Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM

779 posts, read 537,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This thread is interesting. It's really brought out some fascinating psychological traits in some of our posters.

What I'm seeing from most of the folks who think that the father did something wrong is an obvious fear of guns. Just the mere sight of one - even on an Internet video - intimidates them. These people can't grasp the concept that a gun is nothing more than a tool, and have humanized the tool in their minds as something evil and to be feared. Because the father used a gun, they see what he did as a threat to the daughter's life. Had he used a hammer, or as another poster said many pages back, if he'd thrown the laptop into a swimming pool, their impression of the father would be completely different and not that of a man who was a dangerous menace to his daughter and the rest of society.

Then there are the self proclaimed "experts," who have the exact same problem. Truly fascinating.

And, of course, we have the omnipresent feel-gooders, who think that the daughter didn't even do anything wrong and that it's their job to "educate" everybody that thinks differently from them. This group is a subset of the first group. They're a lost cause, and are the reason that ours is the entitlement society that it is today.

Regardless of what you think about the event, it's been investigated by both the local police and social service agencies, and nothing has come of those investigations. Maybe you think this is a dangerous man, simply because of the tool he used to convey a message about responsibility and respect, but the authorities disagree, and it's their opinions that matter.
Yes, it does bring out interesting psychological traits. For instance, it causes some posters to believe that they are omniscient and then post lengthy screeds filled with hyperbole to try to "prove" how "above" everybody else they are. Which indicates a superiority complex based upon nothing more their personal interpretation of the situation. The ironic part is that they don't (or won't) grasp that they are doing exactly what they are condemning others for... But hey, they are probably lost causes anyway -- right?

P.S. It wouldn't have mattered to me if he had used a gun or his foot or a rock to destroy it -- the point is daddy is a hypocrite because he is claiming to be trying to teach his daughter that outbursts of anger (especially in public) are not OK. But hey, if compartmentalizing people makes it easier for you to behave as if people who disagree with you are sub-human, go for it.

Last edited by Just a Bill; 02-14-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
At first I thought maybe he was nuts, until I watched the entire video and now I'm convinced it is pure genius. I applaud him as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
You're a 10-66 to me too Chuck.
Darn, and I thought he would be a 10-67

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
I don't know about him, but I got mine beat a lot. My old man never pulled out one of his handguns in a fit of rage to do something like that. That makes me wonder what else Dad will do or has done with that 1911. I did hear him say "your step mom". Ok, so he's now admitted to being divorced from her mother. Was he abusive with her too? I am beginning to wonder. For the record, I shot 300 rounds out of one of my 1911s last night. I KNOW when it's empty. The slide locks back. Picking up a gun when I'm p*ssed off is the last thing I'm doing. Dad should take note.
When you think about it, it's probably their culture. Guns, hunting, outdoors ect. I'm sure the girl shoots as well. I think the old man sent a very clear message that needed to be sent.

Doesn't matter if it was a hammer or an axe or a handgun. Destroyed is destroyed and the handgun makes better cinematics.

He is a father who cares enough and has the guts to take a big stand against his rebellious 16 year old. They can be a nightmare, I know I had 3 of them--one was a girl.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're proving me right, every time you post.

You're making an assumption about how the girl feels, based on your own fear of an inanimate object. You know nothing about this family other than you've seen online in the last few days. How could you possibly know what the girl is thinking?

We talked with our 18 & 16 year old boys about this, and asked them specifically if they thought that the father had done anything wrong, or if they would be fearful of us (my girl shoots, too) if we had done the same thing. They both agreed that it sucked that the girl lost her laptop, but she shouldn't have done what she did, and she did deserve to lose it. Neither of them saw the "how" of her losing her laptop as a threatening action, just as any sane person that doesn't have an unfounded fear of guns would.
No, you dig yourself in deeper every time you post. But by all means keep going....it's great entertainment.

Inanimate object? Seriously? Did you really, honest-to-god, post that on a public forum with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously?

Stands to reason that a person who has already gotten in digs at others' parenting skills would think his own family relationships are the standard of excellence. You don't have a clue what your teenagers really think.

You're right about one thing, though. This thread is revealing psychologically. Those who applaud this nutcase don't understand the difference between a Robert De Niro movie and real life.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Darn, and I thought he would be a 10-67
Citizen calling for help? Nah, I put the Alpha Bravo Charlie in Chuck's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I always try to be nice to Chuck. He is never nice to me. I could make him jealous and offend him in my sleep! Whatever man!

Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, you dig yourself in deeper every time you post. But by all means keep going....it's great entertainment.

Inanimate object? Seriously? Did you really, honest-to-god, post that on a public forum with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously?

Stands to reason that a person who has already gotten in digs at others' parenting skills would think his own family relationships are the standard of excellence. You don't have a clue what your teenagers really think.

You're right about one thing, though. This thread is revealing psychologically. Those who applaud this nutcase don't understand the difference between a Robert De Niro movie and real life.
To quote the villain from Die hard, "I think you've seen too many John Wayne films" These guys treat guns like toys. I don't go walking around waving a butcher knife in front of kids, not even in a joking fashion. Why would a gun be any different. Oh, I guess that means I fear guns and butcher knives.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
To quote the villain from Die hard, "I think you've seen too many John Wayne films" These guys treat guns like toys. I don't go walking around waving a butcher knife in front of kids, not even in a joking fashion. Why would a gun be any different. Oh, I guess that means I fear guns and butcher knives.
The emotion of fear serves a very useful purpose in our savage world and has made a life-or-death difference for countless living beings.

Only a fool wouldn't fear the combo of a deadly weapon in the hands of an angry person out to show you who's boss. And that combo is the world's least "inanimate" object.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The point being this guy is lucky he wasn't arrested. I doubt he's off the radar even if he wasn't. You don't do something like that. You just don't! There's nothing wrong with the Dad carrying that gun in front of his daughter or other kids. The turning point was drawing it from the holster and firing it in an effort to discipline his daughter and her friends. You can be arrested for that you know. Why he wasn't is beyond me. At the very least had his license to carry suspended...if he even had one to start with. I personally don't think so. No one with a valid one would have been so retarded and careless with it.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Also for the record, I've never seen anyone who owned and fired their own weapons who "don't talk about it" or "don't like to". It's not bragging. It's calling BS! Try again folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies