Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
People can easily have an aversion to a trait without secretly wishing to share that trait. Most aversions, at least in my experience, seem to stem from a traumatic experience. I am quite claustrophobic because I was trapped in a small and dark place for days. I most definitely do not have any secret desire to again find myself in a similar situation. I suspect there are some homphobes who are indeed harbor strong homosexual desires but I also think that most quite simply find homosexuality repugnant for whatever reason. Everyone has a reason for everything. I personally don't care.
I'm not talking about personal distaste. I find liver and onions distasteful, but I don't spend a lot of time pondering why other people like them. I don't want to inhibit anyone else eating them. I don't pretend there is a "liver-and-onions agenda" that is a threat to my happiness. I sure as heck don't want to make eating liver and onions a criminal offense.

When people do such things with regard to homosexuality, it is quite possible they have an underlying issue, or at least an unhealthy fascination even if it stops short of secretly wanting to engage in it.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Some animals eat their babies. Are you advocating we eat our babies too? I mean, it is "natural" isn't it? Should we also start to embrace cannibalism because some animal species eat their own kind?
You said it's "unnatural". I'm calling you on your ignorant use of the word. If you want to claim it's immoral say it's immoral. By you calling it unnatural, you're claiming it doesn't exist in nature.

And 2 men who love each other having sex is in no way comparable to mothers eating their babies.

You people are so hateful you will use absolutely any absurd excuse to demonize gay people.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
By their definition, half the sex heterosexuals partake in is also "unnatural" as well.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not just his position on same-sex marriage:

"In 2009 he voted in favor of Resolution 99 which would have amended Puerto Rico's constitution to ban the recognition of same-sex marriages (it didn't pass). He has been opposed to civil union bills and in 2004 he used a rubber duck and made it quack to make fun of an opponent (in Puerto Rico, the word for duck, "pato", means f*ggot.)"

Joe. My. God.: PUERTO RICO: Chair Of 2004 Dubya Campaign Busted Showing Hole On Grindr
I disagree that opposing the legalization of same-sex marriage automatically makes one a "homophobe" or a "hypocrite" if one happens to be gay, even a closeted one.

AUM, at least a year ago, you, yourself posted on one of the countless gay marriage threads on CD that you were against gay marriage. I remember it because I thought it unusual that an admitted gay would be against gay marriage. (No, I have no intention of spending a week digging through all the gay marriage threads to retrieve it.) One can be straight and opposed to gay marriage and one can be gay and be opposed to gay marriage and all that means is that that person is opposed to legalizing gay unions.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I disagree that opposing the legalization of same-sex marriage automatically makes one a "homophobe" or a "hypocrite" if one happens to be gay, even a closeted one.
Sigh. I responded to that point just a few posts ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20632743-post71.html

Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:

"In 2009 he voted in favor of Resolution 99 which would have amended Puerto Rico's constitution to ban the recognition of same-sex marriages (it didn't pass). He has been opposed to civil union bills and in 2004 he used a rubber duck and made it quack to make fun of an opponent (in Puerto Rico, the word for duck, "pato", means f*ggot.)"

Joe. My. God.: PUERTO RICO: Chair Of 2004 Dubya Campaign Busted Showing Hole On Grindr
Even that doesn't make him anti gay or a hypocrite. People simply want to bash him because he is a gay Republican. Gays should be outraged by this tactic, not contributing to it.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale

Joe. My. God.: PUERTO RICO: Chair Of 2004 Dubya Campaign Busted Showing Hole On Grinds

Even that doesn't make him anti gay or a hypocrite. People simply want to bash him because he is a gay Republican. Gays should be outraged by this tactic, not contributing to it.
If that doesn't make him anti-gay in your eyes what exactly would he have to do to earn that label from you? He's being bashed because he's a hypocrite, not because he's gay or a Republican.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Sigh. I responded to that point just a few posts ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20632743-post71.html
<sigh> And I was responding to your response. Ever your thread title labels him "anti-gay", which is ludicrous since he IS gay. I repeat. Being opposed to gay marriage does not make one "anti-gay".

Want to respond to that part of my post where I said I remember from a post you made eons ago that you were opposed to same-sex marriage?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
<sigh> And I was responding to your response. Ever your thread title labels him "anti-gay", which is ludicrous since he IS gay. I repeat. Being opposed to gay marriage does not make one "anti-gay".

Want to respond to that part of my post where I said I remember from a post you made eons ago that you were opposed to same-sex marriage?
Can you explain how supporting denying gays the opportunity to marry the person they love is not anti-gay?

Does wanting to deny people the right to marry a different race not make one racist?

Does wanting to deny women the right to vote not make one anti-women/feminist?

Gay marriage is absolutely harmless. So aside from completely stupid and flawed religious and "tradition" reasons and a personal disgust of gay people, what logical reason is there to vote against gay marriage that doesn't make one anti-gay?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If that doesn't make him anti-gay in your eyes what exactly would he have to do to earn that label from you? He's being bashed because he's a hypocrite, not because he's gay or a Republican.
The label would be earned by doing or saying something that is actually anti gay, nothing presented has risen to that level. Yeah, of course he is being bashed for being a gay Republican, nothing has been presented that shows him to be a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies