Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

758 posts, read 591,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Can you get anything right? Is your lack of accuracy deliberate?

Of course, I want everyone to pay taxes, including the rich. I just want to do so in a manner that doesn't cut off our noses to spite our faces. You are more interested in punishing the rich, most likely because of self-imposed failures on your part, than helping America.

The glutton I refer to is the government and the governing class. Is that not obvious to you??

Corporatons are just people collected in a common endeavor (making cars, generating electricity, making or selling stuff).

I have an idea for you to try.

Try to succeed, to prevail, to become a winner, not the perinnial loser.
I'm not all about punishing the rich; I'm in favor of punishing the greedy. I'm in favor of holding them accountable and us not catering to them day in and day out. You and many others seem to think trickle down economics is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you've never heard of the Ass-and-Oats Theory. The most practical solution to all this would be the Edwards Deming Model. Look it up on Wikipedia when you have the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's just preposterous. Nobody ever put a substantial sum away in that manner.

Let's say you bought coffee for $2/day at work. In a year (200 work days) you would save $400. Let's say you invested that in stocks. Stocks have an average return over the 20th century of 6%. In 20 years of doing this, your inflation adjusted capital would be about $9,900. That's hardly a nest egg.
You're forgetting that you are continuing to save over 20 years, so your number doesn't wash. Better to make the typical excuse about how it won't work.

I can guarantee that if you spend that $2 on coffee, you will have ZERO as a nest egg. At the end of the day, I'd rather have almost 10 grand.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have no money and can't get the formal education or training many employers require. Knowing law or accounting (for example) won't get you a job without the right piece of paper employers (and sometimes also government) require.
So don't go into law or accounting. Guess what - I have no money, and except for a year of unaccredited art school almost 30 years ago, I've never gotten formal education or training. I learned on the job or on my own.

I'm so sick of people that have a million reasons for not doing something that everyone else manages to do, but is all to quick to stick that hand in MY pocket for "help".

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
No, they dont. The US has some of the least economic mobility in the civilized world.

Understanding Mobility in America

Almost all of that "movement" you speak of is within 1 income quintile, and the highest predictor of a childs income is their parents income, which speaks for the outright lack of equality of opportunity in this country.

It is a myth, dispite the right wing media soldiering against it. For every one poor kid that makes it to the top 1%, 99 of them dont, and of those 99, well over half can look foward to life as poor adult. In fact, even middle quintile children are more likely to achieve a LOWER income then their parents, then a higher income, but nearly 100% of them end up either in the identical income quintile or within 1 income quintile higher or lower.
If you spend as much effort looking for reasons (excuses) for having failed, so far, you would succeed.

I care not one wit for your agenda-driven studies because they always go out to support an pre-drawn conclusion.

I have real-world experience to draw on, mine and others.

If you can't make it here (USA), you can't make it anywhere, and might as well self-bucket yourself, IMHO.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
1. Very class-consious? Absolute BS. You have nary a clue what you speak of. We don't even has classes, and the economic strata we refer to are dynamic in that people move freeling between them. Poor become rich, rich become poor and every other move, many times in their lives.

2. Rags to Rich myth? Again, UR clueless.

3. ...without getting anywhere,... Obviously you are speaking for yourself only.

I think your views are so jaundiced and out-of-focus as to render them useless.
Exceptions only confirm the rule.

The working poor aren't getting anywhere, and that is the purpose of the system. It is a social Darwinist system fighting the average person (with average capabilities, resources, energy, willpower, etc.) and promoting winning at all cost. That's why US society is a mess...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Let me ask you one very simple question, try to answer it.

If 300 million people in the US right now, got a medical doctors degree, could all 300 million be doctors? Of course not, the DEMAND for doctors will not GO UP simply because the SUPPLY of doctors did. Its not really a hard concept.

The US already has an extreme problem with underemployment, which you seem to not be able to acknowledge.

By the way, for it not being your problem, thats exactly what Marie Anrtoinette said, only I think it was phrased more like "Let them eat cake".
What a ridiculous statement, not deserving of an answer. And just goes to show the depths of excuse-making that people will go to, to justify their own lack of success. Do you realize that all 300 million people couldn't get a degree, because there is a finite number of spots in medical schools? But let's say there was room for everyone. So yes, all 300 million would now be doctors. And the demand would then adjust to being a demand for "good" doctors. You want a good living as a doctor, then be good at that job. Not that hard of a concept.

I agree there is underemployment. Maybe that's because the folks that create jobs are holding tight, what with all this talk of taxing them to death?

And no, it's NOT my problem, that people won't work hard and get ahead by choice.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
If you spend as much effort looking for reasons (excuses) for having failed, so far, you would succeed.

I care not one wit for your agenda-driven studies because they always go out to support an pre-drawn conclusion.

I have real-world experience to draw on, mine and others.

If you can't make it here (USA), you can't make it anywhere, and might as well self-bucket yourself, IMHO.

Nobody cares about your empirical evidence. The right wing is always full of empirical evidence, but amazingly, it never stands up to macro reality.

By the way, if you define "make it" as, moving up an income quintile further then your parents, yeah, youd have a much easier time in almost any other non-third world country.

If you define "make it" as becoming obscenely wealthy, yeah US is probably one of your best bets, since its got one of the best systems designed to filter wealth to the top that has ever been imagined.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Successful people tend to think people like you have no right to a decent life, no matter how much you work. You are not among the overachievers, gee, you are so un-American
Of course they have a right to a decent life, but not on my dime. It's equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
I'm not all about punishing the rich; I'm in favor of punishing the greedy. I'm in favor of holding them accountable and us not catering to them day in and day out. You and many others seem to think trickle down economics is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you've never heard of the Ass-and-Oats Theory. The most practical solution to all this would be the Edwards Deming Model. Look it up on Wikipedia when you have the time.
If you were truly about punishing the greedy, you've be demanding that we defund every govt agency.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What a ridiculous statement, not deserving of an answer. And just goes to show the depths of excuse-making that people will go to, to justify their own lack of success. Do you realize that all 300 million people couldn't get a degree, because there is a finite number of spots in medical schools? But let's say there was room for everyone. So yes, all 300 million would now be doctors. And the demand would then adjust to being a demand for "good" doctors. You want a good living as a doctor, then be good at that job. Not that hard of a concept.
So you admit SOMEBODY has to be the janitor, no matter how hard they try......thanks!

Quote:
I agree there is underemployment. Maybe that's because the folks that create jobs are holding tight, what with all this talk of taxing them to death?
Rich people dont create jobs, demand does, and American demand has been creating plenty of jobs at FoxConn.

Quote:
And no, it's NOT my problem, that people won't work hard and get ahead by choice.
Well, when 20 of them show up on your doorstep armed, try to reason with them as to why you thought you should keep your money rather then contribute to food stamps. You see, they arent just going to starve in the street like youd want them to, theyre going to come take your food. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies