Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You can tell me you've heard that declaration to suggest breastfeeding in public must not be all that necessary after all, or you can tell the truth. That's up to you, as is the last word unless YOU got somethin new that I haven't heard there, slugger.
I have absolutely no idea what this means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Do you know anything at all about babies?
Aww, Eleanora, so much promise.

Quote:
They cry. That's right. There are babies in the world and they cry. When they cry people feed them. You really need to get over it. I'm not going to stay home for the next two years because you seem unable to cope with these facts.
What an odd oversimplification. I asked you simply, why does a baby have to cry to be fed? If you don't have an answer, just say so. To be fair... if that's tolerated here... maybe what I call crying and what you call crying are different things. Maybe?

Zimbochick, I was doubting that you had heard "I've never seen a woman breastfeeding in public, so that tells me it's not all that necessary to a baby's survival for them to be breastfeed in public" from anyone else but me, because you said I hadn't brought anything to the discussion that you haven't discussed before. Part of what made me doubtcha was that you gave 3 examples of anti-public breastfeeding opinions, none of which were offered by me, to show you had heard "all the arguments". I don't believe that is true. In fact, I don't believe anyone has heard all the arguments on any given subject. There's always something more to consider.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Zimbochick, I was doubting that you had heard "I've never seen a woman breastfeeding in public, so that tells me it's not all that necessary to a baby's survival for them to be breastfeed in public" from anyone else but me, because you said I hadn't brought anything to the discussion that you haven't discussed before. Part of what made me doubtcha was that you gave 3 examples of anti-public breastfeeding opinions, none of which were offered by me, to show you had heard "all the arguments". I don't believe that is true. In fact, I don't believe anyone has heard all the arguments on any given subject. There's always something more to consider.
Your knowledge of all things breastfeeding is underwhelming in the extreme. Your arrogance, now that is impressive!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is why in civilized countries we have breast pumps and bottles.
Introducing a bottle can interfere with BFing.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Aww, Eleanora, so much promise.

What an odd oversimplification. I asked you simply, why does a baby have to cry to be fed? If you don't have an answer, just say so. To be fair... if that's tolerated here... maybe what I call crying and what you call crying are different things. Maybe?

What do you mean why does a baby have to cry to be fed? Are you seriously suggesting that I not respond when my baby cries?

Babies cry for many reasons. One of them happens to be hunger. When she cries I try to figure out why. I see if she has a dirty diaper, or she's caught her foot somewhere or yes if she's hungry. If she's hungry and we're in public I feed her. She often falls asleep and then wakes up crying from hunger. I'm sorry that my failure to anticipate the moment she wakes up and starts to cry seems to be so offensive to you but you're going to have to get over it.

You should be incredibly happy that I nurse her as it saves you money. Instead you natter on in ridiculously silly offended outrage about something that is none of your business.

If it bothers you so much to see a woman nurse a baby in public then go lobby legislators to make it illegal. I daresay repealing laws that allow women to feed babies in public will undoubtedly be a highly popular legislative act.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
What do you mean why does a baby have to cry to be fed? Are you seriously suggesting that I not respond when my baby cries?
How did you- How could you-

Nevermind.

Quote:
You should be incredibly happy that I nurse her as it saves you money. Instead you natter on in ridiculously silly offended outrage about something that is none of your business.
Hmm, waiting for you to start making sense...

Quote:
If it bothers you so much to see a woman nurse a baby in public...
Ah. There it is. Yeah, it doesn't bother me one iota to see a woman breastfeeding in public. All that bothers me is the silly cliches people use to defend it, the attitude of complete inconsideration of others, and the idea that there is nothing one can do to prevent it much of the time. People kidding themselves and trying to kid others. That's what bothers me.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 27,288 times
Quote:
Breastfeeding in public is not a big deal. If you think it is then go change the law to make it illegal. Otherwise babies need to eat and some people need to get over it.

FYI, I went out this afternoon to shop for groceries. My baby cried in hunger. Rather than disturb the store with her cries, I found a quiet corner of the store with a bench and nursed her. A passerby may have gotten a glimpse of breast here and there. Somehow the world did not come to end nor did the country suddenly become a less civilized place. Both my stress level and that of my baby were greatly reduced by the act of feeding her.
You should probably re-read my post because clearly you did not understand my point. I never said it was a big deal to me, but not everybody thinks or believes as I do or even as you do. And I can say that I fed my kid in Wal Mart once but never again did I try that, and it wasn't just to be considerate of others but he seemed so distracted that he didn't eat and then cried later because he hadn't ate enough. And not only that, but it threw off his feeding schedule. Do what you want, but either way, it takes more than just me to illegalize something even though that would be quite ridiculous to make breastfeeding illegal. What nut job would do that?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
How did you- How could you-

Nevermind.

Hmm, waiting for you to start making sense...

Ah. There it is. Yeah, it doesn't bother me one iota to see a woman breastfeeding in public. All that bothers me is the silly cliches people use to defend it, the attitude of complete inconsideration of others, and the idea that there is nothing one can do to prevent it much of the time. People kidding themselves and trying to kid others. That's what bothers me.
There's nothing inconsiderate about breastfeeding in public. As a nursing mother I have no responsibility to anyone but my baby. I have certainly no reason to avoid doing so solely because it irrationally makes you uncomfortable.

If you feel otherwise go get the law change. Otherwise I shall nurse in public where and when I please. And you shall simply have to get over it.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you're opposed to animals feeding their young in public, too?
That was a sarcastic response to a poster - which post was inbedded as a quote within my response (I gather you only read the response and not the post I was responding to), who thinks because she can produce milk she has some "super power", something every woman is capable of. She also made claims that I made certain statements and I asked her to provide a copy of the posts to support her claims, which she did not because she could not. Seems the sarcasm was lost on you as well or you are struggling for an argument. FYI, I never said I was opposed to women breastfeeding in public.

I don't believe that mothers should be confined to their homes because they are breastfeeding (A NATURAL ACT OF NATURE), or go hide somewhere out of sight in public to feed their child. A nursing mother's life doesn't need to stop because she is nursing. I also understand that there is more to deal with having to do so outside - noise, distraction, possibly another child to deal with, bags, etc., - as opposed to being in the comfort of the home.

I also get that things happen in public that are not intentional or are unavoidable that may occur which would cause "attention" or a "look". There are sloppy breast feeders and then there are those who are discreet outside, whereas in the confines of their home discretion isn't an issue, and those women are the majority. It's the minority of sloppy breast feeders that feel the need to let everyone around them know that its feeding time - and those women do exist.

You refer to breast feeding "laws", and I believe you told a poster to obey the law and look away. If that wasn't you, then I'm sure if there is such a law you are aware of it. I wasn't aware that there were "laws" about something so natural as breastfeeding and "looking". Would that mean there is a possibility that someone could be arrested or fined because they happened to turn their head in the wrong direction and their eyes, for a nanosecond, passed over a mother breastfeeding? Are there really that many people who stop and stare, or turn their chair around, in order to see a woman breastfeed?

Last edited by softblueyz; 12-31-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
I will not judge mothers for breastfeeding in public. I did breastfeed both of our daughters and I was so modest that I had no desire to do so in public. I'm not shy, by far and no way did I ever do so except in my comfort zone at home.

To each, her own~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies