Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The 1% pay 40% of all income taxes.
47% pay no income taxes and whine about it.
What about people who pay property taxes? I have a friend who pays probably doesn't pay much in federal taxes but pays about $8,000 in property taxes. He also bought a car last year and paid almost $2,500 in taxes and fees. Why are those taxes less relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM

773 posts, read 504,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Jesus said "To whom much is given, much shall be required."

What do you think?
I agree.

If you are "given" taxpayer handouts (welfare) you should be required to give back by being required to work for it in some fashion or pay it back later.

Now I am not "given" anything. I "earn" my money.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You need to sell 1,000 cars this year? That's fine but you have to do it naked, unshaved, drunk and high on crack and you can only sell turquoise cars.
That's the identical argument style used by the coal industry that owns WV, which will only be supplanted by the NG industry. No fisheries allowed. No farmers allowed. No other industry permitted to exist. The government is making it too hard for us to be as reckless as we want to be. It's my 'right' to turn a mountain into a hole to Haiti & create flood zones in what was historically planned avoidance of flood zones. It's my 'right' to create earthquake zones where none existed before. It's my right to ensure the only jobs available to the entire population of a state, the terms and conditions of all employment, as the 'right' to kill themselves but call it making a living. Sounds like no choice because it IS FACTUALLY no choice. Mineral rights trumps life, liberty, and freedom of all who fail to schlurp coal.

It will be interesting indeed to see Georgia bring their nuke plant on line and exterminate world renowned Georgia peaches forever. Don't tell US how to operate a nuke plant!! It's my GOD GIVEN RIGHT to destroy Alabama's water supply! You want a bullet to your own head, you're free to do that on your own dime on your own time. Pay for your bullet, the mess you make, and don't come looking for sympathy once you've made your bed. States rights are also responsibilities surely as individual rights are responsibilities. Deliberately driving your car into a tree absolves any and all insurance contracts.

Everything about your argument services lazy talentless hacks unwilling to use brain cells to solve problems. Instead, they vacillate between brute force or the hiring of lobbyists to write legislation to accommodate their dysfunction & ignorance.

Tea-O-con alert! Selling out liberty by legalizing organized crime= PRICELESS!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:25 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
That's the identical argument style used by the coal industry that owns WV, which will only be supplanted by the NG industry. No fisheries allowed. No farmers allowed. No other industry permitted to exist. The government is making it too hard for us to be as reckless as we want to be. It's my 'right' to turn a mountain into a hole to Haiti & create flood zones in what was historically planned avoidance of flood zones. It's my 'right' to create earthquake zones where none existed before. It's my right to ensure the only jobs available to the entire population of a state, the terms and conditions of all employment, as the 'right' to kill themselves but call it making a living. Sounds like no choice because it IS FACTUALLY no choice. Mineral rights trumps life, liberty, and freedom of all who fail to schlurp coal.

It will be interesting indeed to see Georgia bring their nuke plant on line and exterminate world renowned Georgia peaches forever. Don't tell US how to operate a nuke plant!! It's my GOD GIVEN RIGHT to destroy Alabama's water supply! You want a bullet to your own head, you're free to do that on your own dime on your own time. Pay for your bullet, the mess you make, and don't come looking for sympathy once you've made your bed. States rights are also responsibilities surely as individual rights are responsibilities. Deliberately driving your car into a tree absolves any and all insurance contracts.

Everything about your argument services lazy talentless hacks unwilling to use brain cells to solve problems. Instead, they vacillate between brute force or the hiring of lobbyists to write legislation to accommodate their dysfunction & ignorance.

Adam Smith, the father of free markets:
Quote:
Such regulations may, no doubt, be considered as in some respect a violation of natural liberty. But those exertions of the natural liberty of a few individuals, which might endanger the security of the whole society, are, and ought to be, restrained by the laws of all governments; of the most free, as well as or the most despotical. The obligation of building party walls, in order to prevent the communication of fire, is a violation of natural liberty...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
When those that receive more than they pay in become the majority (soon) they will vote into office anyone who promises them more because they will not be on the hook for it.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

You should really cut down on the blowhardiness...

You cut the premise to my post out and tried to make it look like I said die free or go home. That's a complete and utter LIE!

Not that you had the guts to respond to the OP but now that you've responded to mine it's time you explain yourself as to why you dismissed the premise behind my post.

I specifically said anyone that wants big government should have to....

I know that's a lot for you to comprehend but what that means is that if you're all for big government you should have to actually be behind the scenes of a massive bureaucracy. If you're still fine with that then more power to you. I have yet to meet anyone, especially liberals, that enjoy massive amounts of red tape in their personal lives. When it comes to other people's lives, they'd be just as happy if you suffocated in red tape.

The same goes with taxes....

You're completely disingenuous...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When those that receive more than they pay in become the majority (soon) they will vote into office anyone who promises them more because they will not be on the hook for it.
What we have here is an example of one of the two views of American society.

Bush the First's "compassionate conservatism" as morphed into one side believing that taxing the affluent to support others, no matter how needy, amounts to theft.

The other side believes that it's fair to tax those that are doing well to pay for a social safety net. It’s only right, this side believes, for the rich to help the less fortunate.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Then the fastest-growing segment of the population that is paying nothing and taking from someone are the solid middle class people earning between $75,000 and $100,000. Get back to me when the representatives elected by the Tea Party in the House of Representatives (where tax legislation must originate) decide they are for tax revision legislation that will remove the deductions that allow people earning $75,000-$100,000 to have a negative tax liability.

Yes, because they are now a whopping 1% of all tax payers who do not pay taxes.
It's incredibly easy to be the fasting growing section when you are the smallest section! That's how percentages work. Many of us in the 53% who can actually do math, so save this for the 99% protest. It appears that many of them cannot do math, so you wil get the outrage you are seeking there.

For those here who stuggle with math:
2010: 100 People
95 Eat Broccoli
4 Eat Carrots
1 Eat Peas

2011: 100 People:
94 Eat Broccoli
4 Eat Carrots
2 Eat Peas

CNN Headline:
"Pea Eaters Grow Faster than Any Other Group! The Pea Eater Group Has Doubled in Just One Year!"
In my ex
This is the same math as DC's link. Actually the link about tax payers is a little worse, since they still only account for 1% of the non tax paying population.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Yes, because they are now a whopping 1% of all tax payers who do not pay taxes.
It's incredibly easy to be the fasting growing section when you are the smallest section! That's how percentages work. Many of us in the 53% who can actually do math, so save this for the 99% protest. It appears that many of them cannot do math, so you wil get the outrage you are seeking there.

For those here who stuggle with math:
2010: 100 People
95 Eat Broccoli
4 Eat Carrots
1 Eat Peas

2011: 100 People:
94 Eat Broccoli
4 Eat Carrots
2 Eat Peas

CNN Headline:
"Pea Eaters Grow Faster than Any Other Group! The Pea Eater Group Has Doubled in Just One Year!"
In my ex
This is the same math as DC's link. Actually the link about tax payers is a little worse, since they still only account for 1% of the non tax paying population.
It was all semantics... even if technically correct. It was written for the dramatic effect.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much should a minimum wage burger flipper pay in taxes?
More than zero. Everyone should pay something even if it's only a few dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies