Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Cutting down on delivery days is fine with me, but wouldn't the postal employees still have the same amount of work to do?
And wouldn't it just take them longer on work days?

They only deliver on certain days, but they also do sorting and other things,
and with fewer delivery days for the same amount of mail,
wouldn't it just take up more hours in any given day they are working?

What am I missing here?
I assume it cuts down on costs associated with delivery like gas and upkeep on the vehicles. I think, but am not sure though that the people that deliver are different from the people that sort and work in the facilities too, so less hours worked for the delivery folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 AM

419 posts, read 365,525 times
What about my netflix?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There has to be some middle ground on that funding. If its too much it should be reduced, however I find it funny that in today's day and age we would question a practice that should be helpful in making sure that an entity can live up to the promises that they made to their employees to pay future benefits....there are too many instances of pension and benefit shortfalls. That money needs to be accounted for and in place.
NO other entity DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY the postal workers? THAT's why the PO is having financial difficulties! NOT how damn many days they deliver.
If it's causing average legal AMERICANS to lose their jobs.....HOW is that helping YOUR/OUR economy? (the question NO Repug can EVER answer)

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM

121 posts, read 133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why wouldn't it be available? I doubt the would completely shut down on the days they wouldn't deliver. This is all speculative because right now all that's on the table is saturdays. Will the office remain open and just no delivery?
The office would remain open for a short time on Saturdays, no delivery.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Education alert!:

The reason the Postal Service has been recording financial losses....2006 law imposes a 5 Billion dollar annual burden on the Postal Service that no other agency or company is forced to bear. The Postal Service is forced to overpay billions more into federal accounts.

Bill H.R. 1351 (intro by Lynch (D-MA) would address the crisis without cutting pay, reducing benefits, eliminating collective bargaining rights, or slashing services.
All those things are GOOD for middle class average AMERICANS who want to work and support YOUR/OUR economy!!!

Of course, Rep. Issa(R-CA) wants to block it. His "I hate average working Americans" bill would order 2 billion worth of of closures and empower a board to unilaterally cut wages, ABOLISH benefits and end lay off protection.
Think a "board" in your company should do that to you? To every American?
How would that help the economy?

Republicans want to crush teachers, firefighters, Highway maintenence workers, police, postal workers...

These people are YOUR neighbors, legal Americans who want to work. There are thousands of them. If they lose their homes do you ever think how that will affect the value of YOUR home?????

If they can't buy a car or clothes or school supplies or snomobiles or bicycles ...if the majority of Americans can't afford anything HOW does that help YOUR/OUR economy???

WHY do the Republicans want to crush these people into the dirt?

HOW will that help the economy?
I won't comment on all of the political stuff in this post but the point about H.R. 1351 is dead on. This would be eliminated in this plan and the 6.9 billion that they have overpaid into the retirement fund would be sent back to the USPS. This plus not requiring them to overpay the fund in the first place will be what puts the USPS back into the black for the forseeable future.

Saturday delivery being eliminated is not the big money-saver here, it's just the one that will affect their customers the most.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
NO other entity DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY the postal workers? THAT's why the PO is having financial difficulties! NOT how damn many days they deliver.
If it's causing average legal AMERICANS to lose their jobs.....HOW is that helping YOUR/OUR economy? (the question NO Repug can EVER answer)
Wow, you need to take a deep breath and think about what I ACTUALLY wrote, and not just look for a reason to scream like a lunatic.

What I said was that if the payment is too much, it should be reduced to something more reasonable...but there absolutely needs to be something in place to ensure the ability to pay future obligations in terms of the pension benefits that were guaranteed to these workers. Too many companies have gotten into unrecoverable trouble and had to bail on, or seriously cut what they previously promised to their employees...is that what you want? Like I said..there needs to be some middle ground.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So based on your post, are the Republicans responsible for the mis-management of the USPS or any of these other corrupt unions?

You are WRONG too when you make the assumption that Republicans want to crush these working people. In fact, Republicans want to help them by removing the burden of large government, mismanagement, corruption and unionized thuggery. The Democrats want to keep the status quo for these jobs which will result in cutbacks and not addressing the issues of poor decisions.

Why would you want that for the working people? Are you against responsibly run business?
You don't get it.

For the most part, the umbilical cord (i.e. taxpayer subsidy of the USPS) was cut in the early 1980's. It was the more recent requirement passed by a Republican congress that forced the USPS to do something that no other agency has to do and they knew very well when they passed it that it would bankrupt the USPS.

That's why no elected representative or anyone who has a clue about the situation is surprised this happened.

Don't get me wrong, the unions played just as big a role in this problem as the government did. But the change in the rules via H.R. 1351 magnified the problem a thousand times.

Kinda reminds me of the repeal of Glass-Steagal. Why can't the government just leave well enough alone once in a while?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Wow, you need to take a deep breath and think about what I ACTUALLY wrote, and not just look for a reason to scream like a lunatic.

What I said was that if the payment is too much, it should be reduced to something more reasonable...but there absolutely needs to be something in place to ensure the ability to pay future obligations in terms of the pension benefits that were guaranteed to these workers. Too many companies have gotten into unrecoverable trouble and had to bail on, or seriously cut what they previously promised to their employees...is that what you want? Like I said..there needs to be some middle ground.
So sorry you can't understand , "NO other entity does".

I did try to draw attention to it but obviously it just frightened you.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can remember twice a day and once on Saturday. I am thinking that changed about the late 50s or early 60s.

It is interesting the Pres has suggested this, being many others have talked about eliminating Sat delivery for the past 5 years or so.

There is no reason for mail more than 5 days a week. heck, all we get is a bunch of catalogs and sales promos.

Nita
It's only interesting to people who have no idea how the USPS operates and how it is hamstrung by it's structure and relationship with the federal government.

They have been talking about it for years and they have put forth proposals to close underperforming offices and P & DC's recently but they aren't able to do anything about it. These changes require action from congress and no one in congress has the guts to take it on.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Exactly...Plus it was the private industry that pioneered the whole "maximize right turns" concept for the delivery trucks to save on fuel, and reduce the number of accidents...both cost savers and efficiency boosters. Not sure if the USPS does this yet, or if it is something they ever would have developed on their own.
Private companies already move a ton of mail for the USPS at a greatly reduced cost, they're called HCR's. Look it up.

And yes, HCR's do everything they can to reduce their own costs already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies