Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Considering that in the 40 year period you cite, Republicans only held the House for 12 years -- and much of those 12 years were in the Clinton glory years when businesses didn't need bailouts, your statistic is meaningless.
Obviously you have forgotten about the dot com bubble and the 1999-2001 recession. Nobody while the GOP controlled Congress got a bailout. Only Democrats freely give away taxpayer dollars. That is not a statistic, that is empirical and verifiable fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The burger flipper pays property tax as part of their rent, pays sales taxes every time they buy something, pays road taxes if they even have a car and pays interest (private tax for using money) on the credit card. You clowns want them to pay federal income tax as well.

You are all using the standard childish whine of "if I have to so does he." I do not believe the burger flipper should pay any federal tax at all. The burden of operation the federal government should be on the top 10% that benefit most from government spending and protection. They own the country so let them pay for running it.

BTW – I am well into the 53% but not even close to the 90th percentile.
We all pay those taxes.

What's more childish than "You have more than me, so you should hand some over"?

BTW....you may be in the 53% in income, but mentally, you are a 99%'r.

Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think that you lefties want to get religious when it suits your needs.
Not only that, they very oddly miss the word "given" in that quote. The vast majority of the 49% who actually pay federal income tax EARN their money. They are not "given" it.

But that oversight DOES give a very keen insight into the liberal mind. They truly do believe that people should be "given" everything and that they should not have to actually do anything to earn it.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The only President that did not see any congressional bailouts was Clinton because for six of his eight years in office he had a fiscally responsible GOP controlled Congress.
Hooray for revisionist history!!!

Every Republican voted NO on the Deficit Reduction Act of 1993, officially the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 (or OBRA-93) which was passed in 1993 and not 1994, under Republican control. Of course, since it worked out ok, GOP apologists take credit for what it did because the GOP took over the House the following year.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Way back when(early to mid 1990's),we were young and we needed to make more money.
I went and did this weird thing,I was already working a full 40 hour work week in marine construction,but I went and got a job working from 6-10pm at nights in a restaurant,washing dishes.

This helped ease the money troubles all young couples seem to have.

I then started to get into the cooking side,paid attention helped out in the kitchen during service and became a sous Chef.Worked even harder and longer,to the point I dropped my daytime job and went full time in the Restaurant business,became the Head Chef there,and went on to work another fifteen or so years cooking at various restaurants.

Crazy huh,sacrificing and working two jobs....
According to the lefties, you're a "tool".

Why, just look at all the money your labor made for the owner!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Ya know what, I kinda agree with you. I see opportunity all over the place, but I lack the cash, credit, and skills to take advantage of it.

I've worked out a sort of flowchard which others might find useful:

(can't do real flowcharts when you're limited to text, but...)

Is there something you can create?
If NO, is there something you can design?
If NO, is there something you can manage or administer?
If NO, is there something you can organize? (e.g. interiors, information)
If NO, is there something you can sell FTF?
If NO, is there something you can sell online or by mail order?
Tried selling different things, found one that works, but it's hard when you're starting on a shoestring.
Good for you!! You're right it is hard in the beginning... but you're doing the right thing by starting out. That's exactly what I did, and believe me, it was scary for the first year. And that was in 2008 when this whole crap exploded! But we've kept going and we've been growing ever since. It can be done and you'll get through it too. Just don't back down. Not all businesses work, but if you keep forging ahead like this, you'll find the one that does!!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Well, no doubt you are angry but your anger is misdirected. One can't blame " Keynesian economics" no more than you blame the law of gravity for your woes. Keynesian economics is a model. Anti-Keynesians assured us that budget deficits would send interest rates soaring; Keynesian analysis said they’d stay low as long as the economy remained far from full employment. Which one was right? Government interest rates are around 2% even though the WSJ editorial pages have been writing for three years that Obama's budget deficits will send rates skyrocketing. They were wrong; Keynesian analysis was right.

There’s plenty of evidence that monetary policy can move output and employment — and it’s very hard to devise a model in which that is true that doesn’t also say that fiscal policy can be effective, especially when you’re up against the zero lower bound.

While we don’t have a lot of postwar experience with fiscal stimulus, we do have a lot of experience with anti-stimulus, that is, austerity — and that turns out to be reliably contractionary. Again, it’s hard to think of a model in which austerity is contractionary but stimulus isn’t expansionary.

So, as models go, Keynesian economics is an accurate model.

On this "53%" nonsense:
The 47% that don't pay income taxes still pay payroll taxes and other taxes. But to address the issue head-on, why should those 47% pay income taxes, since they earn very little money?

That lower 47% own only 2.5% of the nation's wealth and a similar proportion of earned income. Putting all this in perspective, that 47% earn about as much income as the top 400 taxpayers.

This is worth repeating. In terms of income, 150,000,000 of these poor and low-middle income people = 400 really rich people.

If you are interested in raising money, don't go after the crumbs that the 47% of the poorest Americans have. You should be looking at the top 1% whose incomes have risen dramatically. The average income of the top 1% is $1,137,684. Why are you want to squeeze widows, minimum wage employees and others with very little income?

Yes, you are angry but blame 30 years of Reaganomics for the downward plight of the middle-class.

Even if your kids chart was correct, would the bottom earners incomes have gone up if the top earners income came down?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The fastest-growing portion of our population that does this is not the working poor, it's people who earn $75,000 - $100,000/yr.

Those people pay state taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, sin taxes, local taxes.

Surprise! Who's not paying federal income tax?
I really can't find this true. There where many years being self-employed made this much and less,two year only making $9,000.00, I have paid taxes every year. Paid mortgage, bills and feed the family.

Some of our employees claim exempt on the Federal taxes. When I pay my federal taxes their percentage is 8.25% of wages reported, if they claim exempt I don't with hold. No federal money is sent in on that employee. Some how these same people get a refund. I don't see where it's being collected correctly.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Hooray for revisionist history!!!

Every Republican voted NO on the Deficit Reduction Act of 1993, officially the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 (or OBRA-93) which was passed in 1993 and not 1994, under Republican control. Of course, since it worked out ok, GOP apologists take credit for what it did because the GOP took over the House the following year.
Try again. The GOP did not control Congress in 1993 or 1994. Democrats had the majority in both houses of Congress in 1993 and 1994. The GOP took control of Congress beginning in January 1995. And no Republican wanted to be associated with the largest retroactive tax increase in US history. Which is why it was suspended by a GOP controlled Congress within the first five months after Bush became President.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But OBAMA was the one who was in DAILY talks with Paulson, Pelosi, and Reid, crafting the bill. BY HIS OWN ADMISSION.

Which is what, exactly?

Who's blaming? Obama proudly took ownership of it himself. Read it again. Obama was in DAILY talks with Paulson, Pelosi, and Reid, making sure the bill was crafted the way Obama wanted it.
Obama wasn't President then. He was a candidate for President and a Senator who was being asked to vote for this legislation. Therefore, having talks with Paulson and other Congressional members is not about being the ONE who CRAFTED the bill, but about checking that certain principles the Senator and Candidate had stated as requirements for his support were in place. And the article actually lists those principles, which are clearly not "principle terms" as you've tried to make them out to be. Why don't you list those principles which Obama states in the article, and tell us which you find objectionable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies