Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great point and true!

Repugs, being quite stupid, think that these folks who lost their jobs , these MILLIONS of Americans, CHOSE to lose their jobs out of sheer laziness!!!

The brainwashed Repugs think ALL thses people didn't get laid off, they think these people quit so that they could stay home and live a life of luxury on unemployment.

They think people quit their jobs so they could lose their homes and make their family, their kids, miserable, on purpose!!!

Repugs are so stupid they don't know that thousands of Americans losing their savings and their homes is bad for ALL Americans EXCEPT the 2% wealthiest.

So Republicans ignore The Wealthy, their ONLY god, who stole BILLIONS in taxpayer's money and , of course, attack average middle class Americans ...

They aren't too bright because they themselves ARE average middle class Americans..

I like to see their stats on how many people who are jobless are Repugs..... maybe THEY shouldn't get an extension since they're perfect...
Wow, calling other people stupid when you think people collect unemployment when they quit their job, and that only the wealthy republicans stole billions in taxpayer's money. Solyndra come to mind? You know, the company that your messiah illegally gave taxpayer dollars to?

I'm a republican (yeah, we get it. When you're in junior high, stupid namecalling is funny) and lost my job. I found a job in 4 months. I don't think you'd want to see those stats, since it tends to be democrats that have an entitlement mentality.

Partisan blindness is a sad, sad illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wow, calling other people stupid when you think people collect unemployment when they quit their job, and that only the wealthy republicans stole billions in taxpayer's money. Solyndra come to mind? You know, the company that your messiah illegally gave taxpayer dollars to?

I'm a republican (yeah, we get it. When you're in junior high, stupid namecalling is funny) and lost my job. I found a job in 4 months. I don't think you'd want to see those stats, since it tends to be democrats that have an entitlement mentality.

Partisan blindness is a sad, sad illness.
I use the word "stupid" when it applies:

I NEVER posted I..."think people collect unemployment when they quit their job"...

I NEVER posted "...only wealthy republicans stole billions in taxpayer's money..."

Partisan blindness creating inability to read is a sad , stupid illness.....

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No I wouldn't mind. The single person will have more discretionary spending, of course. But a man should not put in a 40 or 50 hour week of labor and not be able to pay for the basic necessities of life.
If a minmum wage is to be set, at what level should this liveable wage be set?
For a single person, a married couple, a family of 4 or the family of 6?
Why should the economy be further upset by mandating a wage for a single person equal to that of a family of 6 or 8?

If the apartment is in a tenement in a somewhat slummy neighborhood but passes inspection, there is no complaint, right?

I gather that this would satisfy the food requirement?
FEMA Units, one year food supplies, basic staples, inexpensive, packed for long term, whole foods, for family, adult or child.

I suppose if I tell you I know people whose income is that of current minimum wage (as well as at and below current poverty level)and they manage , I suppose you won't believe me.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
ringwise"If you are paid for a job that you accepted, you are paid fairly. If you are worth more, you get that better job. Really that simple. "

Amen. When one accepts a job, one accepts the stated pay rate. Don't like it, fine, employment at will lets either party stop the agreement, the employer by firing, the employee by quitting.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If a minmum wage is to be set, at what level should this liveable wage be set?
For a single person, a married couple, a family of 4 or the family of 6?
Why should the economy be further upset by mandating a wage for a single person equal to that of a family of 6 or 8?

If the apartment is in a tenement in a somewhat slummy neighborhood but passes inspection, there is no complaint, right?

I gather that this would satisfy the food requirement?
FEMA Units, one year food supplies, basic staples, inexpensive, packed for long term, whole foods, for family, adult or child.

I suppose if I tell you I know people whose income is that of current minimum wage (as well as at and below current poverty level)and they manage , I suppose you won't believe me.
I believe you. I give people the benefit of the doubt. But I'd like to know what their family size is, who they live with, what their rent is, how much they pay for a car and car insurance, health insurance, etc.

On the apartment: What are the parameters set for successful inspection?

Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM

170 posts, read 362,175 times
Default well then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Except the government doesn't pay for anything, it confiscates the incomes of working people, it's the taxpayers who pay.
perhaps the taxpayers need to be more careful in their choices during election time. I am sure most, if not all, unemployed people would much rather be working. But this notion of "you do what you have to do" blah blah etc etc just doesn't cut it in a country with such wealth and freedom as ours. Low-paying no-benefit jobs are ok for teenagers and felons, but when a 30, 40, or 50-something person loses their job through government interference and incompetence it's time for it(government) to pay up, and cheerfully! Then the voters need to begin supporting candidates who will represent all of the people instead of all these disparate political interest groups.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM

170 posts, read 362,175 times
Default not lifelong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So who pays for this lifelong welfare? Because if you've got an answer, I'm sure Europe would be glad to know it.
only until full employment.... say a percentage from the recent past when things were good: 4% to 5% like during the Clinton or "W" years.

As far as Europe goes, they only need to know enough to keep the soccer hooligans happy, because that's all they really care about anyway: bread and circuses.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Default here's a problem...

So over two million people per year should be coming out of the work force due to intended retirement. Many of these lost their last jobs, although they intended to retire anyway. These folks are eligible to collect unemployment benefits. I know of a person age 70 who was working by choice. Lost her job, no big deal, she was financially ready to retire any time. But she collected UE benefits that got extended, and extended again! Got to be 71 1/2 years old, "unemployed" and collecting. Free gift! Another high-priced exec got laid off in the downturn, same story. Collect benefits!

When the extensions are cut off, we will see a lot of people come out of the statistical workforce because they were only in it on a fluke--they are retired, but collecting benefits.

Employers I know tried to hire people who were collecting; they wanted to work under the table or for cash so as to stay on the UE gravy train.

Lots of UE is going to people who do not need it.

(Yes, I already know that some people are hurting and need help. I am not talking about them.)

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
True, marcopolo, and that is why I'd like to see 20% ui check reductions per tier, which would also dissuade people from waiting for their long lost, dream job salary to return, and to accept the reality of salary haircuts. I wouldn't mind seeing the first 26 weeks paid out at 125% of todays rate, as the tier cut idea is meant less to save money as to push people into accepting the new normal.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So over two million people per year should be coming out of the work force due to intended retirement. Many of these lost their last jobs, although they intended to retire anyway. These folks are eligible to collect unemployment benefits. I know of a person age 70 who was working by choice. Lost her job, no big deal, she was financially ready to retire any time. But she collected UE benefits that got extended, and extended again! Got to be 71 1/2 years old, "unemployed" and collecting. Free gift!""""

NO, it was NOT free!!!

This person, depending on when she started working, may have been a contributing taxpayer for 50 plus years!!!!

"""Another high-priced exec got laid off in the downturn, same story. Collect benefits!

When the extensions are cut off, we will see a lot of people come out of the statistical workforce because they were only in it on a fluke--they are retired, but collecting benefits.

Employers I know tried to hire people who were collecting; they wanted to work under the table or for cash so as to stay on the UE gravy train.

Lots of UE is going to people who do not need it.

(Yes, I already know that some people are hurting and need help. I am not talking about them.)
You want BIGGER government meddling into people's private business/bank accounts to determine who DESERVES unemployment!!!!???!!!!

Good thing it doesn't work that way...the paperwork alone would cost millions!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies