Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 PM

296 posts, read 413,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
That's kinda the point Glitch. It's not illegal, but morally it's wrong. Influencing the law of the land with your wallet, is wrong.

Anywhere else you would be arrested. Paying off politicians to get a contract, bribing a police officer, etc, you would go to jail.

Only in Washington do they call it "campaign contributions" and "lobbying" and get away with it.
When you get big enough like our giant corporate friends, you realize how important it is to maintain the legality of campaign contributions: crony capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
According to the Supreme Court political contributions by individuals or corporations is not a criminal activity. If you do not like their decision then move to another country where free speech is considered a criminal activity, like maybe Canada.
The Supreme Court is corrupt, they are bought and paid for too.
And no I will stay and fight to liberate my country from the fascist pigs.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
That's kinda the point Glitch. It's not illegal, but morally it's wrong. Influencing the law of the land with your wallet, is wrong.

Anywhere else you would be arrested. Paying off politicians to get a contract, bribing a police officer, etc, you would go to jail.

Only in Washington do they call it "campaign contributions" and "lobbying" and get away with it.
Have you lost your mind? Anywhere else you would be arrested? What world are you from. Look around and see how other countries operate. Ever heard of dictators? LOL. If you think bribes are not a big part of most governments throughout the world then your are so far lost there is no return. Most don't bribe or influence they just kill the opposition.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,417,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The Supreme Court is corrupt, they are bought and paid for too.
And no I will stay and fight to liberate my country from the fascist pigs.
i think i'll stick around too, and help free this country up a little bit!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
According to the Supreme Court political contributions by individuals or corporations is not a criminal activity. If you do not like their decision then move to another country where free speech is considered a criminal activity, like maybe Canada.
That's why the way to fix it is a constitutional amendment. The Supreme Court's job is to interpret the constitution--not to just pull rulings out of their sleeves. When problems like this come up, we've amended it in the past--27 different times.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Have you lost your mind? Anywhere else you would be arrested? What world are you from. Look around and see how other countries operate. Ever heard of dictators? LOL. If you think bribes are not a big part of most governments throughout the world then your are so far lost there is no return. Most don't bribe or influence they just kill the opposition.
That's just it--we're America. We're not supposed to run our government like a third world banana republic, and I hope you're not suggesting that we start. If there's a problem, we need to fix it through LAW. A constitutional amendment prohibiting campaign contributions is a start--publicly fund them, let people stand or fall on the strength of their ideas and their track record, and then they owe special interests NOTHING when they get to DC. The only people they'd be obligated to are the voters who put them in office.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM

A way has been provided to fix it. Not running around screaming about evil rich people either. Vote out the crooks and install new folks in their place. The tea party actually did that and were vilified by the left because they were told to do so. There is the main problem. Idiots voting. The founders didn't expect mind numbed fools to run rampant across the country to vote for hope and change BS. I guess that is their main fault.

Good luck passing an amendment. To do that you would need to vote in folks who agree. Running around Wall street smoking pot and screaming how the rich are evil isn't doing anything. Meanwhile the president is running around stoking the class warfare fire by the day. People are too stupid to realize it.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,417,271 times
Quote:
A way has been provided to fix it. Not running around screaming about evil rich people either. Vote out the crooks and install new folks in their place. The tea party actually did that and were vilified by the left because they were told to do so. There is the main problem. Idiots voting. The founders didn't expect mind numbed fools to run rampant across the country to vote for hope and change BS. I guess that is their main fault.

Good luck passing an amendment. To do that you would need to vote in folks who agree. Running around Wall street smoking pot and screaming how the rich are evil isn't doing anything. Meanwhile the president is running around stoking the class warfare fire by the day. People are too stupid to realize it.
wait, you're saying that the Tea Party, as it stands right now, isn't bought and paid for?? that's a laugh...Ron Paul would be the closest i could imagine, and he's kind of inching away from what the Tea Party has morphed into.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM

See what I mean??

Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:

The tea party was not a grass roots movement if was funded by Koch and others. The problem is the one with the most campaign donations wins, and who has the money for campaign donations...banks and Corporate America. So that we get around this problem with Campaign contributions and political advertising being free speech protectd, why not start a grass roots movement for a constitutional amendment that makes campaign contributions larger than $100 per individual illegal and no PAC's or anything of that nature.

That is what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies