Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Now hold on ..... my esteemed Governor says different!

State requests waiver on No Child Left Behind - NewsTimes

"As I understand what the president has laid down is, on a state-by-state basis, a waiver can be requested which would actually have to speak in detail to the standards that would be applied within the state," said Malloy. "I anticipate that we would be looking at a waiver that speaks to what is obviously a higher standard already being applied in Connecticut by our state system."

Malloy called the state's Connecticut Mastery Test and Connecticut Academic Performance Test, which are used to measure schools in the state, more rigorous than tests given in other states.

Just about everyone claims their state is tougher than everyone elses.
I went to boarding school in CT. They've always said that but there's a lot of study on the issues of the rigor of standards. That being said, CT does traditionally perform well and I would say that their standards have always been in the upper quartile. SC has traditionally had issues with education, not a surprise given our rural poverty. Our legislations response was to make the standards some of the toughest in the nation. I can see their point but it's not exactly making up look fantastic in comparison to other states when rankings come out. Such is life - that's SC's choice to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Now hold on ..... my esteemed Governor says different!

State requests waiver on No Child Left Behind - NewsTimes

"As I understand what the president has laid down is, on a state-by-state basis, a waiver can be requested which would actually have to speak in detail to the standards that would be applied within the state," said Malloy. "I anticipate that we would be looking at a waiver that speaks to what is obviously a higher standard already being applied in Connecticut by our state system."

Malloy called the state's Connecticut Mastery Test and Connecticut Academic Performance Test, which are used to measure schools in the state, more rigorous than tests given in other states.

Just about everyone claims their state is tougher than everyone elses.
but CT does have some very bad schools too...bridgeport for example

Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but CT does have some very bad schools too...bridgeport for example
See, this is where the conversation always gets muddled. Standards vs performance. SC has some of the highest standards in the country and schools with the lowest performance. One does not equal the other. Personally, I like that my state has decided to set the bar so high. So, it makes our performance look like crap - oh well. That's our state's decision to do so.

Where I could see this as a problem is for parents contemplating moving from one state to another. Makes for difficult comparisons. But, SAT scores and the such could be used for that. I just think each state has their own unique issues and should be allowed to tailor their standards to those unique issues.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I was in GT classes in school, and I was pushed 1 grade ahead. There is a vast difference for one grade advancement, especially in the younger years.
Been there... and no, there's not. Not nearly enough.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Been there... and no, there's not. Not nearly enough.
In your opinion. Don't push your opinion as if that is the norm. Gifted and Talented or Accelerated learning, or jumping grades, no matter how small you find it, is still something to be celebrated.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
High time a President moved to weaken this law! The article slants it as being Bush' fault, calling it a "Bush-Era education law" but really it was a bi-partisan screw up that got dumped on the states by BOTH parties.

Obama rolling back Bush-era education law - Yahoo! News
He just wants to replace it with "Race to the Top"
Wants his footprint is all...
Same concept though - show the tests, get the federal cash...

Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
There are enough holes in NCLB to drive a train through. Miss the AYP 2 years in a row and you can send your kid to a different school. Ha.
X amount of felonies in a prescribed time frame and you can remove your kid from the persistently dangerous school. The school district hires it's own personal police force so you can never learn about the trouble in your school. There are only 45000 students in my district. We have a police force and a new jail with more than a few cells. This is in an upwardly mobile oil company ghetto just outside of Houston.
The state of Texas designed a test so that the kid only need answer < 50% correct to pass.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
In what day and in what school system? I was a math teacher from 1967 - 2003, in the 4th largest school district in the nation. We did not start pushing accelerated math to middle school students until the 90s and even then, high school level geometry was not offered to 7th grade students.
Maybe I was in advanced class. I didn't pay much attention in school. Much too boring and easy. Read a lot of Stephen King novels though.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
In your opinion. Don't push your opinion as if that is the norm. Gifted and Talented or Accelerated learning, or jumping grades, no matter how small you find it, is still something to be celebrated.
Yes, accelerated learning, when it is permitted in school, should be celebrated. A one year grade skip is rather small though and once that material is easily mastered (if it hasn't been already, which is usually the case), boredom and apathy sets in rather rapidly.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, accelerated learning, when it is permitted in school, should be celebrated. A one year grade skip is rather small though and once that material is easily mastered (if it hasn't been already, which is usually the case), boredom and apathy sets in rather rapidly.
Yeah that's a problem my daughter is having now. Loves her electives, which are college courses, but loathes her required courses because of the incredibly slow pace. She's flat out bored. Never studied for one test in those courses and still getting 100's. It's playing to the lowest common demoniator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies