Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,097,534 times

Advertisements

Isn't it a god-given right for a small business person to ruin folks' health in order to make a buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If one bothers to read the underlying article in the Chicago Tribune, the picture becomes clearer:

Regarding the strawberries:

Overall, the issue is a dairy license, which requires the ice cream business to have the product tested once a month for high bacterial levels; requires standardized packaging and labeling; and purchase a pasteurizing machine.

I don't think it is unreasonable government intrusion to try to assure that the public (and children) is protected from bacteria levels in their ice cream.

The theme of this thread is "the government is oppressive" but when reviewing the actual facts it's clear the rules are reasonable for the purpose of protecting public health.

In addition, the thread title is outright false. Nobody is FORCING this business to use less healthy ingredients but the ingredient used must be below a certain bacteria level. Oh heavens, this business owner's liberties and freedom to manufacture bacteria laden ice cream are being trampled!

Oh Poo! There ya go using reading comprehension and an intellectual thought process to ruin a perfectly good slander and B.S. ***** party rant. They were just starting to get worked up into a lather, frothing at the mouth, and you hosed 'em off.

Lucky for you and the interested watchers, they'll just ignore you like the lemmings they are and start agitating and working themselves up again in a matter of minutes.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Oh Poo! There ya go using reading comprehension and an intellectual thought process to ruin a perfectly good slander and B.S. ***** party rant. They were just starting to get worked up into a lather, frothing at the mouth, and you hosed 'em off.

Lucky for you and the interested watchers, they'll just ignore you like the lemmings they are and start agitating and working themselves up again in a matter of minutes.
I'm sorry. I'll try to control my use of fact, evidence and common sense.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
If one bothers to read the underlying article in the Chicago Tribune, the picture becomes clearer:

Overall, the issue is a dairy license, which requires the ice cream business to have the product tested once a month for high bacterial levels; requires standardized packaging and labeling; and purchase a pasteurizing machine.

I don't think it is unreasonable government intrusion to try to assure that the public (and children) is protected from bacteria levels in their ice cream.

The theme of this thread is "the government is oppressive" but when reviewing the actual facts it's clear the rules are reasonable for the purpose of protecting public health.

In addition, the thread title is outright false. Nobody is FORCING this business to use less healthy ingredients but the ingredient used must be below a certain bacteria level. Oh heavens, this business owner's liberties and freedom to manufacture bacteria laden ice cream are being trampled!

The tests are rigged.

She should just sprinkle the berries with Lactobacillus acidophilus to even the playing field.

Gut Biota Never Recover from Antibiotic Use – Extends to Future Generations | Health Freedom Alliance

Lactobacillus acidophilus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This is government being manipulated by big business IMO.

If you want to know the background on why corn syrup is in just about every processed food, see "Food, Inc." You may never buy fast food or food packaged in a box again.
Those evil republicans! We all know it's much better for our government to be controlled by big labor instead!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:

It's just a good thing that corporations can absorb these costs and the crunchy granola progressive small business owners cannot. Oh, and I do recall the history books illustrating the dying folks on the street from bad strawberries before these regulations began. Oh wait...

Perhaps instead of just shutting her down, maybe she could create a disclaimer on her merchandise that her strawberries don't have the gubmint seal of approval, and let people judge for themselves on whether they want to take a risk.

Unintended consequences, how do they work?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Kind of ironic that progressive types are the ones who lean towards products like this, raw milk, etc.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's just a good thing that corporations can absorb these costs and the crunchy granola progressive small business owners cannot. Oh, and I do recall the history books illustrating the dying folks on the street from bad strawberries before these regulations began. Oh wait...

Perhaps instead of just shutting her down, maybe she could create a disclaimer on her merchandise that her strawberries don't have the gubmint seal of approval, and let people judge for themselves on whether they want to take a risk.

Unintended consequences, how do they work?
1) If one wants to be in a particular business, one must provide everything necessary to equip that business. I want to open a bank. Maybe the government should relax the capital standards so that a small guy like me can enter the industry -- let's not worry that I may not have the resources needed.

2) Historically, the nation has a history of tainted food. That's why the rules were devised. It's preposterous to argue that food cleanliness regulations are unnecessary -- or worse, that we should relax public safety protection so that the mom and pop operation can save capital expenses. I don't want to end up in the hospital or grave just so some small business can cut corners.
Quote:
Kind of ironic that progressive types are the ones who lean towards products like this, raw milk, etc.
Says who?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't want to end up in the hospital or grave just so some small business can cut corners.
Then don't eat her ice cream and go to bed cradling your security blanket tonight. Sounds a lot like neo-con-munists' love for the Patriot Act and neo-progressives' love for the TSA to me. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Doesn't have the gubmint seal of approval? Don't eat it.

Would you like it better if this woman was forced to go through the black market and sell her healthier version of ice cream that way? Let the good people decide for themselves and you can get out of line and not enjoy her presumably delicious ice cream.

Quote:
Says who?
Our liberal rag is all about trying to overturn the regulations against raw milk in NC and many drive to SC or go through the black market to get their white gold.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/dri...nt?oid=1202527

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Then don't eat her ice cream and go to bed cradling your security blanket tonight. Sounds a lot like neo-con-munists' love for the Patriot Act and neo-progressives' love for the TSA to me. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Doesn't have the gubmint seal of approval? Don't eat it.
Instead of clinging to an ideology that dictates nothing the government does is necessary, like food regulations, why not just be open to the idea that there are indeed areas that government regulations helps people's lives? (I know the answer. It would undermine your believe in this outdated ideology.)

It's should be a no-brainer that having the government license food producers to assure that their products are safe to eat is a good thing that most people would agree is a good thing.

I think that it's silly to assume that regulating food safety is a bad thing and the reasonable alternative is to stop eating unregulated foods. That's a step backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies