Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,216,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Marriage is a descriptive word that God has used and made known to describe a man and woman who joins as one . It is not a term to use as two women or two men.

I ask why do the gays want to use this term of the Bible=Marriage, and yet do not follow what God has to say in the Bible about marriage being only between one man and one woman? The gays want to tread down the descriptive word of God to blaspheme and disrespect God.
This is one of my main problems. If you are an atheist, why do you want to participate in something that is, overwhelmingly, seen as a religious ceremony? To argue that marriage is not religious is preposterous. The vows themselves are steeped in religion.

If I were not religious, why would I want to partake in something that is so religious? Going back to the caveman days to say that marriage was not originally a religious ceremony doesn't cut it.

This issue is very similar to the "Christmas" thing for me. Folks are religious and/or want to participate in religious celebrations when it suits them. Then the very next day, they're back to cursing religion (Christianity especially).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
So no one used the term marriage before the bible was made u.....erm i mean written?
Can you provide anything credible that shows something contrary?

For those who believe in God/Abrahamic religion, life began with Adam and Eve and their union was the first marriage.

If you are an atheist/of another faith, what "first marriage" can you show to shed light on its original meaning?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
They are wrong and are not following the True Word of God.
I agree 100%.

"Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves." Matthew 7:15

Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,189,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This is one of my main problems. If you are an atheist, why do you want to participate in something that is, overwhelmingly, seen as a religious ceremony? To argue that marriage is not religious is preposterous. The vows themselves are steeped in religion.

If I were not religious, why would I want to partake in something that is so religious? Going back to the caveman days to say that marriage was not originally a religious ceremony doesn't cut it.

This issue is very similar to the "Christmas" thing for me. Folks are religious and/or want to participate in religious celebrations when it suits them. Then the very next day, they're back to cursing religion (Christianity especially).
Quote:
They are wrong and are not following the True Word of God.
Quote:
Marriage is a descriptive word that God has used and made known to describe a man and woman who joins as one . It is not a term to use as two women or two men.

I ask why do the gays want to use this term of the Bible=Marriage, and yet do not follow what God has to say in the Bible about marriage being only between one man and one woman? The gays want to tread down the descriptive word of God to blaspheme and disrespect God.
Considering that America is not a theocracy, your version of God has absolutely no bearing on laws. Your religious texts mean doodly-squat in regards to the secular texts of this country.

Religion has no reason to be intertwined with secular law. End of story.

4ND TH4TS TH3 W4Y 1T SHOULD B3.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Can you provide anything credible that shows something contrary?

For those who believe in God/Abrahamic religion, life began with Adam and Eve and their union was the first marriage.

If you are an atheist/of another faith, what "first marriage" can you show to shed light on its original meaning?
Well considering culture has had marriage back since recorded memory i pretty much don't have to waste time proving people got married before christianity rolled around now do i?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Considering that America is not a theocracy, your version of God has absolutely no bearing on laws. Your religious texts mean doodly-squat in regards to the secular texts of this country.

Religion has no bearing on law. End of story.

4ND TH4TS TH3 W4Y 1T SHOULD B3.
So in other words, you have no credible and reasonable counter argument other than: "If you can do it, we can do it"? Gotcha.

While religion should have no bearing on the law, it does...hence the whole gay marriage issue. And like it or not, marriage is a religious ceremony.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,057,309 times
Quote:

Terms evolve.

Just like marriage evolved for christian use (seriously, even the term didn't belong to Christianity, it just got evolved for use in the bible), it can evolve for the original, more social/governmental use.

Marriage has never been solely religious, and it never will be.

REligious people need to get over this.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

You happen to believe it religious of which not everyone does. Most people view the religious aspect as a part of it but not the driving reasoning before it. Marriage itself is a civil act, that you happen to incorporate religious traditions into has no bearing on that fact.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well considering culture has had marriage back since recorded memory i pretty much don't have to waste time proving people got married before christianity rolled around now do i?
So.......you have no proof? Gotcha

BTW, if it's "recorded", you should be able to find something, shouldn't you?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
So in other words, you have no credible and reasonable counter argument other than: "If you can do it, we can do it"? Gotcha.

While religion should have no bearing on the law, it does...hence the whole gay marriage issue. And like it or not, marriage is a religious ceremony.
Like it or not, no it's not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies