Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Amazing to see the same people that want: to eliminate the Dept of Education, allow the public schools to fail, want to opt out to a voucher system that leaves Millions of children behind in public schools they want to allow to fail, want to destroy the teachers unions and generally speak ill of most teachers, and are always first to cut education funding when the budget gets tight, and hold an open distain for higher education and those they consider btter educated or smarter than themselves, then whine that the President does not care about education. Simply beyond belief.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, there you have your answer. Poverty rate in your school is about 10%. Your school is majority white with a significant Asian minority.

Research repeatedly indicates that school achievement percentages decrease as the students living poverty levels increase.

My school district is in S. Florida, where students living in poverty are the majority in most schools.

Your school does well because its students come from good homes. It's not the schools, it's the parents that make the difference.
I never said demographic, or poverty didnt play into the stats

what I said is we NEED to help these kids

in your areas of s.fl (I always thought south florida was more well to do) what are they doing for the kids

if we are to 'blame' the parents. then what is the 'government' going to do to help thse kids

the whole point is it to teach the kids........if they are not learning, there has to be a reason why.................either its a disability(learning delay for which they can get an IEP) or its the parents, or its the teachers.............but SOMETHING needs to be done to help these kids

Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly.

That's why our very best high school students rank LAST and 2nd to LAST in international comparisons of their similarly highly achieveing peers in other countries in math and science (calculus and advanced physics).
Calculus. Hell they don't even have a curriculum where you can get into calculus until your a senior around here. My oldest is a freshman this year and they are just now starting geometry. I remember taking that in seventh grade back in the day.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Amazing to see the same people that want: to eliminate the Dept of Education, allow the public schools to fail, want to opt out to a voucher system that leaves Millions of children behind in public schools they want to allow to fail, want to destroy the teachers unions and generally speak ill of most teachers, and are always first to cut education funding when the budget gets tight, and hold an open distain for higher education and those they consider btter educated or smarter than themselves, then whine that the President does not care about education. Simply beyond belief.
Casper
For 18K a student the government isn't getting the job done. Tell me the answer? More money? LOL

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Did you have to google to find South Carolina last rated by "some" group? Because I know when I'm evaluating education, I go to Vermont Business Magazine. Oh and ALEC ALEC | Home (http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&Template=/Templates/TemplateHomepage/ALEC_1502_20070319T102535_LayoutHomePage.cfm - broken link). Not exactly an educational rating body.

But nonethless, like I said, our standards are higher than other states. When you compare us to another state with lower standards, like New York, for instance, we look like crap compartively. I'm not saying we're the best in student performance because we have areas that always drag our state down. But we also have some of the highest performing schools in the nation. That's pretty much the nature of the South. Since our state's needs are so very different from other more homogenous states, this is why I advocate that education should be at a state level.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Good move. NCLB is a failure.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Calculus. Hell they don't even have a curriculum where you can get into calculus until your a senior around here. My oldest is a freshman this year and they are just now starting geometry. I remember taking that in seventh grade back in the day.
ours (going back about 30 years ago) was 9th algabra,,10th geo..11th trig..12th calc

Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Did you have to google to find South Carolina last rated by "some" group? Because I know when I'm evaluating education, I go to Vermont Business Magazine. Oh and ALEC ALEC | Home (http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&Template=/Templates/TemplateHomepage/ALEC_1502_20070319T102535_LayoutHomePage.cfm - broken link). Not exactly an educational rating body.

But nonethless, like I said, our standards are higher than other states. When you compare us to another state with lower standards, like New York, for instance, we look like crap compartively. I'm not saying we're the best in student performance because we have areas that always drag our state down. But we also have some of the highest performing schools in the nation. That's pretty much the nature of the South. Since our state's needs are so very different from other more homogenous states, this is why I advocate that education should be at a state level.
but
the problem is (and I lived in the south(both NC and SC), when I was in the military) its so lopsided

you have schools like your that rank a 10's (at greatschools) and then you have areas like Florence or Dillon that rank with 1's

Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but
the problem is (and I lived in the south(both NC and SC), when I was in the military) its so lopsided

you have schools like your that rank a 10's (at greatschools) and then you have areas like Florence or Dillon that rank with 1's
That I agree with. We do have a major problem with that. We have some areas, especially rural ones, where poverty is bad and not getting better. This is my issue with NCLB. The schools getting the lion's share of the funding here in SC are those schools with the poorest performance in order to try and meet NCLB standards. Instead of being able to try something novel and unique (i.e. school vouchers, charter schools, etc), we are tied to the Federal level of oversight. This should be a state issue. The state should decide how best to deal with the education of its citizens. I was using a bit of sarcasm but the state of New York and the state of South Carolina have vastly different issues that confront them educationally. Why do we want to have the Federal govt creating a one size fits all solution when there are such huge differences that face each of the states?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Source for the above paragraph, please. Thanks
Actually, it's reversed. The U.S.'s top students are 2nd to last in advanced math and last in physics.

http://timss.bc.edu/timss1995i/TIMSSPDF/C_admath.pdf
http://timss.bc.edu/timss1995i/TIMSSPDF/C_physcs.pdf

More on this...
Quote:
The ugly secret is that our most talented students are falling through the cracks. Not one program of such major governmental agencies as the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation or NASA specifically targets the top 5 percent of students who have demonstrated academic excellence and have the greatest potential for becoming our inventors, creators and groundbreaking scientists. An international assessment of math problem-solving skills of 15-year-olds in 2004, along with more recent studies, found that the United States had the fewest top performers and the largest percentage of low performers compared with other participating countries. By the time students reach 12th grade in math and science, they are near the bottom or dead last compared with international competition, according to the Education Department. These are the critical years for supporting students in science and math, for it is when they make career-determining decisions for college studies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020901680.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies