Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I could agree with all you say but I know how tough the letter carrier's union is and shutting down one day would only lead to them howling to get their pay divided up different. Unions are unions.
How can any union involving federal employees be "tough" when they don't have the right to strike? They're actually pretty powerless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Obama endorses ending one day of mail delivery...

Looks like Saturday delivery may become history. Delivery should be reduced to Mon-Wed-Fri, or Tue-Thu.
Funny how your phrasing seems to insinuate that the President is to blame. The Post Office (more accurately, USPS) was talking about eliminating one day of delivery months ago. I believe they said that according to their own statistics, the day with the lightest volume of mail is Tuesday--so that day was high up on the list for consideration. The Monday-Wednesday-Friday scenario is likeliest.

Then, I guess, they'll go straight for the vicious circle pattern: less revenue, so therefore they'll put in a request for an even higher postage rate.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Education alert!:

The reason the Postal Service has been recording financial losses....2006 law imposes a 5 Billion dollar annual burden on the Postal Service that no other agency or company is forced to bear. The Postal Service is forced to overpay billions more into federal accounts.

Bill H.R. 1351 (intro by Lynch (D-MA) would address the crisis without cutting pay, reducing benefits, eliminating collective bargaining rights, or slashing services.
All those things are GOOD for middle class average AMERICANS who want to work and support YOUR/OUR economy!!!

Of course, Rep. Issa(R-CA) wants to block it. His "I hate average working Americans" bill would order 2 billion worth of of closures and empower a board to unilaterally cut wages, ABOLISH benefits and end lay off protection.
Think a "board" in your company should do that to you? To every American?
How would that help the economy?

Republicans want to crush teachers, firefighters, Highway maintenence workers, police, postal workers...

These people are YOUR neighbors, legal Americans who want to work. There are thousands of them. If they lose their homes do you ever think how that will affect the value of YOUR home?????

If they can't buy a car or clothes or school supplies or snomobiles or bicycles ...if the majority of Americans can't afford anything HOW does that help YOUR/OUR economy???

WHY do the Republicans want to crush these people into the dirt?

HOW will that help the economy?
'Layoff Protection' is one of the most short-sighted policies that exists.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who cares about the economy as a whole (instead of the union attitude of 'I have mine and *********') would ever support such a thing.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just cut it's umbilical cord to the government, take away it's monopoly and let it compete for consumer dollars like the rest of the private sector.
Yeah!! A good Ron Paul solution, the mail should be delivered by Pony Express. Oats don't cost that much.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So based on your post, are the Republicans responsible for the mis-management of the USPS or any of these other corrupt unions? """

Please post proof that the Postal union members are corrupt. NOW!

""""You are WRONG too when you make the assumption that Republicans want to crush these working people. In fact, Republicans want to help them by removing the burden of large government, mismanagement, corruption and unionized thuggery. The Democrats want to keep the status quo for these jobs which will result in cutbacks and not addressing the issues of poor decisions.

Why would you want that for the working people? Are you against responsibly run business?
I knew if I used the word "education" no repug would actually READ the post.... (or have terrible difficulties understanding English)

The Democrats do NOT,as shown in my post!!!! want to keep the status quo.

The Republicans, as shown in my POST! want to attack the average legal Americans working for the post office...

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,616 times
I would rather see the post obilerated completely .You want something pay for it .Since everything is going digital who cares if it puts alot of people out of work .

Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yeah!! A good Ron Paul solution, the mail should be delivered by Pony Express. Oats don't cost that much.
Or better than the pony express, we could rely on private companies such as USP and FedEx which have been extremely profitable providing the same service that the USPS has been providing at a loss for years.

Why would you ever be against using a more efficient, most cost-effective system?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
'Layoff Protection' is one of the most short-sighted policies that exists.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who cares about the economy as a whole (instead of the union attitude of 'I have mine and *********') would ever support such a thing.
Again, that scary word "education" sure didn't help

How short-sighted is it to want to screw over thousands of average legal working AMERICANS.....screw them into poverty and how does that help the economy?

In fact NO one has answered my question ...

how does destroying the jobs of average legal working AMERICANS help the economy......??

Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My mom told me that they used to deliver mail to her house twice a day!

I am totally ok with this.
I can remember twice a day and once on Saturday. I am thinking that changed about the late 50s or early 60s.

It is interesting the Pres has suggested this, being many others have talked about eliminating Sat delivery for the past 5 years or so.

There is no reason for mail more than 5 days a week. heck, all we get is a bunch of catalogs and sales promos.

Nita

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Pass a law that all have to deliver to all addresses?

Wait until you hear the screams.

Note that this all leads to further unemployment making the economy worse...
I guess you also believe it is up to government to create useless jobs so people can get a pay check? Is that what you are saying?

As for leading to unemployment, not necessarily, but it will cut back on hours for some plus saving gas. That is where the savings for the USPS will come in.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies