Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can remember twice a day and once on Saturday. I am thinking that changed about the late 50s or early 60s.

It is interesting the Pres has suggested this, being many others have talked about eliminating Sat delivery for the past 5 years or so.

There is no reason for mail more than 5 days a week. heck, all we get is a bunch of catalogs and sales promos.

Nita
Could you TRY reading post # 27 ???

It goes so much deeper than , "Oh, I don't need delivery on Saturday, that is a perfect solution".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you and many others here don't know that many people do not have computers so they can pay bills online. I pay almost no bills online since the Postal Service has taken care of it for me so well in the past.

Really, do all of you think that everybody has a computer because so many do? More of that it won't hurt me so it is ok crap.
I rarely disagree with you, but I don't think Sat mail service will make a huge inpact on those who do not do things via the net. I am in the age bracket where I do know a few without computers. They are pretty much the same people who do have to depend on Sat delivery. We are gradually moving to a totally techical society, whether we like it or not. This is just one step toward what is coming in a few decades.

I think we are now a world of less direct communication and a world of computers. I really don't like it.

Nita

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Obama endorses ending one day of mail delivery...

Looks like Saturday delivery may become history. Delivery should be reduced to Mon-Wed-Fri, or Tue-Thu.
The hell it should. Losing Saturday is good enough.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Or better than the pony express, we could rely on private companies such as USP and FedEx which have been extremely profitable providing the same service that the USPS has been providing at a loss for years.

Why would you ever be against using a more efficient, most cost-effective system?
Exactly...Plus it was the private industry that pioneered the whole "maximize right turns" concept for the delivery trucks to save on fuel, and reduce the number of accidents...both cost savers and efficiency boosters. Not sure if the USPS does this yet, or if it is something they ever would have developed on their own.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
The USPS could go to one day a week delivery and that would be more then sufficient for me.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

The reason the Postal Service has been recording financial losses....2006 law imposes a 5 Billion dollar annual burden on the Postal Service that no other agency or company is forced to bear. The Postal Service is forced to overpay billions more into federal accounts.

Bill H.R. 1351 (intro by Lynch (D-MA) would address the crisis without cutting pay, reducing benefits, eliminating collective bargaining rights, or slashing services.
All those things are GOOD for middle class average AMERICANS who want to work and support YOUR/OUR economy!!!

Of course, Rep. Issa(R-CA) wants to block it. His "I hate average working Americans" bill would order 2 billion worth of of closures and empower a board to unilaterally cut wages, ABOLISH benefits and end lay off protection.
Think a "board" in your company should do that to you? To every American?
How would that help the economy?

Republicans want to crush teachers, firefighters, Highway maintenence workers, police, postal workers...

These people are YOUR neighbors, legal Americans who want to work. There are thousands of them. If they lose their homes do you ever think how that will affect the value of YOUR home?????

If they can't buy a car or clothes or school supplies or snomobiles or bicycles ...if the majority of Americans can't afford anything HOW does that help YOUR/OUR economy???

WHY do the Republicans want to crush these people into the dirt?

HOW will that help the economy?
OK, I reposted this information but I took off the "education" warning since it actually DID scare some folks into being unable to read or comprehend the written word.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Here's an interesting article about what is really causing the crisis in the post office:

Quote:
“The Postal Service is recording financial losses, but not for the reasons you might think. The problem: a burden no other agency or company bears. A 2006 law that drains $5 billion a year from post office revenue, while the Postal Service is forced to overpay billions more into federal accounts," says the ad.

The ad concludes: “Congress created this problem, and Congress can fix it."
Postal Service union ad blames Congress for budget shortfall - The Hill's Video

Here's another article:

Quote:
Atkins added: “We are now in this financial crisis because the Postal Service has a requirement to pre-fund future retiree health benefits in a plan that is so bizarre that they are actually setting money aside for employees who will retire seventy-five years in the future. We are setting aside funds for people’s retirement that are not even born yet!
http://www.postalnewsblog.com/category/naps/

About the bill to correct this problem:

http://www.postalnewsblog.com/2011/0...-in-the-wings/

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-20-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Here's an interesting article about what is really causing the crisis in the post office:

Do you support them having a monopoly on mail service?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

There has to be some middle ground on that funding. If its too much it should be reduced, however I find it funny that in today's day and age we would question a practice that should be helpful in making sure that an entity can live up to the promises that they made to their employees to pay future benefits....there are too many instances of pension and benefit shortfalls. That money needs to be accounted for and in place.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,452 times
Cutting down on delivery days is fine with me, but wouldn't the postal employees still have the same amount of work to do?
And wouldn't it just take them longer on work days?

They only deliver on certain days, but they also do sorting and other things,
and with fewer delivery days for the same amount of mail,
wouldn't it just take up more hours in any given day they are working?

What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies