Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You have nothing, thought so.
Nope that would be YOU that does not understand that Nazism is more closley aligned with right-wing ideology than left and that book burning in the US is more of a right-wing religious zelot thing. As I said, Read more, Post less

Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Casper, just wondering because I actually have not read the book, but what is Pinheads and Patriots about?
I have not read it either but here is a general overview:

America is changing rapidly; some would even say seismically. As a dominant political force in our nation, President Barack Obama has been at the center of many of these cultural shifts. Following the success of his previous no-nonsense, tell-it-like it-is bestsellers, Bill O’Reilly now offers a detailed examination of how the decisions President Obama is making, the programs he is championing, and the support and opposition he is getting from others will ultimately impact everyday Americans.
Bold and sure to be provocative, Pinheads and Patriots names names and offers thoughtful critiques of the most powerful people shaping our lives today. What’s important to O’Reilly isn’t what these movers and shakers say; it’s what they do (although, saying dumb stuff can definitely qualify one for pinhead status!). In the inimitable style that has made him one of the most popular and influential figures in the country today, O’Reilly lavishes praise when it’s earned and dolls out the harshest criticism where it’s needed on the most important subjects facing Americans: freedom, money, politics, the media, the culture war. He backs up his analyses with behind-the-scenes information culled from campaign interviews with Obama, Hillary Clinton and John McCain, as well as details of his confrontations with Congressman Barney Frank and others. Featuring impeccable research and accessible and witty writing, Pinheads and Patriots is an essential resource for traditional Americans, and all others trying to figure out their place in a country redefining itself.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nope that would be YOU that does not understand that Nazism is more closley aligned with right-wing ideology than left and that book burning in the US is more of a right-wing religious zelot thing. As I said, Read more, Post less
Many here wish you'd take your own advice. You are the one who severely lacks understanding which you prove in nearly every post

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Then you're just another liberal hypocrite, you're ok burning books that doesn't follow your political ideology. And I thought Liberals were supposed to be "open minded". The Nazis would be proud of you though. Book Burning

You got any proof to back that up.
The people who are comparing this to Nazi book burning or anything similar clearly have no idea about what they speak of.

Let me point out a few universal truths about Nazi, Communist, etc book burnings

-The decision to burn the books was made by people with vast power and done in the interest to control the information available to the public
-The books were burned to prevent people from accessing the ideas and information they contained.
-The books being burned did not belong to the people who decided they must be burnt
-failure to comply could result in being imprisoned or death

In short, these book burnings were a forceful way to eliminate alternative ideologies and viewpoints, to further control the people and consolidate their already inordinate amount of power.

Now let's look at the key differences in this burning.

-The decision to burn the books was simply a matter of practicality as the soliders did not want them, storage was limited, and other means of disposal are not available to them being that are on a remote military outpost
-they did not prevent other people in accessing these books, only themselves
-The people who burned the books, OWNED them.
-there was no issue of compliance it was done voluntarily, and apparently with at least of certain level of enjoyment

In short these people burned books which were their own personal property because they did not want them.

If i have a bunch of college textbooks that i no longer use so i decide to burn them, i'm not doing anything morally wrong. I'm not preventing people from accessing information, i'm not ordering anyone else to destroy books, I'm simply disposing of my own personal property.

The means in which I disposed of them would of course be absurd, why burn them when i could easily recycle them or give them away? But the fact remains that the only problems with me burning my own books, are logical ones, not moral ones. My burning of my own books in NO WAY equates to nazi book burnings.

The book burning these soldiers took part in is no different then my hypothetical book burning... with one key difference. The options of giving these books away or recycling them is not available to them like they are to me. Why? Well because they are on a remote military outpost, RISKING THEIR LIVES!!!

So not only is this method of disposal logical, but it's perfectly morally acceptable as well, they have done nothing to harm anyone, they have burned their own personal property because they do not want it.

If you can't tell the difference between what happened here and what happened when nazi's ordered the burning of books then you are a total fool.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Some idiot teabagger decided to send a box of Bill O'Reilly's worthless "Pinheads and Patriots" book to our brave men serving in a very remote location in Afghanistan instead of things the soldiers would actually need like say... food, clothes, soap etc.

Like any sensible human being would, the soldiers decided to burn the worthless volumes of right wing propaganda.
Naturally! It gets cold in Afghanistan. You wouldn't want our troops to freeze, would you? (The teabagger will probably ask to be rewarded for his efforts to keep the soldiers warm!)

Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

It would be nice if we applied the same standard of "military necessity" to decide if people who go by "Ever*****" should be in the military in the first place?
Can I take this to mean you are against the repeal of DADT?

Why do you hate America?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM

683 posts, read 825,196 times
O'Reilly is a sell out / corporate fascist pig. And a disgrace to the Irish working class families who helped build this country.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Spoiler
Some idiot teabagger decided to send a box of Bill O'Reilly's worthless "Pinheads and Patriots" book to our brave men serving in a very remote location in Afghanistan instead of things the soldiers would actually need like say... food, clothes, soap etc.

Like any sensible human being would, the soldiers decided to burn the worthless volumes of right wing propaganda. While I'm not a fan of book burning, I definitely make an exception in this case. The person who sent the books is a total teabagger political hack who has no concern for the well being of our troops whatsoever besides advancing their own narrow political agenda.

Here is the story:

Bill O'Reilly Book Burned By Soldiers In Afghanistan (PHOTOS)

Honestly speaking, I don't see any use for O'Reilly's books besides possibly using them as toilet paper. Given that the pages are hardly tp material, burning them seems like the only logical thing to do.

I applaud the soldiers for doing this. Whoever sent the books owes the soldiers and our military an apology. That's my two cents.
Although the soldier burning the books, due to a severe lack of storage space, DID save one for the book shelf. I'm sure in anticipation of your visit.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Only in your world would you deduce that "chock full" means "vast majority." It's an expression that I used to mean 'alot'. Get over it.<snip>
Pathetic attempt to walk it back....

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Many here wish you'd take your own advice. You are the one who severely lacks understanding which you prove in nearly every post
Ahhh, as usual you have NOTHING to add to the conversation except another personal attack, so very typical of righties when they have Nothing.
I know many of you righties Hate me, some of you guys tell me as much daily, GOOD, that means what I do here is the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies