Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I would think that it would hurt the economy to do this, since companies will have to give you a longer grace period to pay your bills, since mail does not run every day "It's not my fault that it wasn't on time".

20yrsinBranson
No they wont...not a chance that would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
I forget the exact figure but the US postal service loses a huge pile of money every year. That is the kind of thing that gives the government a bad name for being incompetent and unable to run a business. The Canadian PO makes a profit and it sure is up against it compared to the USPO. Huge territory to cover with a small population, no economy of scale etc. If you look at it historicaly the USPO has always been the plum of political patronage. It's very likely the same today and that makes it an albatross around the necks of American taxpayers. I would care less if they reduced mail delivery to 2 or 3 times per week. In this computer age it really is not as necessary to have daily delivery as in the past. I don't know if it's still the case or not but in the UK they had mail twice a day. To prevent hardship by all the postal workers that would be out of a job the postal service should be reduced by attrition and just not replacing people as they retire, quit etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
Well, since it's suits YOU then I guess that's what they should do. Who cares how any other American feels on the subject.

What the hell has happened to this country?
OH because it don't suit YOU then I guess they shouldn't do it. Who cares how any other American feels on the subject.

I am not the only American that does not use the USPS to mail things.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Better yet...lets abolish the pension funds in general, across the board and move everyone into 401k's.
Seriously? Abolish pension funds?

What the hell is this country coming to?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 AM

121 posts, read 133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
My point exactly...for the most part, private companies seem to be much better at finding more efficient and cost effective was of doing things than government entities.
I think parts of the USPS could be contracted out to find more efficiencies and cost savings, and I do think that will be part of the plan, but the entire thing can't be. No private company would want to take on that burden. Like I said, the two big private competitors to the USPS don't want anything to do with residential delivery as it's a drain on their resources.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Education alert
Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Republicans want to crush teachers, firefighters, Highway maintenence workers, police, postal workers...

WHY do the Republicans want to crush these people into the dirt?
I think you win the award for most strident, hyperbolic liberal ranting. How do you expect to be taken seriously?

What do you think about my idea of Congress outlawing online billpay, online statements, online corporate actions and prospectuses, etc.? Wouldn't that be a very effective means of artificially propping up the USPS for years to come in one fell swoop? Wouldn't it be easy to couch it in "consumer protection" terms and talk about how confusing billpay is for a poor old lady to understand? If we DON'T do this, isn't the writing already on the wall?

The Postmaster General was on NPR this morning stating that demand had dropped off more than they thought it would just in the past nine months. He is completely unconcerned with Fed Ex and UPS and is entirely concerned with the internet. He doesn't think much of online billpay and email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
The USPS could go to one day a week delivery and that would be more then sufficient for me.
For me as well. I only go out to the box every week or two anyway. An informal servey of my colleagues yielded this minimum number of home delivery days per week: 1, 2, 2, 3, and 4.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seriously? Abolish pension funds?

What the hell is this country coming to?
As someone else pointed out, my intent was for this to apply to NEW employees.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
OH because it don't suit YOU then I guess they shouldn't do it. Who cares how any other American feels on the subject.

I am not the only American that does not use the USPS to mail things.
The selfishness inherent in your posts is simply astounding. Some use it, some don't and neither of those two groups should have the final say on the matter. We all have a say.

If you don't like the fact that every American has a voice and say in how this country is run then I strongly suggest you leave and start your own country somewhere else.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
As someone else pointed out, my intent was for this to apply to NEW employees.
Yup, and the free market is essentially abolishing them anyway since so many have become insolvent. But yes...we need to transition away from them. Self funded (with employer contributions) and self managed accounts are the way to go.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I forget the exact figure but the US postal service loses a huge pile of money every year. That is the kind of thing that gives the government a bad name for being incompetent and unable to run a business. The Canadian PO makes a profit and it sure is up against it compared to the USPO. Huge territory to cover with a small population, no economy of scale etc. If you look at it historicaly the USPO has always been the plum of political patronage. It's very likely the same today and that makes it an albatross around the necks of American taxpayers. I would care less if they reduced mail delivery to 2 or 3 times per week. In this computer age it really is not as necessary to have daily delivery as in the past. I don't know if it's still the case or not but in the UK they had mail twice a day. To prevent hardship by all the postal workers that would be out of a job the postal service should be reduced by attrition and just not replacing people as they retire, quit etc.
Seriously folks, Wikipedia is your friend.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies