Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM

121 posts, read 133,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
So you are selfish and I am selfish.. the difference is my selfishness is about making cuts to government spending, and yours is about people disagreeing with your viewpoint.

I never said that the USPS shouldn't exist, and also, it isn't just because I don't use it, but an increasing number of citizens are moving away from using it. You don't want the delivery days cut because you use it all the time, which is selfish and not caring what the rest of the US wants.
See my reply to the other poster who came to your defense.

And likewise, when did I ever say that I use it all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
You don't get it.

For the most part, the umbilical cord (i.e. taxpayer subsidy of the USPS) was cut in the early 1980's. It was the more recent requirement passed by a Republican congress that forced the USPS to do something that no other agency has to do and they knew very well when they passed it that it would bankrupt the USPS.

That's why no elected representative or anyone who has a clue about the situation is surprised this happened.

Don't get me wrong, the unions played just as big a role in this problem as the government did. But the change in the rules via H.R. 1351 magnified the problem a thousand times.

Kinda reminds me of the repeal of Glass-Steagal. Why can't the government just leave well enough alone once in a while?
So if the Post Office shuts down, the Democrats will be glad to blame it on the Republicans. Because the group of voters who are most likely to vote, the over 60 crowd, are probably still using the mail to pay for their bills and won't like wondering if their payments will make it on time.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So if the Post Office shuts down, the Democrats will be glad to blame it on the Republicans. Because the group of voters who are most likely to vote, the over 60 crowd, are probably still using the mail to pay for their bills and won't like wondering if their payments will make it on time.
If the USPS shuts down, there will be plenty of blame to go around for both parties, as is the case with so many other problems this country faces.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
If the USPS shuts down, there will be plenty of blame to go around for both parties, as is the case with so many other problems this country faces.
Surely the Republicans will want the Post Office to go into default mode and shut down, if that works to declare postal union labor contracts no longer valid.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Obama endorses ending one day of mail delivery...

Looks like Saturday delivery may become history. Delivery should be reduced to Mon-Wed-Fri, or Tue-Thu.

I agree. I think that to help the USPS, they should reduce the days of delivery to a M-F workweek.

Or, M-Thu as delivery days and Fridays as only "YOU come to post office to mail stuff. No delivery on fridays".

Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely the Republicans will want the Post Office to go into default mode and shut down, if that works to declare postal union labor contracts no longer valid.
IF is the key word there. I have no idea what those contracts look like so I can't say for sure that it would be the case. Logic would suggest it would work, but when have union contracts ever been logical?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
So out of this disagreement and misunderstanding comes a positive...why not let individuals (addresses for the USPS) opt out of daily mail delivery in order to save some money? Yeah, it might require some investment to set up a system to manage that info and some re-training of the carriers, but I could see that being a big money saver in the long run.
Sounds okay to me.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Seriously folks, Wikipedia is your friend.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters."
Well, so far this year the USPS is 9 billion in the red and can't come up with the 5 billion that is due to the treasury. So much for profitability eh?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Republicans want to crush teachers, firefighters, Highway maintenence workers, police, postal workers...

WHY do the Republicans want to crush these people into the dirt?
I think you win the award for most strident, hyperbolic liberal ranting. How do you expect to be taken seriously?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, so far this year the USPS is 9 billion in the red and can't come up with the 5 billion that is due to the treasury. So much for profitability eh?
They were fine until 2006 even while facing huge declines in volume. H.R. 1351 was the killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies