Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Could be G/T. Just because your kids school didn't offer it doesn't mean it didn't exist. Each state gets to make their own rules.
The poster himself (I'll call him "X"), who now has a child who is a high school freshman (e.g. poster is probably at least 40) says he, "X", took geometry in 7th grade. I find this highly dubious, especially if he is closer to 50 than 40.

At my kids' middle school, there were kids taking geometry. I have a friend who has a 30 year old, and I remember him going to the high school for geometry class, and I believe that's how it was when my 27 yr old was in MS as well. (She was not advanced enough for that, but she did take algebra in 8th grade.) By the time my 24 year old was in MS, there were enough kids ready for geometry that they offered it at the school. Have I made myself clear enough yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
No school will achieve the NCLB mandate by 2014.
Why don't they (the government) just admit it was a bad law and repeal it.

Otherwise all Fed money will cease to go to schools in 2014 because of this 100% passing rate mandate.

Repeal the damn bill instead of allowing waivers and exemptions.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
I'm a teacher. I've been thinking of ways we could save money in the public school system. Just as a general overview, I would get rid of all art, gym, music, and technology teachers. Those teachers do things that regular classroom teachers should be doing. We should quit buying pencil, paper, and books, and everything else and just get every student a tablet pc. The savings would be huge.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a teacher. I've been thinking of ways we could save money in the public school system. Just as a general overview, I would get rid of all art, gym, music, and technology teachers. Those teachers do things that regular classroom teachers should be doing. We should quit buying pencil, paper, and books, and everything else and just get every student a tablet pc. The savings would be huge.
My daughter's school is going to do away with textbooks and give everyone an iPad with their textbooks on it. Thought that was different; apparently its going to save a ton of money.

I do have defend the arts/music though. There have been multiple studies that students who participate in music and the arts develop better reasoning skills and generally perform better in mathematics. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having to pay some fee or something to participate in those activities. We pay a few hundred each year for my daughter's chorus in fees and have a chorus booster club because our school doesn't pay for the program. But they do still allow it to be part of the school day as an elective. Thought that was a practical way of compromise.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My daughter's school is going to do away with textbooks and give everyone an iPad with their textbooks on it. Thought that was different; apparently its going to save a ton of money.

I do have defend the arts/music though. There have been multiple studies that students who participate in music and the arts develop better reasoning skills and generally perform better in mathematics. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having to pay some fee or something to participate in those activities. We pay a few hundred each year for my daughter's chorus in fees and have a chorus booster club because our school doesn't pay for the program. But they do still allow it to be part of the school day as an elective. Thought that was a practical way of compromise.
We should be doing art and music, but just have regular classroom teachers do it.

The tablet pc's don't even have to be ipads, but some type of cheaper competitor version. The amount of money spent on paper, copies, and books is mind blowing. The initial cost to put a tablet pc in every students hand would probably be cheaper up front and then the money saved over the next few years would add up very quick.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
We should be doing art and music, but just have regular classroom teachers do it.

The tablet pc's don't even have to be ipads, but some type of cheaper competitor version. The amount of money spent on paper, copies, and books is mind blowing. The initial cost to put a tablet pc in every students hand would probably be cheaper up front and then the money saved over the next few years would add up very quick.
I disagree. Many, if not most of them do not even have the skills to teach art and music.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

And how many do you plan to replace every week/month because "they lost them" or dropped them or they got stolen ?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And how many do you plan to replace every week/month because "they lost them" or dropped them or they got stolen ?
Put protective cases on them. Keep the tablet pc's at school.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I disagree. Many, if not most of them do not even have the skills to teach art and music.
Teaching art is easy. Have each teacher fluent in music theory before they graduate.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Teaching art is easy. Have each teacher fluent in music theory before they graduate.
I agree. It's when they join band in middle school that you need proficient music teachers. Up to then it's just theory which any teacher can absorb and teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies