Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the Country to be Born in where you would be considered "Poor"
Iran 0 0%
North Korea 4 4.82%
Brazil 2 2.41%
Sudan 1 1.20%
United States 59 71.08%
Mexico 0 0%
UK 16 19.28%
Indonesia 0 0%
China 1 1.20%
Russia 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do you actually think that they welcome people with zero skills or talents who will just suck up resources?
The OP asked in which country (from a limited slection) is it best to be born into poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
What country besides the USA would give people too lazy to work so much money they can travel to expensive resorts and get their nails done at expensive nail salons?

Pricey vacations that the middle class could never have, vacations to Las Vegas, winters in Florida, Hawaii. $200 luxury rooms at a resort? $200 nail salons? Poor in America is not a hardship whatsoever.

Mass. Welfare Money Spent On Resorts, Nail Salons - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Any country around the globe. The only criteria is that you would be included as one of that country's poorest.
Which one is it - any country around the globe, or from the list? You say one thing in your poll, and another in your first post. Ever think of running for office?

Re: your list. With the exception of the UK, your bias is really showing through with the countries you lumped in there with the US. Unless you think the US is on the same level as those countries??

As for me, regardless of which question you meant to ask, and which answer you're hoping to see, I'd pick the U.S.A. - I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Japan

Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If the 'poor' of Norway, Demark, Sweden, New Zealand, Canada don't own a house, a vehicle, get HUD subsidies, food stamps, have multiple HDTV, xbox, cell phones, internet connection, computers, free school food, head start at school, earned income credit on April 15th, medicaid, I'd choose the bennies of being poor in the U.S.

And its dam cold year round. I wouldn't want to live there under any circumstances....rich or poor.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Good Lord--do you think you might get a little overly dramatic from time to time? The question was which country--any country in the world--that you'd want to live in if you were poor. I'm not stupid. Why wouldn't I name the ones that have the best standard of living across the board? The part that I find most entertaining is that you've translated that into "hating America." Would I love America more if I chose Bangladesh?

**banging head on computer screen**
Why wouldnt you want to move to the country that has the "best standard of living" across the board?

**banging head on computer screen**

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'd pick, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Luxemborg, Austria, Ireland, and Canada over the U.s.

even so i chose U.K. from your list.

who in their right mind would pick the u.s. over these countries?

Who in their right mind would pick a list of frozen tundra countries?

I wouldn't pick any country on your list. They are all way too cold to live in whether you are rich or poor.

But it's nice that we have choices.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And its dam cold year round. I wouldn't want to live there under any circumstances....rich or poor.
Exactly.

That is what I don't understand about all the people saying "Norway" as their preference, don't they realize that whatever perceived social benefits they'd have they'd be stuck in ****ing Norway where the average high temperature in August is 69 degrees?

I'd easily take the United States where you have diverse climates, cultures, and landscapes.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Which one is it - any country around the globe, or from the list? You say one thing in your poll, and another in your first post. Ever think of running for office?

Re: your list. With the exception of the UK, your bias is really showing through with the countries you lumped in there with the US. Unless you think the US is on the same level as those countries??

As for me, regardless of which question you meant to ask, and which answer you're hoping to see, I'd pick the U.S.A. - I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Good lord, many of the individuals have figured out that if you dont like one of the ones on the list, then you are free to post our own.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Exactly.

That is what I don't understand about all the people saying "Norway" as their preference, don't they realize that whatever perceived social benefits they'd have they'd be stuck in ****ing Norway where the average high temperature in August is 69 degrees?

I'd easily take the United States where you have diverse climates, cultures, and landscapes.
Norway's climate is moderated by the Gulf Stream, much like the rest of Europe's Atlantic coastal countries. Much of Norway would be warmer in winter than many parts of the US, a dozen+ degrees south in latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies