Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times

Advertisements

Well over here we have B + A. Seems to work fine for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Everyone I have ever met who uses the word "liberty" when they mean freedom has whack-a-doodle ideas.

How do you propose the country function without taxes, Mr. Liberty?
How does it function without federal taxes? Well... just fine. States take care of themselves, more specifically the locales within the states (much how Texas runs now with the local communities coming together and deciding the issue rather than high up bureaucracies).

The thing is the only program you could justify as being a needed tax is the defense of the country. So if we look at the constitution and its historical intention of such, I think taxing for the defense through a static amount serves a purpose and the "defense" of the nation truly is a equal issue to which nobody could deny is a benefit to them directly.

All the other programs are not directly beneficial to every individual. You might say the FDA, but some may grow their own food. You might claim Social security, but many people plan and save to a point where they do not need it, as well as those who would rather choose to spend that money under their own discretion as it concerns savings.

No, I think the only real tax you might be able to argue is the defense tax, and even then it could likely be covered with voluntary support. After all, even the early representatives of our government were volunteers, not paid.

All of the other "social taxes" and many "regulatory taxes" are not justifiable as they are taxes that are discretionary, selective to their application and purpose of benefit to which does not fit all (as many do not qualify to receive them). Now I am talking about federal taxes, as states can decide on their own and as long as someone has the ability to seek another state which does not incorporate such taxes (much like many states do now) the person can move to them or away from them, then individual liberty is still supported as their is always a choice to seek ones own means.

For the sake of the issue though, lets stick to federal taxes and leave the state ones as a separate issue.

So, can a federal government run just fine without taxes (or that of limited denotational and volunteer support and funding)? Yes, but it would require that the government drastically reduce and withdraw itself from areas to which it has no authority to manage or dictate in the first place.

Lastly, unless you would like me to start referring to you with various disrespectful comments, I suggest you refrain also. I asked simple questions, and did not insult. Surely you can be adult enough to not attend to such behavior as well?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
going to a doctor is a service

pay for the service rendered

if you cant pay right now , make payments

dont abuse the system and ask for a service when it is not really necessary

and most importantly: its your health,, your body...your bill...pay your bill

the choice is A

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Everyone already is entitled to the best HC they can afford.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
He probably also enjoys paying for vehicle licensing and insurance, household property taxes, fishing licenses, hunting licenses, parking meters. He , therefore, doesn't own a car or doesn't use the those highways as they're funded from taxation so he marches along the shoulders. Refuses to buy foods or medicines that have been inspected and certified by the FDA or because they've got those dreaded state sales taxes added on. Won't fly due to the FAA being tax funded ......!

Yep that Liberty thingy sure is expensive.
Those are state issues (though some are caused by federal requirements) and many can be handled through private needs.

As for licensing and roads, there is again still the option of other means to which one can seek transportation. These things are often covered by direct fees through the intended use of the infrastructure. There is stil a choice as one can choose not to use them, there by not paying the taxes because they do not benefit from their use. A choice.

Property taxes, well it depends where you live. For instance, here in Texas, these things are handled locally, and some locales do not tax them. Westlake, Texas has no property tax.

Parking meters are city located with private and city based meters. Not a tax really as it is a direct service to which one chooses to use or not.

Well, the FDA is not needed, as a state should handle its own regulation of this area. Not to mention, there are some who do not use food from such purpose and grow and live off their own means, again... the discretion of doing so of the persons choice.

As for medicine, this also can be a means of the individual choice and something that should be applied to the use of medicine, not a general tax. This way, the tax or fee is paid upon direct use and need (which means it can be through private means for such safety), which is a payment for service, not a consistent default tax to which is not used as consistently as it is paid in tax.

FAA isn't required, again, private can handle these things.

The belief that we can not operate privately in many ways is a dependency to which we have built over the years and to which the people have accepted while relinquishing their rights. Unfortunately, they also have disregard the rights of individuals in the process to choose for themselves, and so did not respect the individual liberty of those people.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
going to a doctor is a service

pay for the service rendered

if you cant pay right now , make payments

dont abuse the system and ask for a service when it is not really necessary

and most importantly: its your health,, your body...your bill...pay your bill

the choice is A
Exactly, and what is interesting is there are so many taxes we pay that can be handled under the same principal. There is no need for government to tax everyone and apply services only to a few. Now, if the government taxes each individual as a business would a fee (you seek the service and so then pay taxes for it), then it would not be a violation of ones individual liberty as they would only pay the tax when they use the service. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and it is because many of these services are selectively benefited from to which would require those select to pay for, which many may not be able to. That leaves the system as nothing more than a theft from one to give to another.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The belief that we can not operate privately in many ways is a dependency to which we have built over the years and to which the people have accepted while relinquishing their rights. Unfortunately, they also have disregard the rights of individuals in the process to choose for themselves, and so did not respect the individual liberty of those people.
And what liberties will we have to give up to the private sector as there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Exactly, and what is interesting is there are so many taxes we pay that can be handled under the same principal. There is no need for government to tax everyone and apply services only to a few. Now, if the government taxes each individual as a business would a fee (you seek the service and so then pay taxes for it), then it would not be a violation of ones individual liberty as they would only pay the tax when they use the service. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and it is because many of these services are selectively benefited from to which would require those select to pay for, which many may not be able to. That leaves the system as nothing more than a theft from one to give to another.
What are you talking about? Every single person in this country benefits directly or indirectly. You seem to have a narrow-minded view of taxes that if you aren't directly benefiting then you are getting screwed.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And what liberties will we have to give up to the private sector as there is no such thing as a free lunch.
How would we have to give up anything? Liberty is a matter of having ones own choice to decide, do, or pursue. What examples would you give of a private company being able to dictate such to the people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
What are you talking about? Every single person in this country benefits directly or indirectly. You seem to have a narrow-minded view of taxes that if you aren't directly benefiting then you are getting screwed.
Indirectly? Give some examples.

Social security does not "benefit" as it takes peoples money and then dictates the percentage of return they get from it when an individual may be able to turn that money over many times more than SS ever returns. How does that benefit me? What benefits me is what I believe is in my best interest, not in what others think.

Medicare, medicade, etc... don't use them, so they do not benefit me.

Trying to claim that "if" this or that happened then it would be there for me is silly. It is still forcing me into their system, a system that is far more concerned about itself than it is about any individual within it and my choice to opt-out of those systems is removed. I am forced into them regardless if I think they are good or not. My money is taken, not asked for, it is stripped from me or I risk the penalty of jail and fines.

Sorry, that is not individual liberty, that is not freedom, that is a scam of theft using government as the thug.

Last edited by Nomander; 08-30-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Life entitles us to nothing. To quote the latest Conan movie: "I live, I kill, I am content".

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Which do you believe and why:

A) Every American citizen is Entitled to the Best Healthcare they can Afford

or

B) For American citizens, the quality of health care should not be predicated on their ability to pay. In other words, poor citizens deserve the same quality of health care as wealthy citizens.
C) U.S. citizens have the right to pursue self determination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies