Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
From your quote in bold.
And??? So one guy "took pleasure"? So. What is the big deal? I'm sure they burn about everything they don't need. Much ado about a hairdo. But it sure got the orielly haters all riled up didn't it. LOL. Doesn't take much to get the salivating haters wound up.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Some idiot teabagger decided to send a box of Bill O'Reilly's worthless "Pinheads and Patriots" book to our brave men serving in a very remote location in Afghanistan instead of things the soldiers would actually need like say... food, clothes, soap etc.

Like any sensible human being would, the soldiers decided to burn the worthless volumes of right wing propaganda. While I'm not a fan of book burning, I definitely make an exception in this case. The person who sent the books is a total teabagger political hack who has no concern for the well being of our troops whatsoever besides advancing their own narrow political agenda.

Here is the story:

Bill O'Reilly Book Burned By Soldiers In Afghanistan (PHOTOS)

Honestly speaking, I don't see any use for O'Reilly's books besides possibly using them as toilet paper. Given that the pages are hardly tp material, burning them seems like the only logical thing to do.

I applaud the soldiers for doing this. Whoever sent the books owes the soldiers and our military an apology. That's my two cents.
gld to see the left openly approve book burning

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, I see that, and have referred to it above. But don't try to act like you knew it, either. Your post above shows that you didn't, because you said you would have burnt them as well.....and you certainly weren't discussing "military necessity" when you said that.
I would have given the troops a chance to pick through anything before I had them burned. I never threw away anything before the troops had a chance to pick through them and I never ate first. This is just SOP. You should know that. Stop trying to make this personal. When I said I would burn them, it is implied and would expect you to understand, if you actually have been in the military that I would HAVE them burned. In other words, I would have ordered the gunney to have them burned.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
And??? So one guy "took pleasure"? So. What is the big deal? I'm sure they burn about everything they don't need. Much ado about a hairdo. But it sure got the orielly haters all riled up didn't it. LOL. Doesn't take much to get the salivating haters wound up.
It is funny. If it were a Rachel Ray book, would not have been as funny.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, they're just total douchebags. The military is chock full of douchebags, contrary to the fairtytale ideal that puts all of them on a pedestal when it fits a certain agenda, whether it be left or right. In this case, these douchebags are put on a pedestal by the left. Tomorrow the same douchebags will be put on a pedestal by the right for something else. But at the end of the day, they're still douchebags.
Speak for yourself, the vast majority of those I served with were Good People, maybe it was that way with you REMFS but not with us Grunts. Good thing you are no longer serving, the miltary is better off without people that consider the vast majority of their fellow soldiers as douchbags. Maybe you should have been honest and told them what you thought of them before you left, I am sure they would have beem amused and given you a going away party.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Some idiot teabagger decided to send a box of Bill O'Reilly's worthless "Pinheads and Patriots" book to our brave men serving in a very remote location in Afghanistan instead of things the soldiers would actually need like say... food, clothes, soap etc.

Like any sensible human being would, the soldiers decided to burn the worthless volumes of right wing propaganda. While I'm not a fan of book burning, I definitely make an exception in this case. The person who sent the books is a total teabagger political hack who has no concern for the well being of our troops whatsoever besides advancing their own narrow political agenda.

Here is the story:

Honestly speaking, I don't see any use for O'Reilly's books besides possibly using them as toilet paper. Given that the pages are hardly tp material, burning them seems like the only logical thing to do.

I applaud the soldiers for doing this. Whoever sent the books owes the soldiers and our military an apology. That's my two cents.
Then you're just another liberal hypocrite, you're ok burning books that doesn't follow your political ideology. And I thought Liberals were supposed to be "open minded". The Nazis would be proud of you though. Book Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Couple of points to clear up for ya. If you want to insult the Left you call them Commies, the nationalist righties are far closer to the Nazis way of thinking. Read More. Both have burned books but in this country more books have been burned by your side of the spectrum than the others guys have ever even thought of burning.
You got any proof to back that up.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, the vast majority of those I served with were Good People, maybe it was that way with you REMFS but not with us Grunts. Good thing you are no longer serving, the miltary is better off without people that consider the vast majority of their fellow soldiers as douchbags. Maybe you should have been honest and told them what you thought of them before you left, I am sure they would have beem amused and given you a going away party.
Who said anything about "vast majority?" Certainly not me. Don't put words in my mouth. That's an Order.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Based on his posts, I am doubting that he was actually in the military. Maybe he like many have a false perception of people in the military. It is funny really. The civilians who have the best understanding are people who live next to a military base.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Default Epic fail!

Quote:

Here is the story:

Did you fail to read your own link?

"I’ve read people’s squeamishness about setting books ablaze. I hear you. The motivation behind the order to burn them was not political. As mentioned in the original post, we are in an extraordinarily remote location. We don’t have a post office here, so sending them back wasn’t an option. Extra space is scarce and alternatives that a few mentioned, like recycling, are nonexistent. All waste is burned on the base and in town; wood and paper goes in that barrel. I was getting rid of a bunch of cardboard boxes and the books were in the burn pile. There were 20 of them. I saved one for the bookshelf. I’m aware of the historical implications of book-burning. I won’t say I didn’t take pleasure in removing a few copies of this bigoted twerp’s writings from circulation, but the reason for doing so was military necessity."

YOUR SPIN: "the soldiers decided to burn the worthless volumes of right wing propaganda."

Actually, the soldier decided to follow orders.

The next question becomes who is Ever*****, does he or she really exist, serve in Afghanistan and burn books, or is the whole thing an Internet hoax by an anonymous individual?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Based on his posts, I am doubting that he was actually in the military. Maybe he like many have a false perception of people in the military. It is funny really. The civilians who have the best understanding are people who live next to a military base.
False perception? LOL....I just got back from 12 months in Iraq on September 9, 2011. Does that clear anything up for you?

Don't question my background. I haven't questioned yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies