Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well there is no other option... thanks to NCLB. The kids pass or no funding.
so thats what its all about...funding

that's what my property taxes pay for

we had a big problem in the schools...kids were not learning. and being gradualted under the 'good ole boy' system...well johnny cant read..but he has a diploma.....that's why NCLB came about...that's why Ted Kennedy poured his soul into it...maybe there is a funding problem...

but we need a standard...we need teachers to do their jobs

do we need to have a 1st grade or 3rd grade test...no we could probably get rid of those
... but we certainly do need the 8th grade and 11th grade tests...and there are different versions of them also....and for kids that need them there are accomadations to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and if they cant progress, or function, they should be held back or give a different option

nclb is not about an impossible standard..its about making our kids better

here in NY(long island, not upstate) , we are having no problems at all,,because we are lightyears higher standard than the hillbilly south to begin with..we have very few 'title1' schools...meanwhile nearly everyone in the carolinas is a 'title1' (failing)

meet the standard or find a different option...we have been dumbing down for too many years..we NEED NCLB..we need it EXPANDED...meet the standard or find another choice...time to step to the plate
Hillbilly South? Everyone in the Carolinas is failing?? Um, try to do some research. That's a grossly inaccurate statement. My own daughter's high school is one of the top in the entire nation here in the "hillbilly South", which, by the way, is in the Carolinas. We keep getting transplants from Long Island, of all places, and one of the issues that we hear time and again is that the school system here in our town, at least, is superior to what they saw back home in Long Island. Try not to make sweeping generalizations as I'm sure not all schools in Long Island are that bad either.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Well there is no other option... thanks to NCLB. The kids pass or no funding.
No federal funding? That sounds like a PLUS to me. Stop federal education spending. Lower the deficit. State and local municipalities are responsible for education. NOT the federal government.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No federal funding? That sounds like a PLUS to me. Stop federal education spending. Lower the deficit. State and local municipalities are responsible for education. NOT the federal government.
Well as it is now the states are given funding if they meet these standards set by the fed. In theory, this should encourage them to do better. In reality, they just push the kids through the system in order to keep everything going.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Well as it is now the states are given funding if they meet these standards set by the fed. In theory, this should encourage them to do better. In reality, they just push the kids through the system in order to keep everything going.
so your solution is for then NOT to meet a standard...push them through AND get the funding...

meanwhile its the kids that are not getting the proper education

how about we ask the teachers to do this........pay for performance...I know the unions will never go for that...oh the thought to actually do your job

Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
The education standards are NOT set by the feds. The STATES set the education standards, and they are continuously dumbing them down. See my previous post with the links to NCES and the Stateline article.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
and if they cant progress, or function, they should be held back or give a different option

nclb is not about an impossible standard..its about making our kids better

here in NY(long island, not upstate) , we are having no problems at all,,because we are lightyears higher standard than the hillbilly south to begin with..we have very few 'title1' schools...meanwhile nearly everyone in the carolinas is a 'title1' (failing)

meet the standard or find a different option...we have been dumbing down for too many years..we NEED NCLB..we need it EXPANDED...meet the standard or find another choice...time to step to the plate
What are the demographics of the students in your school district? If you don't know, just give me the name of the school district and I can find out for myself. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Where in the U.S. Constitution is the federal government empowered to do anything about education, a uniquely state power reserved to the states under the 10 Amendment? I say get rid of NCLB and the Education Department that spawned it.
Yep couldn't agree more.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
so thats what its all about...funding

that's what my property taxes pay for

we had a big problem in the schools...kids were not learning. and being gradualted under the 'good ole boy' system...well johnny cant read..but he has a diploma.....that's why NCLB came about...that's why Ted Kennedy poured his soul into it...maybe there is a funding problem...

but we need a standard...we need teachers to do their jobs

do we need to have a 1st grade or 3rd grade test...no we could probably get rid of those
... but we certainly do need the 8th grade and 11th grade tests...and there are different versions of them also....and for kids that need them there are accomadations to
Well, going by your spelling and grammar, I'm not sure you would have tested at grade level, were you a student in today's public schools. Be careful what you wish for....

Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Just to beat a dead horse. Only THREE states have set "world class standards". Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Missouri. Guess our standards in South Carolina are just tougher than those in New York.

Quote:
Three states—Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Missouri—have established world-class standards in math and reading as the goal for all students. Every other state has established a lower proficiency standard, and some states (for example, Georgia and Tennessee) declare most students proficient even when their performance is miles short of the NAEP standard. By setting widely varying standards, states render the very notion of proficiency meaningless. If Billy and Sally cannot read in South Carolina, they should not be able to pass muster simply by crossing the state’s western border.
Few States Set World-Class Standards : Education Next

This article is arguing for NCLB but with better defined standards, so that should help your argument. Even with that, I still tend to err on the side of states because when you get to that Federal level, you tend to get too many politics in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies