Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your suggestion to look for another job wasn't a solution. The poster told you that the payscale where he lives is just above minimum wage. If he looks for another job, he's only going to find one that pays at the SAME level. There are areas in this country that are like that. Since you are suggesting that he seek another job, a better-paying job, you are suggesting that he move from where he currently lives. And your suggestion ignores the reality of his situation. It takes money to move. He doesn't have any money. He doesn't have money to move to a higher-paying area, where living costs are going to be higher than he's used to, and pay first and last month's rent, he doesn't have money to rent a moving van and drive it across the country. Poor means you don't have these things.
Oh... so it is impossible for an individual in his situation to afford a greyhound bus ticket and go to a better city to find work? (I've rode greyhound buses cross country many times and have definitely met many poor people on them... many were moving for his exact same reason)

No one has ever done that-- no one who was poor has ever moved right?

You offer no suggestions, when the conclusion is staring him right in the face.

Move to an area with better employment-- then get a better paying job. I'm not saying it is easy (quite the contrary-- it will be very difficult), but I am saying that complaining about things never changes someones situation. If you don't like the situation you are in-- change it. Don't expect someone else to change it for you. That is what this country was founded on.

Sure, it is easy for me to say-- but what other option is there if he truly is fed up with his low wage? Sitting around writing on the internet about it certainly won't get him a higher wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
You offer no suggestions, when the conclusion is staring him right in the face.
They don't do solutions. They only play the victim card. Repeatedly.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
I love the member of the 53% club that says her father is living the American Dream by working three jobs while dying of cancer. That blog is chock full of useful idiots dutifully taking orders from their corporate puppetmasters.

Last edited by Sco; 10-12-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I said millions. Not "Most". No, $2k cash is not prosperous. But if you have $2k cash and no debt,you are in a very good position to become prosperous. Millions of Americans started with nothing and became prosperous. Not rich, but comfortable.

All able bodied people with decent intelligence can "get ahead". And that's by far the majority.

140,000,000 Americans have jobs. You "get ahead" by living within your means, not getting into debt and working your butt off. That's how it's always been and how it always will be.

There were 3.1 million job openings at the end of August. You only need one of those 3.1 million.

15 million Americans get HIRED every year.

True. Those with disabilities are at a disadvantage. But even some of them "get ahead".

You don't need to win the lottery to "get ahead". Most people with a comfortable financial situation worked to get there.

What facts are those?
If not most, then by reason, what you are saying is the majority cannot get ahead. Read you own words.
Having an able body and intelligence does little for you when there are no jobs.

There were 14 million people competing for those 3.1 million openings Einstein, so tell me what the other 8.9 million are supposed to do.

These people are angry because corporations, Wall St bankers, and the Federal Government conspired to export millions and millions of jobs overseas so a small minority of people could make obscene profits by putting their fellow citizens out of work.

They have every right to be angry.

It is painfully obvious that you do not know enough of the facts and figures to have a realistic comprehensive view of the economic situation.
Just because it has not personally affected you, does not mean it will not.
The problems caused by the hundreds of trillions of derivatives created by the banking industry are not only still out there waiting to cause the worst depression you could imagine, they are still growing!
The whole world economy is based on mountains of debt created by banks and there are not enough assets or economic growth to service them.
The steak you paid $4 a pound for 3 years ago is now $8 and in 3 more years it will be $12.
Your electric bills will be 50% higher in 5 years, and your local and state governments are working daily to raise taxes and fees to make up for the income and property taxes they are not able to collect.
The closer you get to retirement the faster inflation will escalate until you realize you cannot take the chance to quit work and risk poverty.
At that point, you will wake up one day and realize what it was those people who were out in the streets, were trying to tell you and the throngs of others, who cannot see the forest for the trees.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But millionaires next door did it with above-average incomes and in most cases with a business they owned or with a professional practice. Pretty hard to do it as a burger flipper.

Exactly, working for minimum wage a person would have to save 100% of their pre-tax income for 66 years to become a millionaire.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM

376 posts, read 295,731 times
Keep up the victim mentailty you looser 46% of the self proclaimed 99% who are against the 1% because the 53% who are technically in the 99% but in no way comiserate with the 46% appreciate the freedoms and opportunities available in this country that don't preclude us from the 52%, 45%, 10% or 1% if we are exceptionally motivated, gifted and or lucky, can appreciate the fact that you sure aren't adding to the competition to get there.

Are you following me?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Read Post #1 again. And tell me that the entire point of "We are the 53%" isn't an assertion that 53% of the population are better than 47%, by virtue of being responsible and contributing members of society, which implies that the 47% are irresponsible, non-contributing whiners (aka, free-loaders).
Responsible contributing members of society are better than non-contributing whiners. There I said it. Not afraid to say that I think it.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Keep up the victim mentailty you looser 46% of the self proclaimed 99% who are against the 1% because the 53% who are technically in the 99% but in no way comiserate with the 46% appreciate the freedoms and opportunities available in this country that don't preclude us from the 52%, 45%, 10% or 1% if we are exceptionally motivated, gifted and or lucky, can appreciate the fact that you sure aren't adding to the competition to get there.

Are you following me?
No, so what percent does that put me in?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Since they pay numerous taxes, including federal income tax, the answer would be no. That their deductions, allowed by the government, equal or exceed their federal tax liability, does not void that they had tax liability to begin with, and paid taxes on the state and local levels.
If your tax liability is negative you got more than you paid which means you paid nothing and took some from someone else that did actually pay.

No amount of spin can change a negative tax liability.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Sco

Quote:
Read Post #1 again. And tell me that the entire point of "We are the 53%" isn't an assertion that 53% of the population are better than 47%, by virtue of being responsible and contributing members of society, which implies that the 47% are irresponsible, non-contributing whiners (aka, free-loaders).
The really funny thing is that a lot of the 53% whiners admit that they are unemployed or making a very low income and are not even really part of the 53% club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies