Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
My wife and I thought we'd have to do infertility treatments when we had our kids. We drew the line at that because we didn't want to be responsible for embryos that died, or for embryos that were destroyed when we got pregnant and didn't want any more.
I think you'd be whistling a different tune if your attempts to have children without infertility treatments had continued to be thwarted. It is always easy to stand by your principles when life works out your way. Much harder when you are actually dealing with heartbreak, like so many infertile couples are, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
IVF : Failure & Treatment

When they attempt to implant those embryos and those embryos fail to impant, who gets charged with the multiple homicides? I mean, look....they just killed a lot of people. I'd say put the mom in jail for life. After all, they were OK before they met her, right? Once inside, they didn't stand a chance.

Maybe just manslaughter. See how dumb this line of thought sounds?
If you're murdering people with abortion, then you're murdering people with fertility clinics. Or at least playing dice with God.
You're way behind, kiddo. There is a massive movement underway to ban or severely restrict IVF by only allowing the creation of one embryo and only allowing transfer of one embryo. (Btw, "implant" is a biological term whereas "transfer" is the medical procedure by which an embryo is place in the uterus. Implantation will either occur or it will not, but one does not "implant an embryo." Sadly most journalists are also ignorant of the correct terminology.)

The anti-IVF activists are terribly ignorant of reproductive technology and don't understand that not all eggs or embryos are viable and have no ability to make a baby. Success is dependent upon overshooting to some extent. Making one embryo at a time and transferring one embryo at a time will often lead to repeated failure. The number of embryos to transfer in any given IVF cycle, in any given woman, requires medical expertise and the ability to judge a number of factors, number one being the quality of the embryos themselves, as well as the quality of the uterine environment as measured by certain criteria.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Don't expect logic from conservative thinking.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
You're way behind, kiddo. There is a massive movement underway to ban or severely restrict IVF by only allowing the creation of one embryo and only allowing transfer of one embryo. (Btw, "implant" is a biological term whereas "transfer" is the medical procedure by which an embryo is place in the uterus. Implantation will either occur or it will not, but one does not "implant an embryo." Sadly most journalists are also ignorant of the correct terminology.)

The anti-IVF activists are terribly ignorant of reproductive technology and don't understand that not all eggs or embryos are viable and have no ability to make a baby. Success is dependent upon overshooting to some extent. Making one embryo at a time and transferring one embryo at a time will often lead to repeated failure. The number of embryos to transfer in any given IVF cycle, in any given woman, requires medical expertise and the ability to judge a number of factors, number one being the quality of the embryos themselves, as well as the quality of the uterine environment as measured by certain criteria.
Wow! Did not know that! That's truly sad.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
IVF and disposal of embryo's is a very grey area for those that consider themselves absolutely pro-life. Some vehemently oppose it, and some feel it is up to the party involved to determine their moral stand when seeking infertility treatment. I do think guidelines are important (think octomom), but limiting it to one implantable embryo is not going to statistically result in many successes.

This to me is an excellent example of choice.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
IVF : Failure & Treatment

When they attempt to implant those embryos and those embryos fail to impant, who gets charged with the multiple homicides? I mean, look....they just killed a lot of people. I'd say put the mom in jail for life. After all, they were OK before they met her, right? Once inside, they didn't stand a chance.

Maybe just manslaughter. See how dumb this line of thought sounds?
If you're murdering people with abortion, then you're murdering people with fertility clinics. Or at least playing dice with God.
Quote:
See how dumb this line of thought sounds?
Yes!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Interesting thread, lots of interesting posts. A co-worker of mine, very pro-life, very Fundie Christian, was struggling with infertility. She and her husband were about ready to start adoption proceedings. She did do IVF. The doc told her if she/DH wouldn't agree to a "selective reduction" he would only mplant two embryos. They only created five. Two died early on. The best two were selected and she had a boy and a girl. She had the last one frozen and implanted later, but it didn't take.

Apparently in Europe, they're having success with only implanting one embryo, and obviously you don't need to make 20.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Don't expect logic from conservative thinking.

This whole debate is really stupid, and I don't know what logic you are trying to say conservatives don't have.

Fertility clinics don't intend to destroy life. The people who go to fertility clinics don't intend to destroy life. Life just doesn't always take hold. If we look at natural pregnancies, I know a large number of pregnancies already fail. And that's only the ones people know about. No one believes a failed pregnancy is murder, because it wasn't intentional. A miscarriage isn't murder.

Lets pretend I am driving down the road and a motorcyclist on the other side of the road blows a tire, loses control of the motorcycle, then ends up sliding under the wheel of my car. As a result, I run him over and he dies. Am I a murderer? No, because I didn't intend to kill him. Of course you could say that "I should have known that 40,000 people a year die in automobile accidents." But that is ridiculous, and I know I'm not going to hell because of an accident.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Fertility clinics don't intend to destroy life. The people who go to fertility clinics don't intend to destroy life. Life just doesn't always take hold. If we look at natural pregnancies, I know a large number of pregnancies already fail. And that's only the ones people know about. No one believes a failed pregnancy is murder, because it wasn't intentional. A miscarriage isn't murder.
Fertility clinics "dispose of" unused embryos.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This whole debate is really stupid, and I don't know what logic you are trying to say conservatives don't have.

Lets pretend I am driving down the road and a motorcyclist on the other side of the road blows a tire, loses control of the motorcycle, then ends up sliding under the wheel of my car. As a result, I run him over and he dies. Am I a murderer? No, because I didn't intend to kill him. Of course you could say that "I should have known that 40,000 people a year die in automobile accidents." But that is ridiculous, and I know I'm not going to hell because of an accident.

Let's pretend 5 motorcyclists are on the highway with the express idea to hit you, yet they have no choice in whether they have to hit you or not. They are simply forced to hit you.

4 of them fail utterly and splat on the side of the road - that's 4 dead people.

One of them actually hits you, and lives. You live, too.

Yeah, it's totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies