Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the Country to be Born in where you would be considered "Poor"
Iran 0 0%
North Korea 4 4.82%
Brazil 2 2.41%
Sudan 1 1.20%
United States 59 71.08%
Mexico 0 0%
UK 16 19.28%
Indonesia 0 0%
China 1 1.20%
Russia 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM

674 posts, read 698,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
We have the most lenient immigration laws of any developed country in the world.
Do you have any proof of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
A Ph.D. student in USA

Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Do you have any proof of this?
Fair question. I can't find one website with all of the information. Before doing graduate level work I thought about doing it in other countries, but I wanted somewhere that I could continue to live there after school. Almost any developed country will let you go there to study, but their standards are more more difficult to stay there. The U.S. just has a completely different standard for immigration than most other countries.

Ours is based more on a quota system and family status. Most European countries and Australia have a points based system. The points are all based on what you can do for their country. I think that is a good idea. I wish we would move in that direction.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
It kind of depends where within the particular country, too. For instance, I could deal with rural poverty in the US, having already grown up for a while in those circumstances. But I would not want to be poor in a poor section of an American city, due to the extreme levels of violence and crime in a lot of those places.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
america bek american version of poor is nothing. when i got back from 5 rough years overseas.
i thought a flop house in SF mission district was a 5 star hotel.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the Nordic Countries.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do you actually think that they welcome people with zero skills or talents who will just suck up resources?
In those countries, it's a lot less likely that you'll end up that way as university is a lot cheaper or even paid for. It's a lot harder to slip through the cracks, unless you're a total dumbass, hell bent on screwing your life up.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Mexico, I like their woman.

Who, exactly, is "their woman"?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I meant to say the "poor" here in the USA have it easier than the middle class in the USA.

They live a worry free life, they never have to worry about work, responsibility, bills, taxes. They are given all the material comforts, many of the luxuries like free internet, free computers, free cable television, and of course the free cell phones and usually do their shopping at the mall while working people are buying used clothes at the Goodwill or garage sales.

<scratching head> Huh? What material comforts are they given, other than food stamps (which are intended to be supplemental, not total). Housing is not an entitlement, and it is difficult to get subsidized housing because demand far exceeds supply.

I don't have a television, but I sure could use free internet and a free computer...where do I sign up? No free cell phones in my state either. Shopping at the mall, surely you jest, I go to thrift stores looking for their half-price deals. Can't surf garage sales since I don't have a car. (I tried it once without a car and discovered you can't get to more than a few unless there's a cluster in the same neighborhood.)

Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Heck -- the "poor" in the USA have it harder than the working middle class in many cases.

I just watched a couple welfare queens at the check out with carts loaded, and saw them pull out their food cards to pay for over $500 each in food purchases, a whole lot of it either junk food or gourmet. Almost no working person in the USA has that kind of money for food in one shopping trip.

Here the "poor" get all their health care free, no co-pays or premiums, HUD houses can be over 2500 sq ft and over $2500 a month if one was renting, in addition to all the food stamps, they get WIC coupons, free babysitting at the Head Start center even if they don't work but prefer to spend their days laying in front of the television and someone else taking care of their kids. The "poor" are now given cell phones, have their utilities paid. They have it quite a lot better than the hardworking middle class.

Even bums in the USA carry around cell phones but expect for others to donate for their free meals and free rooms at the homeless shelters.

Childless adults generally don't qualify for Medicaid; some states cover those with incomes below 50% of poverty line.

HUD houses are sold to investors who then own and rent them out, I have no idea where I would go to rent a HUD house. I can't even get on the waiting list for Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies