Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
ASo, Christmas has always been a Christian Holiday celebrating the birth of Christ ... and openly so since the 5th Century. Prior to that, it was still a celebration of Christ's birth, concealed within the celebration of Saturnalia.
While smug pagans undoubtedly told the Christians that they were really celebrating Saturnalia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I acknowledge that New Year's marks the start of a new year. But to say that New Year's is not about drinking, partying and bringing in the new year is disingenuous. But, let's agree to disagree on this one. I must have missed the religious component to this day somewhere along the way.
So you're question: "Where do I say that New Year's is "just" about partying and getting drunk?"

Was simply to waste people's time?

What you are saying is that because YOU don't celebrate any holidays that don't have religious significane to YOU, that everyone else should adopt that same standard. That is your argument. Would you care to explain why you think that argument has any weight at all? What is it about YOU and YOUR beliefs that should take precedence over everyone else's?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you're question: "Where do I say that New Year's is "just" about partying and getting drunk?"

Was simply to waste people's time?

What you are saying is that because YOU don't celebrate any holidays that don't have religious significane to YOU, that everyone else should adopt that same standard. That is your argument. Would you care to explain why you think that argument has any weight at all? What is it about YOU and YOUR beliefs that should take precedence over everyone else's?

Are you intentionally making things up? Where do I say that people have to do anything? You can celebrate whatever you want. I just find it interesting that atheists celebrate a Christian holiday. Where do I say that my beliefs should take precedence? I guess I should just recognize that some people aren't as strong in their convictions. It's okay to be anti-Christian...as long as it doesn't get in the way of a good celebration and "doing it because everyone else is".

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I celebrate for the season. It is that time of year. Not because of Christ.

Christ is not mentioned even once in my household as we open up presents or decorate a tree or anything else.

Christians do NOT have a monopoly on a holiday they stole by brutally murdering the Pagans.

Wow- "brutally mudering pagans".....................

Why is it that liberals hate Christianity so much? Answer- marching orders from Stalin and The Frankfurt School. Liberals do not realize that thier hatred of Christianity, as well as the family and the middle class, is simply a reflection of far left/communist strategies to make the west more susceptible to communism.

Why is that the left cherishes Islam, which would oppose and slaughter most liberals, yet hates Christianity? It is quite a paradox for the lib and can confuse the hell out of them.

PS- They call it Chist Mass for a reason. Perhaps you should just celebrate some pagan ritual and it would be more appropriate in your home. Too bad for your kids.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Why is it that liberals hate Christianity so much? Answer- marching orders from Stalin and The Frankfurt School. Liberals do not realize that thier hatred of Christianity, as well as the family and the middle class, is simply a reflection of far left/communist strategies to make the west more susceptible to communism.

Why is that the left cherishes Islam, which would oppose and slaughter most liberals, yet hates Christianity? It is quite a paradox for the lib and can confuse the hell out of them.
Um.... I loathe Islam one million times more than Christianity. I openly post about it here. Try doing a quick search and educate yourself if possible. You are wrong. Again.

I love religious people. They're always wrong and silly.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
As an atheist, I 'celebrate' all kinds of religious holidays. I have friends of many different beliefs and while I may not regularly participate and I never 'worship', it's in my nature to try and experience what this world has to offer.

As for Christmas in particular, I know of very few people who actually celebrate it as a religious holiday, most people celebrate it as a cultural holiday. I see absolutely no problems with it.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

PS- They call it Chist Mass for a reason. Perhaps you should just celebrate some pagan ritual and it would be more appropriate in your home. Too bad for your kids.
Perhaps I should wish atheists a Merry Saturnalia?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Yes, well, non-believers who celebrate Christmas aren't doing it in a "I'm so honored that you invited me to your celebration" sort of way. I think that if non-believers gave Christians/Christmas the level of respect I'm guessing they would give if celebrating a different holiday in another country, this would not be an issue.

It's just very interesting to me how some folks can be absolutely RABID about dissing all things Christian, yet they rationalize and rationalize and rationalize their observance of Christmas.
So I am gathering that you are upset about non-believers celebrating Christmas. Maybe the person or person(s) that you know who are not religious are just very sanctimonious about their non-belief and their knowledge of the pagan roots of Christianity.

Now if you as a Christian invited a non-believer over to your house and they knew you were Christian and then went only to diss your religion, I can see where you are coming from. I can only speak for myself as someone who does not believe in any religion. My whole family is Christian, very evangelical Christian. I am invited to their homes for Christmas and Easter/Ressurrection Day (don't know why all the sudden Easter's name was changed but that is another question). I am respectful of their acknowledgement of their religious holidays. They know I am not religious and I have told them this and that I do not want to be preached to or attempt to be converted. They are respectful of my wishes. I bow my head when they pray. I don't pray but I do give thanks to my food because I just do that.

You seem to be saying that people who are not Christians should not celebrate Christmas. You are also saying that you are not respectful of other people's religious beliefs and would not celebrate them, even if invited in another country to a religious celebration. As a non-believer, I say that is fine for you but I can do whatever I want to do on Christmas. I also can be respectful of your beliefs and your choices to celebrate holidays even though you may not show me the same respect. I can also use invitations to friends' religious ceremonies as a way to educate myself and my family about the different beliefs of the world. I know many Christians do not like to learn about other faiths. It is always interesting to me since I wonder if they are afraid they will find their faith lacking just to learn about another. Or if they just think that they as Christians are believers of the only true religion and that the majority of the world who do not believe as they believe are religious idiots condemned to hell. It is all interesting to me. But regardless, I will respect everyone's religion, especially in their own country and not care how or why someone celebrates a holiday. People can do what they want to do and it is not worth my time getting all worked up about "MY" holiday or "THEIR" holiday. Especially since I am not religious so am not bound by any sort of rules concerning this.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Yes, but the "holidays" of what? Why celebrate "the holidays" this time of year? Why not September?
Of...what ever I want.

What else is there to do in the Winter?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So I am gathering that you are upset about non-believers celebrating Christmas. Maybe the person or person(s) that you know who are not religious are just very sanctimonious about their non-belief and their knowledge of the pagan roots of Christianity.

No, not upset. Just curious about it. But definitely not upset...the more people who adopt Christ's spirit of good will, peace and cheer the better.

Now if you as a Christian invited a non-believer over to your house and they knew you were Christian and then went only to diss your religion, I can see where you are coming from. I can only speak for myself as someone who does not believe in any religion. My whole family is Christian, very evangelical Christian. I am invited to their homes for Christmas and Easter/Ressurrection Day (don't know why all the sudden Easter's name was changed but that is another question). I am respectful of their acknowledgement of their religious holidays. They know I am not religious and I have told them this and that I do not want to be preached to or attempt to be converted. They are respectful of my wishes. I bow my head when they pray. I don't pray but I do give thanks to my food because I just do that.

You seem to be saying that people who are not Christians should not celebrate Christmas. You are also saying that you are not respectful of other people's religious beliefs and would not celebrate them, even if invited in another country to a religious celebration. As a non-believer, I say that is fine for you but I can do whatever I want to do on Christmas. I also can be respectful of your beliefs and your choices to celebrate holidays even though you may not show me the same respect. I can also use invitations to friends' religious ceremonies as a way to educate myself and my family about the different beliefs of the world. I know many Christians do not like to learn about other faiths. It is always interesting to me since I wonder if they are afraid they will find their faith lacking just to learn about another. Or if they just think that they as Christians are believers of the only true religion and that the majority of the world who do not believe as they believe are religious idiots condemned to hell. It is all interesting to me. But regardless, I will respect everyone's religion, especially in their own country and not care how or why someone celebrates a holiday. People can do what they want to do and it is not worth my time getting all worked up about "MY" holiday or "THEIR" holiday. Especially since I am not religious so am not bound by any sort of rules concerning this.
Wow...I'm not saying this at all. Where do I say non-Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas? I'm merely curious about those who do when the holiday goes against everything they believe (or don't believe) in.

And where do I say I don't "respect" other religious holidays? Not observing does not equal disrespect. Does your celebration of Christmas mean you respect the Christian-focus of Christmas?

I am a curious person by nature and it is always fascinating to learn about other beliefs..that does not mean that I take part in observing their various holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies