Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Obviously, I did.
Obviously, you didn't.

So you're reading into what his post was about. NO WHERE does it say anyone was breastfeeding in people's faces. A group of women come into a store and sat down for a protest (very peacefully and respectfully I might add) to show Target that breastfeeding is not something to be ashamed of or relegated to the dirty bathroom. NO where did they go around flashing their boobs at people or pushing their boobs into people's faces. They were peacefully, respectfully protesting the treatment of one woman (and there are lots of women treated like this) in their stores... and at the same time they were discreetly breastfeeding their children.

Try googling the protest before making claims of what they were or were not doing during the protest!
Breastfeeding moms stage "nurse-in" protests at Target stores - HealthPop - CBS News

Breastfeeding moms protest at Target stores, but US public is real mark - CSMonitor.com
"the largely convivial nurse-ins raised few eyebrows, as many women used blankets to cover their bare breasts and their nursing babies' heads"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, but as you said, "baby doesn't care". We as adults don't eat there because of our own adult sensibilities, which we establish as we go along. There's really nothing wrong with it, except it isn't "dignified" to do.

Would I eat in a public restroom? No. But I wouldn't eat from my mother's breast in any case. Why are we letting babies do it, hmmmmm?

Yeah, but you'll notice, no one gave me a good reason why a baby can't do it. I say that puts us BACK IN THE GAME! ...until someone else calls somebody "stupid"
Good lord! Do you have ANY clue how dirty a public restroom is?

Public Toilet Bacteria (http://www.science20.com/curious_cub/public_toilet_bacteria-84983 - broken link)

Public bathrooms are filled with various types of bacteria - Los Angeles Times

PressTV - Public bathroom bacteria identified

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Its the organized demonstration part. It reminds me of finger-wagging Bible thumpers.
So when a certain segment of the population are not being treated well, trying to segregate them to dirty conditions, and looking down on them... it's not ok for that segment of the population to rise up and protest it?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Its the organized demonstration part. It reminds me of finger-wagging Bible thumpers.
You're really comparing women feeding babies in public to hyper-religious nuts?

Quote:
More like a whiny kid screaming in the mall because she's not getting the attention she thinks she deserves.
Uh believe me as an actual nursing mother I really don't want any attention. I just want you to stop whining and leave me alone if the baby accidentally pulls off the blanket and you get a flash of my breast. I want you to obey the law, look away when I'm nursing and not tell me to go to the smelly bathroom as I help you save money on health care costs.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good lord! Do you have ANY clue how dirty a public restroom is?

Public Toilet Bacteria (http://www.science20.com/curious_cub/public_toilet_bacteria-84983 - broken link)

Public bathrooms are filled with various types of bacteria - Los Angeles Times

PressTV - Public bathroom bacteria identified
Can't rep you again for this! That's exactly what I always thought... gross!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Why would anyone want to go into a restroom for anything other than it intended purpose?? Breastfeeding is NOT one of those purposes! I don't like going into most public restrooms to pee, I HATED having to take my kids in there for them to pee... yuck! Most public restrooms are disgusting! And they are not comfortable at all to try and find a place to sit in to breastfeed.

And as far as distractions go, there's nothing worse on mother and baby than mom being uncomfortable about her surroundings.. and being in an icky, place with no comfortable seats is my definition of uncomfrotable surroundings.
Hmm, ok, well that's better anyway. Anyone else wanna weigh in on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Babies would do a lot of things which aren't 'dignified' if left to their own sensibilities that would **** off a lot of non-parents. **** themselves. Cry in public. Throw up in public. Are you advocating that babies should be left to their own sensibilities in these areas and eating on the toilet?
No, but I am looking for consistency here. "Would YOU want to eat in the restroom..." is a poor argument, because babies do not have a preference since they don't share our prejudice against public restrooms.

Katiana's got the right idea (safety first!). But I glanced at the articles in the links she posted, and I can't find a mention of airborne bacteria. That would make this argument all the more powerful.

Quote:
How about all the germs of being in a public restroom? It has nothing to do with it being "undignified", it's disgusting! And uncomfortable for the mother to try and find someplace to sit. Most public restrooms don't have nice comfy couches.
If we're going to consider germs, let's! You make your case against feeding in a public restroom for sure, while making the case for trying real hard to breastfeed AT HOME in the process. After all, you're going to find more germs - particularly those your baby isn't used to - outside the home (with the exception of outside altogether, MAYBE) than inside.

The comfort thing is a half-point at best. I mean, look at it, you got women sitting on the floor in Target (rather than in a dressing room which at least has SOME kind of seating) or in those hard booths at McDonald's. What's more, how many public places offer you a more comfortable seat than your own car, or... home?

I know your point was that restrooms or worse than in the store itself, but mine is that the home or car is superior to both.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
No, but I am looking for consistency here. "Would YOU want to eat in the restroom..." is a poor argument, because babies do not have a preference since they don't share our prejudice against public restrooms.

Katiana's got the right idea (safety first!). But I glanced at the articles in the links she posted, and I can't find a mention of airborne bacteria. That would make this argument all the more powerful.
There is consistency. Parents do what they believe is best for their children. Few will think that eating on the crapper is what is best.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
How about all the germs of being in a public restroom? It has nothing to do with it being "undignified", it's disgusting! And uncomfortable for the mother to try and find someplace to sit. Most public restrooms don't have nice comfy couches.
I don't know why you all have such a problem with a mother nursing her infant in a public restroom stall - after all, not only do you get a nice, clean place with no distractions, you also get reading material: "For a good time, call ......"

I've seen some pretty disgusting eating habits of adults who are eating in public: chewing with their mouths open, smacking their lips, talking with a mouthful of food, etc. I'd much rather sit next to a woman quietly nursing her baby in a restaurant or food court or anywhere than to sit next to some of the pigs I've seen eating in public.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The comfort thing is a half-point at best. I mean, look at it, you got women sitting on the floor in Target (rather than in a dressing room which at least has SOME kind of seating) or in those hard booths at McDonald's. What's more, how many public places offer you a more comfortable seat than your own car, or... home?

I know your point was that restrooms or worse than in the store itself, but mine is that the home or car is superior to both.
The car is extremely uncomforatable to try to breast feed. Depending on the car, of course, and how big the child is, how big the mother is... etc... but generally it's not easy to breast feed in the car. I've tried it and I've gotten very frustrated with the limited amount of room there is.

The dressing room is also uncomfortable because those little benches are not meant to sit on for longer than putting on your shoes!

I'm not trying to say that breastfeeding in public is the BEST place, but you can't always be in the BEST place at all times! I know that you think it's all about time management... and if you and your wife could do that with your one child, that's great! But most people find themselves in situations that you can't always plan for... and really, honestly, I never tried too hard to make sure my child was fed before leaving the house, because I could always breastfeed if they needed it. That's the nice thing about breastfeeding, you don't HAVE to plan everything out around it! And a mother shouldn't be forced to try to.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
IF we found ourself in a store/mall when the kids were of that age we went to the fitting room to have them fed or changed.
Which is what any intelligent, woman with dignity and respect for others would do. While it is part of nature, some things should remain private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies