Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or pro-death?
Pro-life 70 44.30%
Pro-death 66 41.77%
No opinion 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So...poor people shouldn't be allowed to have sex?
They should choose to not have sex if they are not prepared to raise a child. A lot of these unplanned pregnancies are the result of people having sex outside of marriage. Acceptance of abortion is a byproduct of erosion of the family unit. People think of sexual relations as "recreational" and as one poster said - they don't think about the consequences. Then the lady gets pregnant - the man(or boy!) runs in the opposite direction and the lady is left to face a frightening future by herself. I can understand that this fear may lead her to choose abortion as a way to end what now must seem like a nightmare.

The whole predicament however is the end result of a set of decisons informed by a society that is breaking down. We have lost our moral guardrails. Sexual immorality has become acceptable. Children become pregnant and instead of this raising alarms about what has broken down in the family that causes this - it is written off as "kids are going to do that anyway - lets just throw them condoms and hope for the best". This is the wrong approach - it has proven to be a failed strategy. Every baby that is "aborted" is a tragedy that society as a whole has created. To end the tragedy of abortions we need to rebuild our moral guardrails, teach children that marriage and family are sacred, that sex is not a "play activity" and we need a return to people owning their decisions and being accountable for them.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, not taxpayers. You offer to pay for a few hundred out of your own pocket. After all, you said it was worth doing.
It most certainly is, and the beauty of an idea is that it can be funded by someone other than the originator. Now, do you have any reasons why this idea is a bad one? Or are you just all attitude like half of the people posting here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I didn't state an opinion.
Of course you did. It is your opinion that mine isn't worth considering because I personally cannot pay for hundreds of women to have ultrasounds before getting their abortions (which, needless to say, doesn't add up at all!)

And how, pray tell, did I fail to back up my opinion? By not having money?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
To end the tragedy of abortions we need to rebuild our moral guardrails, teach children that marriage and family are sacred, that sex is not a "play activity" and we need a return to people owning their decisions and being accountable for them.
Ain't gonna happen.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
They should choose to not have sex if they are not prepared to raise a child.
Or at least, if they know they're open to the idea of abortion, they should do even more to ensure they don't get pregnant. Regular birth control + Plan B + frequent checks so as to not ever make abortion of a fetus "necessary".

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I am pro life. I am also for programs that help feed and shelter babies after they are born so that they can continue to live. I am also for affordable health care for babies after they are born so they can continue to live. I am also for good schools for children after they are born so they can have a good, productive life after they are born. I am shocked to the core of my being by how many who, like me, are pro life BEFORE birth and anti life after birth.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am pro life. I am also for programs that help feed and shelter babies after they are born so that they can continue to live. I am also for affordable health care for babies after they are born so they can continue to live. I am also for good schools for children after they are born so they can have a good, productive life after they are born. I am shocked to the core of my being by how many who, like me, are pro life BEFORE birth and anti life after birth.
I am consistently anti-life.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well said. I find it disgusting that so many pro-life advocates will fight tooth and nail to allow the baby to be born and then walk away saying it is not their business if the child is hungry, abused, homeless or sick and in need of medical attention. At least you have shown that some Pro-Life advocates give a darn AFTER the child is born.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
They should choose to not have sex if they are not prepared to raise a child. A lot of these unplanned pregnancies are the result of people having sex outside of marriage. Acceptance of abortion is a byproduct of erosion of the family unit. People think of sexual relations as "recreational" and as one poster said - they don't think about the consequences. Then the lady gets pregnant - the man(or boy!) runs in the opposite direction and the lady is left to face a frightening future by herself. I can understand that this fear may lead her to choose abortion as a way to end what now must seem like a nightmare.

The whole predicament however is the end result of a set of decisons informed by a society that is breaking down. We have lost our moral guardrails. Sexual immorality has become acceptable. Children become pregnant and instead of this raising alarms about what has broken down in the family that causes this - it is written off as "kids are going to do that anyway - lets just throw them condoms and hope for the best". This is the wrong approach - it has proven to be a failed strategy. Every baby that is "aborted" is a tragedy that society as a whole has created. To end the tragedy of abortions we need to rebuild our moral guardrails, teach children that marriage and family are sacred, that sex is not a "play activity" and we need a return to people owning their decisions and being accountable for them.
Oh lord, another one who just ignores the history of the entire world and thinks immorality, sex for fun, abortions, unwanted pregnancies and BC started in the 20th century....such ignorance can't be reversed or overcome.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Kill! Kill! Kill!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It most certainly is, and the beauty of an idea is that it can be funded by someone other than the originator. Now, do you have any reasons why this idea is a bad one? Or are you just all attitude like half of the people posting here?

Of course you did. It is your opinion that mine isn't worth considering because I personally cannot pay for hundreds of women to have ultrasounds before getting their abortions (which, needless to say, doesn't add up at all!)

And how, pray tell, did I fail to back up my opinion? By not having money?
As a taxpayer, I refuse for my taxes to pay for you to be able to punish women for having sex you don't approve of. Strictly monetary. If it's so important to you, pay for it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies