Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only core subjects need proficiency..NCLB.
Art and music are not core subjects.
That's why NCLB needs to go away. It places more emphasis on testing than on developing skills. and ignores the learning process. Kids are just memorizing to pass tests; they are not learning.

Music and art, I would be nowhere without them if a Teacher in my Elementary school didn't recognize my skills to do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:14 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a teacher. I've been thinking of ways we could save money in the public school system. Just as a general overview, I would get rid of all art, gym, music, and technology teachers. Those teachers do things that regular classroom teachers should be doing. We should quit buying pencil, paper, and books, and everything else and just get every student a tablet pc. The savings would be huge.
Just out of curiosity, what grade/subject do you teach and how long have you been a teacher? Also, where do you teach?

I ask because I am a retired high school math teacher and I know that there was no way that I could have taught art or music.

Most "regular teachers," even today, are not expert enough in the applications of current technology to teach them to their students.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Only core subjects need proficiency..NCLB.
Art and music are not core subjects.
Well, yeah, but if you major in, say, chemistry, you can't also major in music. Now you might say, "oh,yes you can double major", but it's hard enough to major in either one of those, let alone together.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, but if you major in, say, chemistry, you can't also major in music. Now you might say, "oh,yes you can double major", but it's hard enough to major in either one of those, let alone together.
Core subjects require majors. Non core subjects don't.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Core subjects require majors. Non core subjects don't.
Most music teachers I have known at the high school level have music/music ed degrees. Why would you want a music teacher who didn't know anything about music?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most music teachers I have known at the high school level have music/music ed degrees.
The topic went to not hiring teachers with music/art degrees and let those classes be taught by non majors in those fields.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
High time States could out of ObamaCare too.
When is he going to support that?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
We now have standards where kids have to pass a test to graduate. It is a good indication that they were getting an education in public school if they can pass.
Was this part of the Bush program? If so we have to keep it or replace it with the same thing.
The teachers UNION should have no right to pass along an uneducated student and to get a pass on educating kids.

I suspect this is Obama wanting to protect the Union teacher's base who pay him hundreds of millions and who cry all the time about not liking being held accountable. They have to be held accountable IMO.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
You may be on to something there.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The topic went to not hiring teachers with music/art degrees and let those classes be taught by non majors in those fields.
Not exactly. One poster suggested getting rid of art and music teachers altogether, then waffled a bit about a music theory class or two.

Count me in the group that does not agree that music should, or even can be taught by someone who doesn't know squat about music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies