Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Did it ever occur to you that Buffett believes -- just as Gates believes, in higher taxes on the wealthy because it's the best thing for the nation?

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I find it backwards that someone pushing $ around should get taxed less than someone who does real work. Both contribute to the economy, 1 actually produces real goods.

The incentive to invest should be sitting on your ass making money and getting taxed at the same rate.
However the money made by the entity who's been invested in gets taxed in the profits before the profits are used to pay off investments, that get's taxed again.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
How is it fair for people to choose between basic neccessities and taxes?

How is it fair for people to be a lazy leech and pay no FIT?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Who cares about your MARGINAL tax bracket. All that matters in a PROGRESSIVE TAX system is the EFFECTIVE tax rate that you pay. You did NOT pay 33% marginal tax on your income if you're smart. You only paid 33% on the LAST dollar you earned, if that.

More class warfare tripe from the very folks that fall for Barack Obama's every quip, every line, and every LIE.
I know. I will calculate my effective tax rate and post that on here. I assure you that it is a good bit higher than Romney's or others like him.

And I ask again: why is it such sacrilege for conservatives to ever question the rich on ANYTHING? It amuses me how conservatives who are far from the level of wealth of those in question are such unfailingly loyal and passionate lackeys for the rich. I never questioned Romney's right to be rich; I questioned the fairness of his personal tax treatment relative to mine.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

But Its just common human decency for those who actually can afford it to contribute more, so that someone else, who cant afford taxes at all, or not without taking food out of their families mouth, doesnt have to make that decision.

How do you decide that? How about people who buy smartphones rather than food for their families? How about people who choose to be lazy and a leech on society rather than feed their families?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I know. I will calculate my effective tax rate and post that on here. I assure you that it is a good bit higher than Romney's or others like him.

And I ask again: why is it such sacrilege for conservatives to ever question the rich on ANYTHING? It amuses me how conservatives who are far from the level of wealth of those in question are such unfailingly loyal and passionate lackeys for the rich. I never questioned Romney's right to be rich; I questioned the fairness of his personal tax treatment relative to mine.
It has nothing to do with being rich or tax fairness. 47% of American's pay ZERO federal income tax. The rich not "paying their fair share" is not an argument that holds one drop of water. Not in the slightest. It's merely a quip that Barack Obama commanded his minions to put forth, as you have done here with complete allegiance.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I suggest if the rich dont like subsidizing the poor, maybe they should raise their salaries, so they can afford to contribute to the tax pool.
But the rich do like subsidizing the poor. That's why they VOLUNTARILY contribute billions of dollars every year to charities.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It has nothing to do with being rich or not. 47% of American's pay ZERO federal income tax. "Paying their fair share" is not an argument that holds one drop of water. It's merely a quip that Barack Obama commanded his minions to put forth, as you have done here with complete allegiance.
I'm all for those 47% paying something. I think everyone with income should pay something, but at the same time I don't think that the tax burden should fall dramatically for the richest. I think the rich should have every right and opportunity to continue to be rich, but I'm not going to roll over and be their nice little lap dog without question when I see something that is blatantly unfair.

Why should exceedingly wealthy hedge fund managers (who are not "job creators", by the way) get such amazingly favorable privileges via carried interest to dramatically reduce their tax bills compared to anyone else, even other investment professionals? And why, when their risky bets F up, do *I* have to bail them out with my own much smaller pile of highly-taxed dollars? It's bull****, and you can't defend it.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

You WANT wealthy people investing their money.
Like Romney - with his off shore accounts?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
Because they are the job makers!
Yeah....and we know how well that's worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies