Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, she should not let her baby starve, she should put its needs above her own and either choose a discrete location or stay at home!
Why should a mother stay at home other than because you want them to?
100% honest question.
Adults don't have to stay home. It is in no way unacceptable for them to stuff their face full of dead animal in public. Why is an infant not afforded the same luxury? An adult is much more able to wait to eat than an infant is, yet there are huge industries devoted to slaughtering animals in order to feed adults who aren't capable of timing their eating to coincide with being in a discrete location. In the Target closest to where I live there is both a Starbucks and a snackbar which sell food. What's the difference between an infant and an adult eating?

I don't actually expect you to answer these direct questions, but I pose them that others may see the faults in your argument.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post/offtopic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
But there is a difference between doing it discreetly and doing it to prove a point while in the middle of the food court.
From a practical perspective: No. Baby doesn't care either way.

Within the confines of our society: Absolutely. Some people mind.

To what degree to you let some people's discomfort override a mother's duty to feed her child in the way nature (or God, if that suits you) intended?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
This thread is awfully confusing. What is it, exactly, that people are objecting to?

1) Any breastfeeding in public?

2) The fact that the Target employee was a little terse?

3) The fact that this mom sat on the floor in the middle of the store?

4) Breeders?

5) Any breastfeeding in public?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Zimbochick, 1 but not 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
From a practical perspective: No. Baby doesn't care either way.
Yeah, but couldn't we say the same about feeding your baby in a public restroom stall? I mean, it doesn't bother or harm the baby (just- just- just, no it doesn't!) and if we were to be honest about it, the baby might eat better with fewer distractions - both visual and auditory.

Plus, the whole bonding thing there...

Are you SURE you don't want me to leave, vamos?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
But there is a difference between doing it discreetly and doing it to prove a point while in the middle of the food court.
Either way it's feeding a baby. Some people need to stop finding that annoying.

Breast milk is an amazing resource. The last thing we need to do is make it harder for women to use it.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yeah, but couldn't we say the same about feeding your baby in a public restroom stall? I mean, it doesn't bother or harm the baby (just- just- just, no it doesn't!) and if we were to be honest about it, the baby might eat better with fewer distractions - both visual and auditory.

Don't be silly.

Do you eat in public restrooms with people pooping, farting, and peeing next to you?

I sure don't. I must admit that in my somewhat lengthy life on various continents and in various countries, I have not seen a single person sitting down for dinner or lunch inside a public restroom. Is Texas really THAT different?

And no, I quite like your participation.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Zimbochick, 1 but not 5.

Next time you are at the mall food court, take your tray into the bathroom, and tell us how much you enjoy eating your meal there!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Zimbochick, 1 but not 5.

Add my voice to the choir. Go eat in a public restroom next time you're out. Preferably a gas station RR.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:52 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Add my voice to the choir. Go eat in a public restroom next time you're out. Preferably a gas station RR.
Count me in on that one!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Either way it's feeding a baby. Some people need to stop finding that annoying.

Breast milk is an amazing resource. The last thing we need to do is make it harder for women to use it.
Its not the feeding. Its the in-your-face self-righteous ego-inflating demonstration that's totally boorish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies