medicaid provider reimbursement? It WILL drive salaries down. That fact is undeniable.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So are you telling us that eighteen months ago you didn't know that President Obama was going to be in office at least through 2012?
No, what was unkown 18 (actually 31) months ago was the extent of how detrimental Obama would turn out to be for businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies