Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

People who can't tell the difference between someone pooping and someone eating should never leave the house. Babies eat. Get over it, people. If anything you should be more repulsed by the sight of someone formula feeding as that can lead to all kinds of long term physical problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I don't have an issue with breastfeeding.

*** However ***

Sorry, but this is a load of manure. So now we're supposed to think that breastfeeding is an emergency which requires immediate baring of breasts? I don't think anyone believes that a breastfeeding mom will have her child within seconds of breast attachment, for the entire duration of breastfeeding. Does the baby have to wait when mom's taking a shower? Yes. Does the baby have to eat a bottle when dad is watching it for the evening? Yes. Does the baby fuss and cry when mom doesn't wake up right away at 3AM, or when dad goes in and tries to placate it so mom can get a few hours of sleep? Yes.

So, although I have no problem with breastfeeding in public (and let's face it, most women who do or would do it, at least attempt some discretion), the statement "babies shouldn't have to wait" is one of those statements that drive formerly tolerant people like me to the point of sheer annoyance. Some moms have gone completely out of control, using For The Good Of The Children™ as an excuse for everything from emergency breastfeeding, to getting front row parking, or pretty much any other thing that comes at the expense or inconvenience of the inferior class (pretty much anyone without young kids).

I expect that, somewhere between discreet breastfeeding, and "emergency breastfeeding", the answer lies.

Source for above quote: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...demonstration/
". . . baring of breasts"???? Have you ever watched anyone breast feed? I don't think so! Most nursing moms wear clothing that allows them to feed discreetly; you see less than you do at the average public swimming pool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
This I can relate with. That's why I said if nothing else, your car is preferable to in the middle of a store or restaurant. But - what is especially true of breastfeeding moms, because they can more easily feed a baby til full instead of the end of some measurement in a bottle - if you feed your child until he/she is full, those times you have to feed them in another hour should most definitely be the exception, not the rule.
A few more years when my son's eating solids, then I'll understand breastfeeding better? There are certainly exceptions to the rule, vamos, I'm not denying that. But this whole thread is more aimed at women who go shopping with a baby who's about to be hungry. No one in their right mind's going to judge a mother breastfeeding her child on a plane because A) plane rides take just that long, and B) it's a fairly private setting anyway. Same with buses and trains. But to mildly suggest this as a question of courtesy and not morals (which I never made it out to be), if you CAN keep from having to breastfeed in front of people, why not do it?
Not necessarily.

No one said this is about women who go shopping when the baby is hungry except you. This is about babies needing to eat when one is out shopping.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No one said this is about women who go shopping when the baby is hungry except you. This is about babies needing to eat when one is out shopping.
On this, we'll probably never agree. I don't see an infant's hunger as being so sporadic that no one can make plans around it. Practically every woman in my town seems to have it down well enough, because they don't go breastfeeding at random locations (and yes, I would know).

Two parents who believe in planning things out, just happen to have one of these supposedly rare "easy" children that doesn't have to eat every hour, a coincidence? I doubt it.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Completely naked?!?! Breastfeeding in public is not even close to being shirtless, let alone completely naked.
So what level or standard DO you use in your judgmental determination of just who is sexually repressed.
Exposing one tit?

Two?

Butt cracks?

Some people think bare feet are erotic....if people aren't allowed in restaurants or stores without shoes are shoe wearing people sexually repressed???

No, your statements made it clear that you think anyone who doesn't approve of public nudity is sexually repressed.

My belief is that a woman who has to bare her breasts in public for any reason has an "issue".

No problem with women who stay covered and breast feed discreetly...

Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Sorry, but this is a load of manure. So now we're supposed to think that breastfeeding is an emergency which requires immediate baring of breasts? I don't think anyone believes that a breastfeeding mom will have her child within seconds of breast attachment, for the entire duration of breastfeeding. Does the baby have to wait when mom's taking a shower? Yes. Does the baby have to eat a bottle when dad is watching it for the evening? Yes. Does the baby fuss and cry when mom doesn't wake up right away at 3AM, or when dad goes in and tries to placate it so mom can get a few hours of sleep? Yes.
Emergency?? I don't think anyone was implying it was an "emergency"... but how long do you wait to eat when you're hungry? I usually find something to eat as soon as I can. But I'm also an adult and can decide for myself how long I can wait. Most babies/toddlers don't have that ability just yet. Can they wait? Sure, although there are some parents that don't believe in letting their child cry for any reason (I don't agree with that parenting extreme, but that's their right), it really doesn't hurt the child to wait if necessary.... but what is "neccessary"? If my child is hungry and my boobs are readily available (as they always were when I was breastfeeding), then why should a child HAVE to wait? They CAN, but why should they?

The examples you provided are good reason for they they should wait (well all except the night time feedings... but that's a whole nother discussion... I never woke up for a 3am feeding and neither did my husband), but being in a store/restaurant does not provide for a good reason why they should wait. Not when their food is readily available to them. And I've been there with a baby who wanted to eat NOW and was NOT going to wait for me to be in a convenient spot. LOL! THAT's when I've had trouble trying to keep from baring all to see! LOL!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So what level or standard DO you use in your judgmental determination of just who is sexually repressed.

No, your statements made it clear that you think anyone who doesn't approve of public nudity is sexually repressed.

My belief is that a woman who has to bare her breasts in public for any reason has an "issue".

Actually, my statement said that anyone who had a problem with breastfeeding probably were sexually repressed... you're the one who brought public nudity into the discussion, and only you. No one else in the article or in this thread has said anything about being completely or partially naked.

And that's the last I'll respond to your wackoness. K Thx Buhbye!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Actually, my statement said that anyone who had a problem with breastfeeding probably were sexually repressed... you're the one who brought public nudity into the discussion, and only you. No one else in the article or in this thread has said anything about being completely or partially naked.

And that's the last I'll respond to your wackoness. K Thx Buhbye!
Yup, when ya can't defend calling people sexually repressed because they expect decency and consideration in public from others...it's best to run....

Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Exposing one tit?

Two?

Butt cracks?

Some people think bare feet are erotic....if people aren't allowed in restaurants or stores without shoes are shoe wearing people sexually repressed???

My belief is that if you see me breastfeeding my baby in public you should put your eyes elsewhere. Sometimes the baby pulls at my breast or tugs at the blanket. You need to get over it and mind your own business. If it bothers you that should never be my problem.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
On this, we'll probably never agree. I don't see an infant's hunger as being so sporadic that no one can make plans around it. Practically every woman in my town seems to have it down well enough, because they don't go breastfeeding at random locations (and yes, I would know).

Two parents who believe in planning things out, just happen to have one of these supposedly rare "easy" children that doesn't have to eat every hour, a coincidence? I doubt it.
You have familiarized yourself with the breastfeeding schedules of every woman in your town? Are you a voyeur? You would NOT necessarily know if someone was breastfeeding at "random locations". You can look up pictures of infants breastfeeding on the web; in many cases it's hard to tell what is going on. To get graphic, the babies mouth covers the nipple, his/her head covers the lower breast, the most that's exposed is the upper breast, which, as I said, you might see on someone wearing a bikini! The mom can usually pull her shirt down over the upper breast as well.

Your arrognace at childrearing is incredible, just incredible.

Quote:
Exposing one tit?

Two?

Butt cracks?

See above about "baring breasts". It's hard to do when breastfeeding, even if you try to!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
A few more years when my son's eating solids, then I'll understand breastfeeding better?
I don't know if you will. You most certainly will understand that appetite can vary, though.

Quote:
...if you CAN keep from having to breastfeed in front of people, why not do it?
To which some people would say: Why would you? What's so disgusting or disturbing about an infant eating? What mental demons are you battling that you see this as something bad? Something that needs to be done in a some back alley, a dirty, smelly bathroom, or in a "designated" area, our of sight? The natural acts that we relegate to such places tend to be "dirty" - such as peeing or pooping. Why is breastfeeding an equivalent of these bodily functions?

Obviously, we are not talking about some "extremist" who feels that she needs to flop her boobs all over the food court in order to make a point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies