Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

Hooray! One less day of going to the mailbox to pickup the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
M-W-F would be great. If your in dire straits to receive mail on other days drag yourself down to the post office and get it.
I doubt mail it would be available for you any other day unless you have a PO box and they are delivered to differently.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
With Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc, do we still need a postal service? All we really need to keep is a (greatly reduced) bureau to standardize delivery addresses and zipcodes.
I see that you and many others here don't know that many people do not have computers so they can pay bills online. I pay almost no bills online since the Postal Service has taken care of it for me so well in the past.

Really, do all of you think that everybody has a computer because so many do? More of that it won't hurt me so it is ok crap.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you and many others here don't know that many people do not have computers so they can pay bills online. I pay almost no bills online since the Postal Service has taken care of it for me so well in the past.

Really, do all of you think that everybody has a computer because so many do? More of that it won't hurt me so it is ok crap.
Don't worry the post office will probably provide a new Ipad for those who aren't able. Courtesy of the post office of course. Go twice as far in debt. When the government is involved they will always screw it up is one thing you can bank on.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I doubt mail it would be available for you any other day unless you have a PO box and they are delivered to differently.
Why wouldn't it be available? I doubt the would completely shut down on the days they wouldn't deliver. This is all speculative because right now all that's on the table is saturdays. Will the office remain open and just no delivery?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I remember twice a day deliveries too. It was in the same time frame when snow was removed from the sidewalks by a plow behind a horse. I'm fine with going to 3 or 4 day postal delivery so long as we keep the post office going. Too many catalog companies still use them and without their competition in the game, UPS and FedX would charge through the roof.
Damn, woman, we agree again. I have never had my mail delivered but it has never been far to the post office for me. I will mention that many of the catalog companies have stopped that service and limited themselves to doing everything by internet. J. C. Penney is one of those.

We don't seem to need the telephone company phone book because so many people use cell phones, but we still need them in our little towns where many use both kinds of phones. There are lots of things that just aren't the same between city folk and we stick buddies.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
We are talking about 1 day a week or 52 less available days per year. If someone waits to the very last available day to pay their bills well what can be said? They are probably late paying anyway. How much should the tax payer facilitate procrastinators? I mean my god what do they do on sunday???

Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
M-W-F would be great. If your in dire straits to receive mail on other days drag yourself down to the post office and get it.
Do you think they will keep mail coming on those off days? I think they will stop it coming on the off days and I have to go to the office every day if I want to get my mail.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
This is nothing more than placing a bandaid on a hemmorhage. Just enough for him not to lose the vote from the postal union. I'm shocked and bored (yawn) with the predictability of Obama's reluctance to solve real problems rather than instill more bureaucracy to forward his central planning agenda.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I have a large locking mailbox and only bother to get my mail every 10 days or so anyway.

It's pretty amazing to drag in a large mound of mail and spend twenty minutes sorting through it to find not a single thing of value.

(Of course, I can say almost the same thing about my three email addresses too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies