Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I don't think I ever said they did. But they do have the same opinion of most log cabin Republicans.

No. Log Cabin Republicans have marriage equality as a tenant of their platform.

New York Marriage Vote a Triumph For Individual Liberty - - Log Cabin Republicans -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,183,739 times
Quote:
People, when they get a civil union, they are officially married, but in most churches they don't even recognize a civil union as marriage.
And the government doesn't recognize a religious marriage. A religious authority has to be given permission by their appropriate state in order to sign a religious marriage into legal status.

Quote:
1)What do you think they did before they had marriage certificates? Or States for that matter? I suggest you look up the history of marriage.
For which culture? Each culture has a different history when it comes to marriage.

However, there is a common theme in which most institutions of marriage originated as business arrangements.

Quote:
2)And what a good debate you've presented.
I do particularly enjoy correcting people when they are flat out wrong.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM

779 posts, read 538,129 times
Quote:
Your right, marriage is not just a Christian institution, but it is, and always has been, a religious one.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Your'e just making it up as you go along. It's soooo obvious.

Anyway, in another 10-20 years, this conversation won't matter, because you will have lost.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,214,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Can you explain to me why, you deserve to own the word marriage and apply it only to Christians? Never in US history has marriage been a Christian institution. Why do you get to define it for the rest of humanity?
To answer this, you'd first have to tell me where I claim ownership over anything. You'd also have to point out where I've said marriage is for Christians only. Can you do that?

I told you what I believe. You believe something different. Not sure why your beliefs trump my own.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,214,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
That is a pretty ridiculous statement... what about all the marriages performed by judges, mayors, captains, etc? There is no religious connection to those ceremonies at all. You've always had the ability to choose one or the other. Gay people are not asking for churches to marry them... they are asking for their civil unions to be given the same governmental acknowledgement and benefits as a union between heterosexuals.
Actually, some are.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Actually, some are.
And some christian churches do marry them, as they don't believe that homosexuality is against christanity.

Different demonination, different interpretations.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM

33,592 posts, read 18,211,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What was rubbish about how I see your position? What specifically do you take issue with in my characterization?

I don't understand how somebody can be for gay civil unions but against gay civil marriage. They are the same frickin thing. The law is the law is the law NO MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED. The law is the same no matter if it's titled "marriage", "union", "partnership", or "lskjasdljf".

Why are you okay with gays having access to a law titled "Civil Union" but not having access to an identical law instead titled "Civil Marriage"? Why do you feel the government should reserve the word "Marriage" within the law especially for heterosexuals? Isn't the law suppose to treat all equally? Isn't the laws suppose to be blind?

The answer is clear - because of your religious beliefs. You want the civil law to be a reflection of your particular religious beliefs. I don't share your religious beliefs and your religious traditions. Why should my civil marriage, and our civil law in general, be defined by your religious beliefs?
Marriage is a descriptive word that God has used and made known to describe a man and woman who joins as one . It is not a term to use as two women or two men.

I ask why do the gays want to use this term of the Bible=Marriage, and yet do not follow what God has to say in the Bible about marriage being only between one man and one woman? The gays want to tread down the descriptive word of God to blaspheme and disrespect God.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Marriage is a descriptive word that God has used and made known to describe a man and woman who joins as one . It is not a term to use as two women or two men.

I ask why do the gays want to use this term of the Bible=Marriage, and yet do not follow what God has to say in the Bible about marriage being only between one man and one woman? The gays want to tread down the descriptive word of God to blaspheme and disrespect God.
So no one used the term marriage before the bible was made u.....erm i mean written?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM

33,592 posts, read 18,211,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
And some christian churches do marry them, as they don't believe that homosexuality is against christanity.

Different demonination, different interpretations.
They are wrong and are not following the True Word of God.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They are wrong and are not following the True Word of God.
And you happen to have chatted with him and know what his word might be then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies