Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Oh let me bury this for you right here and now.

The teacher's union are the teachers.
The unions buy lots of politicians who then do what they mostly want them to do at the State Departments of Education.
They spend hundreds of millions all over to do that annually.
Prove it.

Speaking for myself, I have disagreed with almost every 'new' educational innovation forced upon the teaching profession by state DOE educrats for the past 30 years.

"Best teaching practices/materials" are determined by those with big bucks, who are looking to make even more bucks from the deep pockets of education. Follow the money and you will find who influences educational policy and classroom practices. I can assure you that the money trail is not going to lead to a classroom teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I thought right wingers were for state rights?

Unless it's a law passed by a Republican President

Which federal laws are we talking about?

While I happily agree with you that interference by the federal government in state run public education finds no support in the Constitution, neither do federal laws which protect bad teachers from being fired, thus creating the circumstances in which NCLB has come to be. Education is best left to local communities and parents, and teacher accountability has to be part of the plan.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

too many kids are not learning

too many kids are not meeting the standard

NCLB should be EXPANDED...Ted kennedy worte this bill to HELP CHILDREN

They are not learning because they are stupid and lazy. And their parents do not make them study. Why spend extra taxpayers money to drag them into college? they will remain dumb anyway. Give the money to fire department or police. Will make a lot more sense

I came to the US and went to a community college and took 3 Math classes. I almost started from scratch. I did not know almost any math. And I was old.
The instruction was great. I transferred to a Math graduate program at a university and was fine.
At the same time lots of other students complained and failed those community college classes. Because they were lazy and dumb. There was one girl, who did really poorly. I offered her my help just before the exam, as a study partner. She said "I cannot do that today, my friend is going to have a party and I promised to help to prepare it." Dumb.

And as we keep dragging this lazy dumb people into college the college education does not mean anything anymore to anybody. With so many idiots getting a college diploma, you can take your own diploma and use it as a toilet paper.

Last edited by Dressy; 09-24-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 09:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post

They are not learning because they are stupid and lazy. And their parents do not make them study. Why spend extra taxpayers money to drag them into college? they will remain dumb anyway. Give the money to fire department or police. Will make a lot more sense

I came to the US and went to a community college and took 3 Math classes. I almost started from scratch. I did not know almost any math. And I was old.
The instruction was great. I transferred to a Math graduate program at a university and was fine.
At the same time lots of other students complained and failed those community college classes. Because they were lazy and dumb. There was one girl, who did really poorly. I offered her my help just before the exam, as a study partner. She said "I cannot do that today, my friend is going to have a party and I promised to help to prepare it." Dumb.

And as we keep dragging this lazy dumb people into college the college education does not mean anything anymore to anybody. With so many idiots getting a college diploma, you can take your own diploma and use it as a toilet paper.
To make a blanket statment such as you did is what is dumb. Which statististical study are you basing your presumptuous opinion on? You had an experience with one girl and you base it on that? Of course there are people that will not be the scholarly type. Very often these people fare better when in a trade school learning a skill. Some people do not have a natural bent towrds higher education and that is okay too. This does not mean that oublic schools should not offer the best education possible and NCLB did not deliver the goods. I have known teachers that brought the best out in students and other not so much. Some people are not born teachers just because they have the degree that qualifies them. Teaching to the test made sure that no teacher, even if it was one that had the capability to enable kids to shine, was able to use their own discretion and teaching talent.

Obama made the right call in starting the end of NCLB.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-24-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 09:59 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
To make a blanket statment such as you did is what is dumb. Which statististical study are you basing your presumptuous opinion on? You had an experience with one girl and you base it on that? .
I am not writing a thesis paper for you to accept, so do not provide statistical study, or any study other then my personal observations. And what is dumb is require that I provide statistical evidence for what I have seen.
I did not have an experience with just one girl, I GAVE AN EXAMPLE of one girl.

Hehe...BTW,, how many examples do I need to provide to you to make it a statistically significant statement? And what would be your random variable and how are you going to measure it? Do you even know what a random variable means, btw? Are you in favor of some frequentist study or Bayesian approach is more preferable to you? Just a side note, since you are asking for statistics...
You do not like to talk about statistics? Ok, then let us skip the statistics part, and return to a friendly -neighborly personal observations kinda conversation. how about that?

I took 3 classes at a community college and saw a lot more students, than one girl.
These people just ignore such thing as a textbook. They never read anything. They come to the class and say: I do not get it. Explain it too me again.

Ah yeah.. the professor will explain it to you for the fifth time, and I would sit and wait and waste my time. Because they do not do their homework. And those who did their homework are in disadvantage, and do not learn anything in the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies