Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, you are correct. Millions of us have started with nothing, worked hard, learned productive skills, lived within our means and moved up the economic ladder.

That is the American Dream and it's alive and well today.

Is the American experience somehow different or better than the experience of workers in other developed countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM

994 posts, read 724,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
So, you acknowledge that everyone DOESNT have the same opportunities.....thanks!

Instead, we should teach them that as a child, they deserve to have been born destitude with a crack head for a mother, and we should send them to inadequate schools, with the bottom of the barrel teachers, poorly nourished, inadequatley cared for, and in a terrible and often violent enviroment, while we dangle some "golden carrot" over their head, that even they are smart enough to realize they have almost no shot in hell of ever getting.

Great solution.....seems to working out just fine here in the good ol' US of A.
Of course your solution is to tell them that they aren't responsible for anything, and that they should expect the government is here to take care of them. Rich white men have stolen the wealth from everyone else. They can't be expected to go out and work for anything on their own. The system is rigged against them and instread of overcoming obstacles you will teach them to use obstacles as excuses to not even make an effort. You will fill them full of a sense of entitlement and hate. So how exactly is that better?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
No, they dont. The US has some of the least economic mobility in the civilized world.

Understanding Mobility in America

Almost all of that "movement" you speak of is within 1 income quintile, and the highest predictor of a childs income is their parents income, which speaks for the outright lack of equality of opportunity in this country.

It is a myth, dispite the right wing media soldiering against it. For every one poor kid that makes it to the top 1%, 99 of them dont, and of those 99, well over half can look foward to life as poor adult. In fact, even middle quintile children are more likely to achieve a LOWER income then their parents, then a higher income, but nearly 100% of them end up either in the identical income quintile or within 1 income quintile higher or lower.
You can continue to think that way.

I'll continue following the American dream, of which I was raised in a poor family, with my "ambition" following in my father, uncles and grandfathers footsteps into warehouse work, factory work and truck driving.

I made the decision to go into a different direction of a higher paying career, saving, investing and having better quality of life.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
So, you acknowledge that everyone DOESNT have the same opportunities.....thanks!
Absolutely. I've always recognized unfortunate circumstances. A kid with irresponsible parents is at a disadvantage. A kid who has parents encouraging them to study in school has an advantage. That will never change.

Quote:
Instead, we should teach them that as a child, they deserve to have been born destitude with a crack head for a mother, and we should send them to inadequate schools, with the bottom of the barrel teachers, poorly nourished, inadequatley cared for, and in a terrible and often violent enviroment, while we dangle some "golden carrot" over their head, that even they are smart enough to realize they have almost no shot in hell of ever getting.

Great solution.....seems to working out just fine here in the good ol' US of A.
Nobody deserves to be born in poor circumstances. Nobody deserves to be born in advantageous circumstances. "Deserve" has nothing to do with life. But until you can control who can have kids, that will never change. The only solution is to prevent people from having kids in these environments... and good luck on getting that on the table.

Fortunately, many kids overcome their poor circumstances.

And that is not a "solution" proposed by anyone as you state.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
I'm not all about punishing the rich; I'm in favor of punishing the greedy. I'm in favor of holding them accountable and us not catering to them day in and day out. You and many others seem to think trickle down economics is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you've never heard of the Ass-and-Oats Theory. The most practical solution to all this would be the Edwards Deming Model. Look it up on Wikipedia when you have the time.
Who are more greedy than those in the recipient class?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Is the American experience somehow different or better than the experience of workers in other developed countries?

I suspect that it is quite similar or maybe better if your normalize for demographics.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Of course your solution is to tell them that they aren't responsible for anything, and that they should expect the government is here to take care of them. Rich white men have stolen the wealth from everyone else. They can't be expected to go out and work for anything on their own. The system is rigged against them and instread of overcoming obstacles you will teach them to use obstacles as excuses to not even make an effort. You will fill them full of a sense of entitlement and hate. So how exactly is that better?

No, I would propose to simply remove the obstacles, and let the chips fall.

Rich and "succesful" people are only comfortable playing with a stacked deck.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The problem I've observed among people working for low wages is that their basic cost of living rises faster than their wages.

You can save a little over time by sacrificing and have it all wiped out by a rent increase or by food and energy inflation.
I've witnessed it with my own brother.

He complains about being broke, constantly.

What does he do?

Buys cigarettes and beer.

How am I possibly responsible for this?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Rich and "succesful" people are only comfortable playing with a stacked deck.
A total lie. Your broad brush painting everyone who is successful like this is insulting to millions of us.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Fortunately, many kids overcome their poor circumstances.
Actually, both of our statistics show that AT BEST, 1/3 of kids overcome anything.

On the other hand, I bet you about 95% of all people in jail came from the lowest income quintile. In fact I will almost GUARANTEE you that a kid born to the lowest income quintile has a higher chance of going to prison then making it past the middle income quintile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies